• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rare Altec Beauties in FL

Register to hide this ad
Haven't seen those before...Anyone know how they sound?
They should be somewhere in the vicinity of superb, same basic components as the 9844A studio monitor but oriented differently.

The dual 414 woofers are arranged vertically with the 811/806A above them at the top of the cabinet.................... more traditional i guess you could call it.

Hopefully one of the Altec sites will eventually have a catalog page on them posted.
 
Those are cool. :yes: So are these about the same size as A7's I've seem that were in similar cabinets made for home use? Which would sound better?
 
They're a little smaller than A7 magnificents, and are bass reflex on the LF.

I have 9844A's and the polar response of the dual 12's in the side by side configuration mimics the polar response of the 811horn, in the case of the 9844's they present a good deal of the dynamics of the A7, and have a warmer more extended bottom end at the expense of efficiency and max spl output.

I've never heard Malibu's so my guess is they'd be similar, but with maybe a bit narrower sweet spot since the woofer dispersion is going to be more or less perpendicular to the pattern of the 811 horn................... just a guess mind you.

I'll go as far as to say they'll outperform valencia's on some types of music because the dual 414's's will respond more dynamically(faster) with better cone control than the single 416 woofer of the valencia with nearly the same LF extension.

I think a redesigned network could be a large improvement for any of the dual 12 + horn Altecs, properly done i think they'd equal the best of anything Altec did.
 
I own Heath AS-21s which are are a home version of the 9844 and use the same guts as the Malibus.

I'm with Bowtie, I can't think of a thing he said I'd disagree with, which is irritating......;)
 
I doubt I'll win, but it's fun!
May the force be with you.

Never underestimate the power of the karma. Those present a shipping challenge so if you're local you have a big advantage already.

I'm with Bowtie, I can't think of a thing he said I'd disagree with, which is irritating......
LOL................. every once in a while i catch myself off guard and get it right.:D
 
Shipping? No problemo

May the force be with you.

Never underestimate the power of the karma. Those present a shipping challenge so if you're local you have a big advantage already.

LOL................. every once in a while i catch myself off guard and get it right.:D

If by some miracle I win them, I'll drive over and pick them up. Maybe a 3-4 hours away.

I would only bid on something for local pickup, unless it was small and light.
 
I'm kinda glad I don't live in the 'States.I'd be broke long ago from the ever growing collection of Altecs I'd be amassing
Bullsh*t I'm glad :dammit:

Jeez I envy you guys sometimes. :tears:
 
On the other hand....

I'm kinda glad I don't live in the 'States.I'd be broke long ago from the ever growing collection of Altecs I'd be amassing
Bullsh*t I'm glad :dammit:

Jeez I envy you guys sometimes. :tears:

Not all of us are able to live just off the Great Barrier Reef. I've heard since I've visited that things have gone downhill though. For example, in 1988 Cairns was a sleepy little seaside town full of backpackers and tour boat hustlers. Now I've heard it's full of high rises instead. Supposedly the reef has also taken a hit. Bet Cape Trib is still beautiful though....Drink a Fence (or 6) for me Mate!:thmbsp:
 
Things have changed here since '88 alright,but I assure you,you've only got to travel 20Ks out of town and nothing's changed in donkeyears.:D
There's plenty of the wild frontier left in Aussieland.
I live about 900Km(south)from Cairns.The Reef proper begins about 150 Km north of here.If you ever went to the Gold Coast,the Sunshine Coast is a sleepy less developed,more relaxed version of the Goldy.
If the developers get their way(most likely),it'll turn into the monstrosity of glitz and scam that the Gold Coast has become.
I grew up on the Goldy,and it almost makes me cry to see how they spoiled that place.I hate going there now.:tears:
There's lots of places in this country where you can set foot on land never walked-upon by Europeans(or their descendents).True survival-stuff.
Lovely.

http://www.sunshinecoast.org/
 
So far I've bid $210.00. I can't go much higher, so I expect to lose this auction. It was a lark. I expect them to go for over $500, maybe $750, or more.

This could be addictive!

Rick
 
You started this!


If I win these things it's all your fault for sending me that link. I have no place to put them. I can't lift them by myself. I don't know what I'm going to do with them! Now stand in the corner until this auctions over....

Whoever else is bidding starts about 9am and outbids me by about $2.00 each time. I don't know much about bidding strategy, but I imagine whoever is watching is going to snag them at the last second.

Do you have any idea what the real value of the Malibu are?

Thanks,
Rick
 
Back
Top Bottom