• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic Mach 1's

Register to hide this ad
Good price, but not a great price. If everything works well and the cabs are in good nick, then perhaps. I'd jump on them for $50 and walk away at $100 if that helps.
 
personally I wouldn't pay more than $5 for a pair as I too think they are a truly horrible sounding speaker. However, there are those that like to tweak things or believe they are what they aren't so there is a value to them I look at a speaker like that strictly for parts value Woofers bring 50-60 on eBay maybe $15-25 a pair for the tweets and mids and the grils maybe 15. That's why I'd only buy them for $5 as they'd be strictly for resale. If I buy a truly crappy sounding pair speakers to my ears I want to make the purchase worth my time. 20x my original investment is worth it here
 
I managed a RS store in the mid seventies and the Mach I speakers came out in 1975 I believe. They replaced the discontinued Optimus 7, which was in my opinion the best speaker Radio Shack ever carried, by a long shot. I still have 4 of them in my main system, and they're outstanding.
But in my opinion RS blew it with the Mach 1. The 15" woofer was boomy and not particularly articulate, and the horn was annoying. I don't mean to disrespect any fans of the Mach 1 but I couldn't ever get them to sound good, and I worked with them for 8 hours a day!
 
I managed a RS store in the mid seventies and the Mach I speakers came out in 1975 I believe. They replaced the discontinued Optimus 7, which was in my opinion the best speaker Radio Shack ever carried, by a long shot. I still have 4 of them in my main system, and they're outstanding.
But in my opinion RS blew it with the Mach 1. The 15" woofer was boomy and not particularly articulate, and the horn was annoying. I don't mean to disrespect any fans of the Mach 1 but I couldn't ever get them to sound good, and I worked with them for 8 hours a day!

I worked at a Radio Shack in the late 1970s for a brief period of time. I don't recall if we had the Mach One or Mach Two speakers at the time, but I do remember when we did inventory, which was monthly and done by hand and often took well into the wee hours of the night. We were allowed to pump the volume up to nearly intolerable levels, since it was a commercial area and no one around to complain. I remember well that the Mach speakers, whatever model they were, were as you describe; loud and boomy, but we actually didn't care for them. We usually ended up hooking up a set of the lesser models, I don't recall which one, but they weren't large, and preferred the sound.

I now have a set of Mach Two speakers, and I refoamed the woofers, and I honestly do not care for them. Loud and boomy, not articulate, not even pleasant to my ears. So I think I'm with you in terms of my opinion of the Mach speakers.

However, two things.

First, the OP didn't really ask if the Mach One speakers were good speaker, but whether or not they were worth $90. In terms of resale value, I'd say they do seem to sell, regardless of what some of us think about them. They have definitely achieved some sort of minor cult classic status; even if you and I do not care for them.

Second, there's a very long and detailed thread here on AK started by (as I recall) VideoLady, regarding how Mach One speakers can be redone to sound, according to her and many who have done her mods, quite nice.

So I'm not going to slam the Mach series speakers. My own opinion of them isn't really very good, but that's beside the point. The question was are they worth $90. Perhaps not to people who don't like them, but they do seem to be popular enough to sell. Best of luck to the OP; if he gets them, I hope he likes them. If he doesn't like them, at least there is a market for them. Unlike a lot of my unloved speakers, which if I tried to sell them would draw only laughs! :)
 
I have seen pristeen pairs sell for over 450.00 on Ebay, while they are not everyones cup of tea, they do have a pretty big following. We did some very good mods to some, and have it documented in a Mach 1 thread in the speaker section. I would say if the cabinets and drivers are in decent shape 50.00 is a good price, they can be made to really sound alot better than they did stock, and the mods are fun. :thmbsp:
 
Just my own opinion, and I apologize if I stepped on any toes...It wasn't my intention at all!!!

I don't think anyone took your statements the wrong way; I was just trying to nudge the thread back ontrack a bit, even though personally, I tend to agree with your assessment.
 
Thanks for the input. I was looking to buy them for my main system to replace my JBL 800, to pair with my Wharfedale Mach 5 speakers, but I think ill hold off for a better set of to pop up
 
Regardless of whether some of us like their sound or not, they are collectible speakers. People want them. At that price, if they're in very good condition, you can basically audition them for free. Mach 1's often sell in my area for $150, so you won't lose money, if you try them and don't like them.
 
I had a pair of the Mach Ones in 1977. I Must say I liked them cranked with Rush or Areosmith Playing. But generally speaking I think (as I've never owned) the Nova series, and some of their Tower speakers are far better ballanced from what I've read. If you still like them there worth the $90 if there in good shape and working IMO.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom