• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Pure i-20 iPod dock

I'm new to the digital media. Just got (before reading this thread) a Cambridge Dacmagic and ID100 (digital doc). I am having a problem with static pops, very much like you'd hear on a vinyl record with dust pops. Seems to be coming from my iphone4 / id100 combo. All my music is on my phone and laptop, and both can be hooked to the dacmagic, so with a/b comparisons the sound quality is as close as my ears can tell, but the iphone in the doc produces the static. Tried another ID100 with same results, changed cables, optic, digital input and even on another system. Same results. Pops don't go away.
Seller says "don't use the iphone for music, use an ipod" ...what would be the difference? I put it in airplane mode and ringer off, isn't that the same as an ipod?

Thinking about sending it all back and getting the Pure i-20 in the first post of this thread. Sounds like a good little "trouble free" inexpensive option.

Can anyone comment on their iphone creating this static pop?

Also should the digital doc out perform the usb from a laptop?
Thanks
 
Last edited:
I must not be seeing the same page?

http://support.pure.com/us/kb_cat.php?id=10

I see the Touch & iPhone supported back to the 2nd G, but the newest iPod I see supported is the 6th G Classic; that would leave out my 5.5 Video and older, as well as the original series.....
:scratch2:

Their lists are contradictory. On the same page we get this:



And on this page:

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61429&Category=Lounge

there's a pop-up link that shows the 80 gig classic.

??

I think the distinctions between Generations are deliberately confusing; some Marketing Maven's brainstorm, no doubt

It seems like you are equating capacity w/ Generation?

There are units of ovelapping capacity across Generations:

an 80 GB Classic is a later Generation unit than a (5th Gen) Video which also comes in an 80GB model (or at least did in the curiously named 5.5 Gen units)

From the Apple Webpage

iPod (5th generation Late 2006)
—also known as iPod with video or Fifth Generation iPod


iPod (5th generation)—also known as iPod with video or Fifth Generation iPod

The iPod (5th generation) is a a hard drive-based iPod featuring a large, widescreen color display, a Click Wheel, and the capability of displaying photos and videos. Like iPod nano, it uses USB for syncing and comes in white and black.

You can distinguish the iPod (5th generation Late 2006) from the original iPod (5th generation) by the last three digits of the serial number. The iPod (5th generation Late 2006) serial number's last three digits will be one of the following: V9K, V9P, V9M, V9R, V9L, V9N, V9Q, V9S, WU9, WUA, WUB, WUC, and X3N. The Fifth Generation U2 Special Edition iPod (30 GB Late 2006) serial number's last three digits are W9G.

iPod classic
The iPod classic is a hard drive-based iPod (80 GB or 160 GB) featuring a large, widescreen color display, a Click Wheel, and the capability of displaying photos and videos. Like other models, it uses USB for syncing. The iPod classic is available in silver and black, and has an anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel enclosure.

You can distinguish the iPod classic from the iPod (5th generation) by the last three digits of the serial number. The iPod classic serial number's last three digits will be one of the following: Y5N, YMU, YMV, and YMX.
 
Last edited:
I'm new to the digital media. Just got (before reading this thread) a Cambridge Dacmagic and ID100 (digital doc). I am having a problem with static pops, very much like you'd hear on a vinyl record with dust pops. Seems to be coming from my iphone4 / id100 combo. All my music is on my phone and laptop, and both can be hooked to the dacmagic, so with a/b comparisons the sound quality is as close as my ears can tell, but the iphone in the doc produces the static. Tried another ID100 with same results, changed cables, optic, digital input and even on another system. Same results. Pops don't go away.
Seller says "don't use the iphone for music, use an ipod" ...what would be the difference? I put it in airplane mode and ringer off, isn't that the same as an ipod?

Thinking about sending it all back and getting the Pure i-20 in the first post of this thread. Sounds like a good little "trouble free" inexpensive option.

Can anyone comment on their iphone creating this static pop?

Also should the digital doc out perform the usb from a laptop?
Thanks

My iPhone 4 does the same thing. I get crackley noises on certain songs, like the beginning of Miles Davis's All Blues or So What. I normally hear it when I'm listening to headphones on the train (I've tried different pairs and it's def the iphone). It's weird that you'd hear it when linked to a digital dock, but it must be something with the iPhone's internal electronics.

If you can run a digital-out from your computer to your DAC, then sound quality should be identical to any other digital source (iPod, etc), minus the crackles. The digital dock simply extracts the 1s and 0s from you iPhone, which is what a digital-out (e.g., USB as opposed to RCA cord) from your computer does.

All of that being said, I use a 6th gen iPod with the Pure dock as my primary music source and there are no crackles.
Sounds great.
Steve
 
Last edited:
Can anyone who has one of these tell me if I use the composite output and connect it to my TV will it show the same image on my TV screen that's on my ipod classic when listening to music? Or is the video outputs only for showing pictures or videos? This would make it a no brainer for me cuz if I can't SEE what I'm trying to access from the small ipod screen accross the room then I'm not sure if this will work for me, thanks.
 
Just pulled the trigger on the Pure I-20. It is exactly what I've been looking for at the right price. It will replace the cheap audio cable from my iPod touch to my preamp, and remove the need for keeping the iPod charger always plugged in too.

Somehow Pandora on the iPod has become my most listened to source. The variety is huge and the sound is pretty good. Here's hoping it gets even better...

I love AK - glad I happened onto this thread!

Jblnut
 
Just ordered one based on the esteemed opinions here. I found a used iPod touch last week for $50, which replaces my recently deceased iPod classic that saw a lot of use over several years. This will be a fantastic $150 system. I'll try both the digital out going to my Peachtree DAC and the analogue out in my bedroom headphone system. I'm excited!
 
I have yet to try the DAC in the i20 but I have to comment the coax out sounds mighty fine into my Music Hall DAC 25.3. I am less impressed with the toslink out. This is using Apple lossless format.
 
Good to know, looking forward to trying out all of the options. I'm thinking it will be used as a source for my bedroom headphone amp, and therefore I'll use the internal DAC and the line out. My computer is already connected to my main rig already so an iPod there would be mostly redundant.
 
I received mine a couple days ago. Very nice. I am having but one issue.

I can not get video out. I was just trying to connect composite and nada. I have not tested s-video cause you need a cable that is not supplied. I still need to test the component video.

Thoughts on composite video?
 
I received mine a couple days ago. Very nice. I am having but one issue.

I can not get video out. I was just trying to connect composite and nada. I have not tested s-video cause you need a cable that is not supplied. I still need to test the component video.

Thoughts on composite video?
Did you try playing a video from the iTunes (iPod) library. I am not sure that video is compatible with all apps. I only played with that feature a few minutes and I seem to remember that video had to be playing for it to show up.
 
On my pod you have to navigate through more than one menu to turn on all the video options, and even then it only shows videos, not the iPod menu. that sucks.
 
Ok, did some more diddlin.

First. I'm running an iPhone 3GS. I ment to say that earlier.

I tried video out into 3 different video displays. Only one tried to show info.

I tried the component cable into one tv and I get two crappy pictures side by side.

When I do try both utube and music videos the iPhone says a tv is connected. There is no complaint from the iPhone like when I plug into a different cheapie dock.

Maybe it's the iPhone thing. It's not an iPod.
 
Ok, did some more diddlin.

First. I'm running an iPhone 3GS. I ment to say that earlier.

I tried video out into 3 different video displays. Only one tried to show info.

I tried the component cable into one tv and I get two crappy pictures side by side.

When I do try both utube and music videos the iPhone says a tv is connected. There is no complaint from the iPhone like when I plug into a different cheapie dock.

Maybe it's the iPhone thing. It's not an iPod.

I used a 3GS for testing mine and it seemed to work for Netflix and some other apps. You should probably contact Pure and see if they have a suggestion.
 
Got mine today - love it! I'm using the DAC in the unit and it does sound a bit different from the internal DAC in the iPod. I need more time to draw any definite conclusions.

The remote is very handy and the unit seems pretty well made. Can't beat it for the money....


Jblnut
 
Video is working. I guess I am going to have to RTFM from now on. Or the obvious is getting by me anymore. There's a video button on the remote. It switches the output between composite and s-video/component.
 
So can someone clarify that the ipod menu WILL NOT show up on my TV monitor when playing music or has no one been able to figure it out? It would seem a pretty simple thing if it has 3 video outputs that it should be able to show the menu for music listening. Otherwise the small screen on my classic would be too hard to see from 15 feet away, anyone?
 
From what I can tell. On the iPhone you get the screen on a monitor for video only and never see the iPhone screen on the monitor.
 
Mine came today at work. I wanted o try it out but I can't because my Accurian amp takes RCA inputs and the i-20 only came with 3.5mm to RCA cables. Why would they package that when the analogue output of their dock has RCA connections? Do they really thing most people would have a 3.5mm connection on their amplifier? Wouldn't an RCA to RCA make a lot more sense? Granted almost everyone will use a better cable anyway, but a 3.5mm to RCA is useless in this application. Am I just not thinking clearly here?
 
Back
Top Bottom