• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Qobuz HiRez streaming has finally hit the U.S. and it’s really really good

Your not getting a Military discount from the French :confused:


I was really hoping this was an all roll out for qobuz so we could all discuss how it sounds the interface etc , I’m kinda bummed I’m the only one to experience this right now . I can tell you guys that the sound quality is really really good , seems much more consistent than Tidal.

Audiofreak71
 
the New York Audio Show...Nov 9-11 is featuring a big Qobuz presentation...
There was one recently at the Rocky Mountain Audio show as well and people thought after that they would release it throughout the U.S. guess not. Are you going to it ? If so maybe you can ask a rep what going on and when is the official U.S. launch ?.

Audiofreak71
 
Except for the cheapest plan, Qobuz seems quite expensive to me. Sound quality better be excellent at these prices.
I would have to say that so far the price is justified for the amount of artists to choose from and the consistent excellent sound compared to tidal .

Audiofreak71
 
Expensive? It depends how you look at it.

It seems their monthly high-res plan is £24.99 for the UK and €24.99 for Europe, so I'm thinking it will be $24.99 for the US as well. Tidal HiFi if I remember was $19.99 for CD-quality lossless, and Qobuz's plans are similar in the UK and EU at €19.99 and £19.99.

$24.99 is the cost of an average high-res download, or the cost of two average CDs today. I've spent way more than that per month in the past on music. (In the 80s, I was probably buying at least two new CDs per week.) All of us have equipment that cost more than that...some of us even have spent 10x or 100x as much as that for some components in the system. Give up eating out for a few lunches, or a few of those $tarbuck$ coffees per month, and it's covered. :)

The only drawback is that (at least for me), I would probably discover even more music I'd want to own, and I'd fall down that rabbit hole of buying even more music than I do now. :D I'm not sure if Qobuz will offer it here, but they offer a yearly Sublime+ package for £299/year, which includes high-res streaming plus a discount on purchasing high-res titles. For someone who is a frequent flier, the extra cost of that plan could more than pay for itself over the course of a year.

Otherwise, they have yearly plans which is equivalent to paying for 10 months and getting the last two months free. (£24.99/month vs. £249.99/year.)
 
Expensive? It depends how you look at it.

It seems their monthly high-res plan is £24.99 for the UK and €24.99 for Europe, so I'm thinking it will be $24.99 for the US as well. Tidal HiFi if I remember was $19.99 for CD-quality lossless, and Qobuz's plans are similar in the UK and EU at €19.99 and £19.99.

$24.99 is the cost of an average high-res download, or the cost of two average CDs today. I've spent way more than that per month in the past on music. (In the 80s, I was probably buying at least two new CDs per week.) All of us have equipment that cost more than that...some of us even have spent 10x or 100x as much as that for some components in the system. Give up eating out for a few lunches, or a few of those $tarbuck$ coffees per month, and it's covered. :)

The only drawback is that (at least for me), I would probably discover even more music I'd want to own, and I'd fall down that rabbit hole of buying even more music than I do now. :D I'm not sure if Qobuz will offer it here, but they offer a yearly Sublime+ package for £299/year, which includes high-res streaming plus a discount on purchasing high-res titles. For someone who is a frequent flier, the extra cost of that plan could more than pay for itself over the course of a year.

Otherwise, they have yearly plans which is equivalent to paying for 10 months and getting the last two months free. (£24.99/month vs. £249.99/year.)
I hope you are right because 24.99 euros and 24.99 british pounds do not equate to $24.99 US.
 
I've been a holdout because Tidal seems like it leans more toward hip hop (not my thing) and they seem to be "all in" with the MQA power grab. I have been watching QuBuz. Sounds impressive. I'm in - at least for a trial. I will walk away if they start with the MQA nonsense though.

Nice thread BTW.
 
I've been a holdout because Tidal seems like it leans more toward hip hop (not my thing) and they seem to be "all in" with the MQA power grab. I have been watching QuBuz. Sounds impressive. I'm in - at least for a trial. I will walk away if they start with the MQA nonsense though.

Nice thread BTW.
I wouldn’t say tidal has anymore hip hop than Spotify or qobuz, it’s just that the first thing your presented with on tidal is usually a hip hop artist, which doesn’t bother me personally because I usually find what I’m looking for when searching. MQA doesn’t bother me either , as a matter of fact comparing qobuz hi res with tidal Mqa titles are about equal in sound quality to my ears . Qobuz is better so far for me because the sound quality has been much more consistent across the board than Tidal and they do have a very nice diverse music selection.

Thanks for the compliment btw . I just hope more can experience qobuz soon like I am right now because it really is nice

Audiofreak71
 
I will walk away if they start with the MQA nonsense though.

Why would offering MQA cause you to walk away? In the case of Tidal, MQA doesn't take anything away. It just adds a better sounding, authenticated master option in case people want to take advantage of it, in addition to all the CD-quality content. For no additional cost. Pretty non-threatening to me.
 
Many audiophiles I'm thinking will move from Tidal to Qobuz as, for a small additional fee per month, they'll get genuine lossless high-res, from better sounding masters (which has a lot to do with why some Qobuz titles sound better than Tidal's), along with a larger catalog and a far better platform to access the content with. (Tidal's search has issues.)

I hope you are right because 24.99 euros and 24.99 british pounds do not equate to $24.99 US.
For sure. We are closer to Euros than GBPs in the exchange rate at the moment (€£24.99 is $28.45, and £24.99 is $32.40), but I thought I'd read something in a press release or conversation from someone at Qobuz US giving those same price points as USD. (Or at the very least, they may have mentioned high-res would be $24.99/month.) And I think they're right in there with the competition if they stick to the $9.99/$19.99 tiers, which match Tidal's. Given how competitive the streaming market is, I doubt they are going to price their tiers any higher--for most consumers out there, whoever offers the most for the same dollar spent will be the most attractive to them.
 
I tried to start a free trial on their website, and it gave me the country not available message.

Then, downloaded the app on my iPhone, and was able to start a "Hi-Fi" tier subscription from the app, which is limited to CD quality streaming. That was the only choice available.

Next, I set up my BluOS app to sign in to my Qobuz account. Now, I can stream CD quality via my Bluesound Node out to the stereo. The Node is hard-wired to the main router.

I don't have a Tidal subscription, but will compare with Spotify over the weekend ...
 
I tried to start a free trial on their website, and it gave me the country not available message.

Then, downloaded the app on my iPhone, and was able to start a "Hi-Fi" tier subscription from the app, which is limited to CD quality streaming. That was the only choice available.

Next, I set up my BluOS app to sign in to my Qobuz account. Now, I can stream CD quality via my Bluesound Node out to the stereo. The Node is hard-wired to the main router.

I don't have a Tidal subscription, but will compare with Spotify over the weekend ...
Awesome, finally someone who got in, I hope you can give some feedback like I have when you’ve done some listening.

Audiofreak71
 
I tried to start a free trial on their website, and it gave me the country not available message.

Then, downloaded the app on my iPhone, and was able to start a "Hi-Fi" tier subscription from the app, which is limited to CD quality streaming. That was the only choice available.

Next, I set up my BluOS app to sign in to my Qobuz account. Now, I can stream CD quality via my Bluesound Node out to the stereo. The Node is hard-wired to the main router.

I don't have a Tidal subscription, but will compare with Spotify over the weekend ...
Did you click on the 16-44 resolution button and check the drop down to make sure you can go 24/96 24/192? Because I have those options .

Audiofreak71
 
Why would offering MQA cause you to walk away? In the case of Tidal, MQA doesn't take anything away. It just adds a better sounding, authenticated master option in case people want to take advantage of it, in addition to all the CD-quality content. For no additional cost. Pretty non-threatening to me.

There is nothing "authenticated master quality" except in name only. There is nothing "better sounding" about it either (compared to the original HiRes file). Unless the original master recording process was done with MQA encoders (very few newer titles have been), what you are listening to is nothing but an MQA-encoded HiRes file. I don't need MQA to listen to a HiRes stream. MQA was originally marketed as a requirement to be able to stream HiRes files by compressing the data into smaller files. In this regard, MQA is a solution to a problem that does not exist. There are no issues with streaming bandwidth for HiRes files today. There are lossless compression algorithms such as FLAC and ALAC to name a couple. If you want to listen to another audio compression algorithm, OK. Not me. MQA is being sold to audiophiles as the next greatest thing when it is actually a data rights management tool for the music companies. It's all about the money. That's all it is. I'm really surprised at the number of audiophiles who are OK with another lossy compression scheme.

I don't want to start another one of these MQA debates, but I am going to defend my position on this with facts. I have no issue with data rights for the music industry, but I do have a problem with it being sold as some kind of new high fidelity discovery. It is not. I will take my digital as lossless and as bit perfect as possible thanks. YMMV
 
Yeah, I'm avoiding the mqa controversy here in this thread myself. ;) It's all about Qobuz and true hi-res streaming. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom