• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

re-foam question

bobinaz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Is it necessary to replace the dust cap for a re-foam??

The dust cap is in real good shape and it sounds like asking for trouble if I try and replace it when it looks good. What do you guys do for a surrounf refoam??

thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
You have to remove the dustcap to put shims in the voice coil gap when gluing the outer foam to insure you dont get it out of allign and have the VC rub. Sorry.
 
OK....doing this for the first time. I checked decware.com site and they have a step by step plan to follow with pix. Towards the end I saw why the dust cap comes off - as you said. I'm re-foaming an old pair of Philips HIFI Lab speakers, model 477.
 
Uhhh ohhhh then I am in trouble I guess. But I wonder why the speakers work then? I have replace surrounds without removing the dustcap. While the glue is still wet, push the cone in and out and feel for scraping. It's easy to feel. If you feel it just adjust the cone this way or that. The cone naturally tries to center anyway. I just got doing some old Advent Kloss era surrounds and they work dynomite! Removing the dustcap can be a pain in the butt sometimes and if you don't have to I wouldn't.

Note. Older JBL drivers can have some serious tight tolerances and in that case it's likely that you may want to remove the dustcap and shim.
 
WW I'm with you. I've never removed the dust cap either. I'm sure that is the preferred method but its just quicker and easier if you don't remove it. I agree its fairly easy to lightly push down on the woofer and listen for the voice coil rubbing. I've never done a pair of JBL's so can't say what they'd be like tolerance wise.

Mike
 
I have done a couple of vintage JBL drivers pairs and not removed the dust caps. If the spider is in good shape the coil will still be centered. The coil is actually centered by both the spider and foam. You just need to keep it centered when you do the surround.

Rob2:)
 
I just hate doing things twice espesially if I am paying for it. I found that not only do the shims keep the cone centered but they will help keep the cone extended which makes gluing the center of the foam much easier to do. That alone makes it worth while to remove the dust cover and use the shims.
I put an alcohol soaked paper towel on the dustcap the day before and remove it intact. Takes 5 minutes at the most.
 
After I removed one of the dust caps, I tried to move the cone up and down and every time I was able to rub a bit on the voice coil. I will use the shims.

Thatch, when you use an alcohol soaked towel or rag over the dustcap, does it mess up the shape of the cap? What about cutting a long piece from a sponge and shaping into a circle that will cover just where the cap is glued to the cone?? I cut the first cap off but have not done the second cap yet. I'll probably cut the first cap off just to stay consistant and have the cap keep its shape. I should be at the point of gluing tommorrow.
 
You could do the sponge thing. I just covered the whole thing and put plastic wrap on top to keep it damp. Takes a while to melt the glue.
 
I never remove the dust caps either. I just use clothes pins to keep the surround in the correct non-scraping position. Check by pushing and pulling the cone up and down as you work. Spot glue the surround near each pin and then after they have started to set, I glue the rest. On larger woofers just move the pins to a new location, unless you can steal enough to do pin the whole thing at once. My wife keeps wondering why her pins keep disappearing. Works like a charm. I've done smaller EPI 100 woofers and even up to large 14 inch Jensens this way.
Let us know how those Phillips are, there has been a set of those same ones at a local thrift for quite a while, though they want 100 bucks for the pair.....GW's just make no sense any more.:rolleyes:
 
I'll post a pic when I'm done. Prices are goin' up. I saw a newer but kinda beatup lookin pair of pioneers for $80 at GW.

I got these philips 477's AND an Onkyo tx-4500 for $30. The rcvr works great, but I do need to do some cleaning on it. Just have not had the time.
 
Maybe if you check the surrounds and if they are shot - as mine were, you could get them alot cheaper.
 
Well, I finished re-foaming the philips' woofers, but when I heard them for the first time, one of the tweeters did not work. I took both out. The good one was 8 ohms, the bad one was 2.5 ohms. So now I gotta find a replacement or what I'll probably do is to find a pair of tweets to fit and just see how they sound.
The woofers sounded good.
 
Back
Top Bottom