• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rca victor solid state new vista

I've just bought a huge rca new vista! It has a tv (it uses tubes) & a record player, & radio. It needs some love, but for 25$ I couldn't just let it go. I'll post lots of pics c:
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 108
Register to hide this ad
Does anyone know about the discoloration on the tv? The man said it did Come on the only thing that didn't work was the record player. Of course I'll take the back off to inspect the wiring & clean out the dust.
 
That picture tube has what is sometimes called a cataract. Sort of a mold growth between the front safety screen and the tube itself. All glued together with a plastic layer for shatter resistance. Can be removed and cleaned but is a process for sure. I have a similar Magnavox theater that I restored. I put a TruFlat RCA 27 inch flat screen CRT type TV to replace the old round tube set that had the same problem as yours. Good bit of work to do this but nice when finished. The record changer in yours might be a VM model, known for hardened idler wheels that won't turn the platter, not easy to find this idler these days. Shoot a couple pictures of the insides of that beast, always interest in the guts of these stereos.
 
Yeh I might try to clean it. Or just leave it, I'm not sure yet but I haven't been able to look inside, except for the small holes in the cover on the back. Everything appears to be in great shape (except for the record player) the record player grips but I do think it is the idler. Once it's at my garage I'll definitely post some more pics the people at the thrift store are really cool & they are going to let me pick it up Friday. The man did say that the tv does come on, so is that a good sign?
 
It appears to be a 1967 top of the line model. This should have the separate amplifier rather than integrated. The record changer was made by RCA, is it not spinning? The motor probably needs cleaned
and lubed. This changer has the variable speed stroboscope. Be sure that is set properly, if I recall correctly, you have to push down on the knob and then turn to fine tune the speed.

The TV picture tube as noted above has the beginnings of a cataract, the pva between the safety glass and the tube starts to discolor. It can be removed carefully, watch youtube videos of it being done.
 
Yes, the Radio Receiver/Amplifier is Solid State, the TV is tubed. This model should have a separate solid state amplifier, rather than an integrated tuner/amp.
 
Ok, got it. That would be interesting since discrete power amps are not often seen from RCA. Let us know what's inside the box.
 
i will c: soon as i get it in my shop its still at the thrift store (I'm getting it friday) but from what i could see, it is packed on the inside & it has at least 4 speakers on each side. it maybe more, ill confirm once i take the back off. I'm most likely going to clean the picture tube the best i can. I'm going to try to keep everything original as possible.
 
RCA claimed 300 watts peak, but was actually about 18 watts RMS. Speakers should be 15"" woofers, horn midrange and 3.5 inch cone tweeters. It may have 7 inch oval midrange instead of horns depending
on the model number.
 
The TV coming on is a good sign but TV's run under way higher voltages than radios or stereos, about 21kv on the anode of the picture tube. Which will give you one heckva shock, if not kill you outright. It would be best to replace any electrolytic or paper caps in it. Also check the tubes. If you've never worked on one before, I'd probably just leave it as it and only fire it up once in a while for short periods. To get rid of the cataract, you have to remove the picture tube, then get the safety glass off, which is quite tricky as you will see when you do the videos, to get rid of the discoloration.
 
Well I've never worked on a tv before, but I know about the dangers & I also have a 61 magnavox imperial that I'm replacing the caps in, so I do have some experience with tubes. & yeh I'd imagine that it needs the caps to be replaced. & it is oval speakers
 
That changer might not be a VM. Really, RCA might have built it and it might have a self weighted cart.

When I was a kid we had the 1966 model, maybe TOTL, not sure. Had 15 X 9 " woofers, 4 X 6 " mids and 3½ " tweeters. Amp was OTL but cap coupled, with maybe 10 or 15 WPC. Of course back then I was like Tim the toolman Taylor and souped it up and it blew all the outputs and the woofers. Think I was about 13.

The Nuvista moniker actually refers to the RF amp in the TV tuner, which is a nuvistor, a super small low noise HF amp that gave it better sensitivity than what else was on the market. I used to like DXing TV, like watching Canadian stations from Lakewood, Ohio. Problem is they used an elcheapo wafer tuner that is much harder to clean and align than a turret tuner.

Have fun with it. If it has an AUX input all the much better. If not, get your pants on and plug in the soldering iron...
 
Those are all the picture control knobs
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom