• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pro-Ject Perspective

ScaleAutoArt

Super Member
How does the Pro-Ject Perspective [non carbon arm] compare to my Genie 3 with speedbox and acrylic platter? I would also move my DL-110 to it.

AND...would the VPI Traveler [1st generation] be a better setup?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Not sure but I have a Perspective II / 9cc arm with a Speed Box 2 and it sounds magnificent, the Speed Box tightens everything up.

I imagine it would be a step up from the Genie 3.
 
in which case it seems you've already decided.
Well, not really. I had a Traveler for a few months and it was a nice table but had a fragile arm that required lots of attention. I know what I will need to deal with to avoid any problems [as long as the arm arrives in one piece].

The question is will the Pro-Ject get me to the same..or perhaps a better place? The Genie 3 as it now set up is pretty good so I assume the Perspective will be a nice upgrade...that's real the question.

I am also looking at this as an intermediate step to eventually acquiring a Scout. So perhaps the resale on the Traveler will be better and this would be part of my decision.
 
Be sure you can audition the Perspective beforehand or if buying online from a vendor with a solid return policy just in case you end up with a faulty Pro-Ject motor. the Perspective has the same suspended on a rubber band mounting for its motor found on the Debut and Xpression models. Some folks have no problems with noise or else don't mind it, but some of us have had the problem. I've been through two turntables and three motors, all of which had the same problem. Since the motor on your Genie is completely decoupled from the plinth (as far as I can tell from photos anyway), you probably don't have a problem.
 
The smart move would be to the VPI Traveler that doesn't need upgrades/fixin.

I would call the seller and ask them if the tone arm screws have been modified to the longer screws. Other than the short screw issue I am not aware of significant problems with the 1st gen Traveler.
 
I was in a similar situation as you about a year ago. I had a Genie with speedbox and wanted to stick with pro-ject. I intended to buy the 5.1 and auditioned it with the $400 MC Sumiko Blue point 2. It was definitely a step up but my dealer had a Clearaudio concept next to it with the $200 MM cart and it blew the Pro-ject out of the water. The concept is about $25% more expensive than the 5.1 but had a cheaper cart and still sounded much better.

In the end I ended up getting away from Pro-ject and haven't looked back. A lot of people would consider the Traveler in the same class as the Clearaudio. I think both would be a step up from a sub $1000 Pro-ject table.

Good luck with your search!
 
I got a hell of a deal on my marantz TT 15 great table love it complete with a ebony clear audio cart mm I paid only 1250 otd and shipped to my door
 
I was in a similar situation as you about a year ago. I had a Genie with speedbox and wanted to stick with pro-ject. I intended to buy the 5.1 and auditioned it with the $400 MC Sumiko Blue point 2. It was definitely a step up but my dealer had a Clearaudio concept next to it with the $200 MM cart and it blew the Pro-ject out of the water. The concept is about $25% more expensive than the 5.1 but had a cheaper cart and still sounded much better.

In the end I ended up getting away from Pro-ject and haven't looked back. A lot of people would consider the Traveler in the same class as the Clearaudio. I think both would be a step up from a sub $1000 Pro-ject table.

Good luck with your search!

I was looking at the old stock that Music Direct had...but suddenly it is listed as "discontinued" so I may just save my pennies and wait until I can afford either a new or gently used Scout. I think VPI may also be doing something new with the Traveler, i.e. larger platter and different motor [which I saw in the company tour].

The Genie 3 I have on board is doing fine for what it is...no noise issues and mated up with the DL-110 is a happy combination. Of course my upgrades helped a lot...better footers, heavier acrylic platter and speed box all doing their job :music:

The only reason I was looking at the used Perspective was the better tone arm and less awkward plinth. It looks to be a very solid table. From what I am reading here no one is throwing much praise at it so I may just keep filling up the piggy bank.
 
Pro-Ject tables are not in the same class as VPI (Made in USA)or ClearAudio (Made in Germany).
 
I am pretty sure the one I am looking at is the early version of that.
Perhaps not. There is a version of the Perspective that is made with a clear acrylic plinth so it looks something like the Perspex. However, it has a single plinth with everything mounted to it and the motor hanging from a type of rubber band, just like all the lower-end model Pro-Jects except for the Genie, whereas the Perspex has a two-piece plinth with the motor mounted to the bottom and the platter/bearing and tonearm mounted on the top section, which is magnetically suspended. I've thought about the Perspex as a possible upgrade once my budget allows, but after two turntables with noise problems (three motors counting the replacement I put on the second tt I had) and two phono stages with problems (one was defective from day one and the other developed noise problems) I'm very leery of ever putting money into another Pro-Ject product. For the kind of money I'd put into a Perspex, I could go for a VPI, a Rega, a Clearaudio, a Sota, lots of choices really.

In fact, as I write this, I'm thinking you should definitely check out a Clearaudio Concept. I believe it runs about the same price as a Perspective without a cartridge. The DL-110 performs way above it's price class and would probably be a fine match for the Concept. I'm seriously considering one next for next spring and mating it with my AT-OC9MLII.
 
I think clearaudio has had their share of qc gripes as well....I would stick with the perspex or a vpi.
 
Back
Top Bottom