• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Racks that require break in and drastic changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still confiused how the bass just goes away and comes back strongly. If there were minor variations throughout the day based on different line voltages, i'd be slightly skeptical, but to completely go away so only mids/highs remain, then within minutes, it's back very strong again....I just don't see how a rack could cause this.

I have experienced this intermittent drop-out, BUT it was traced to a bad connection in a mid-range and tweeter in two separate speakers in a pair (high end speakers, but not "rarified"). I would venture if the output of a system is THAT temperamental then there are larger issues with the overall system.

And yes, Lamm equipment, in my experience is first rate, and expensive, dare I say rarified.
 
Last edited:
Are you absolutely sure the speaker lines and interconnects are in phase? I would play a test tone disc and see if both woofers travel forward. What if this no bass deal doesn't ever straighten out (after 300 or even 400 hours of break in), I assume you could get your money back.:scratch2:
 
I'm still confiused how the bass just goes away and comes back strongly. If there were minor variations throughout the day based on different line voltages, i'd be slightly skeptical, but to completely go away so only mids/highs remain, then within minutes, it's back very strong again....I just don't see how a rack could cause this.

I don't see how anything could cause that...except a malfunction.
 
The Stereophile 2010 CES blog shows Lamm amps on these racks, if I'm not mistaken. Lamm is top shelf gear.

But wouldn't they have only a temporary set-up at CES? So how do they account for break in period with a temporary setup?

Nice racks, BTW, regardless of what's going on.
 
Seems like all the speaker cables and interconnects would have been disconnected while placing the gear on the rack. Ample opportunity for a damaged cable, dirty connection, or something loose or incorrectly connected to start acting up. I'd check all that before concluding that the rack is having the kind of drastic sounding effect that's being reported.
 
I watch this thread with interest due to it being a new concept to me.
but really have nothing to add to the discussion of any value .

so I will watch and may even learn something and occasionally under my breath due to the price of these things say wow:jawdrop:
 
Seems like all the speaker cables and interconnects would have been disconnected while placing the gear on the rack. Ample opportunity for a damaged cable, dirty connection, or something loose or incorrectly connected to start acting up. I'd check all that before concluding that the rack is having the kind of drastic sounding effect that's being reported.

My thinking exactly.:yes:
 
I love it. We are all going through trouble shooting measure, ha... I just got off the phone with Joe and he was exausted from the show for sure. I got a few questions answered. Also he said one other person a while ago kept a log of all that was going on like I am and it never got put up anywhere so he figured it would be cool to put mine up on there site when complete. That sound cool to me I told him. answers below.
1. Can you change equipment or cables or speakers once 300 hour break in is complete? answer: yes, the equilibrium will be affect by nearly any changes but will settle out in a short time normally within 4 hours and maximum of 48 hours in there experience. so changes have to be made and allowed some time before you decide if you like it or not. . Moving speakers will also affect it.
2. racks being used at shows. The rack is broken in prior to the show with the equipment it will be used with. Then set up at show to allow it to get back to equilibrium as soon as possible before people start listening to it. They generally don't have problems doing it like this and it is all they can do but have been sucessful doing it this way to this point.
3. I was treated to a session of listening this morning that was truely wonderful. I told Joe this and he laughed and said well prepare to be disappointed when you get home because I can assure you it won't be the same. He said it will at times get really good then go right back out again but don't worry, it will settle and won't change unless you change something at that point and then the process doesn't take long to get back.
 
Yeah the racks may make a difference somehow... but what about all the different kind of floors the stands are going to be set on?

I have an open mind for most of this stuff but something smells fishy. Maybe Lamm does have their amps sitting on the stands. Maybe they feel the people that are likely to spend that much money on these stands will have no problem paying top dollar for their amps. I'm sure they don't want them sitting on a flexy rack. Maybe they think they just look cool.

racks will work on any floor. They supply feet if you are not on a concrete slab like I am. You still use spikes but there are feet for under the spike so they don't mess up your floor. I'm on a slab with carpet and in that case you want the spike to go through the carpet to the concrete so no feet.
 
I also learned from Joe today that YES, I can change the music as someone suggest and that its better to change it periodically so it can get different music reactions or something. So right after dinner I am putting on some Diar Straits.
 
Beerdraft, may I ask what music do you listen to,and did this rack actually cost $16 grand?
I listen to anything from soft Jazz to Classic Rock, Blues, and some classical which is what my wife likes. I really like all sorts of music. Love Chesky stuff and Sheffield labs. Yes really 17k cost. If they do as claimed it'll be well worth it to me.
 
Ok, good news and bad news. first the bass was back in full power when I got down. Second the stage was terrible, narrow, forward, and very fatiguing. That said I changed to dire straits brothers in arms. I listen to the first two songs while gritting my teeth, squinting my eyes and wanting to close my ears. that said I had bass for the entire first song but by song two "money for nothing", it was fading fast and by the end of the song I could hardly hear the drum that is so nice and full of bass through out that song. I then went back to song one and yeap it was still weak on bass as could be. Not completely gone but very very weak like I went from Sasha to my little yamaha book shelves in my 19 feet by 33 feet room, and believe me I know what that is like because I played them on my Mc2301's for several weeks after I ridded of the 802D and was waiting on the sasha. I will let this disc play through the night but I can't listen any more because it is worse than offle right now.
 
What if you took the gear off the racks and set it on the carpet? Would it still sound like crap, or instantly improve? I can open my mind enough to see how vibration isolation in a rack could help some equipment, but how does it make uber expensive gear sound terrible?
 
What audio gear is sold by the folks where you bought the rack system?

look it up it was Glen Poors Audio up in Illinois. I've only been there once because I was up that way working and wanted to check out a place while up there since two channel is more popular there than here in the south. I know they had BAT, Mcintosh, Siena speakers, Wilson, Spiral Groove TT, oh and those really big horn like looking speakers that are super expensive and super nice to look at, Esoteric, man the list would go on. They have a lot of gear there and well set up to which is key. Every room sounded very nice which is sometimes hard to find in a store.
 
I don't know if I missed it but is there a specific break in sequence you are supposed to follow?

If the sound of your system keeps changing with the different music you play I don't get how you are supposed to know what to play to make it sound the best. What's their recommendation?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom