Lafayette's Pip-Speak IS an interesting cousin. It shares with TDC Point 5 two cosmetic differences from Minimus-7: orange rings on the drivers and different backplate drillings and edge profile. Pip-Speak additionally has its unique grille, where Point 5 wears a Minimus-7 style grille.View attachment 2082198 Prob got 10 variants pair scattered. Also an interesting cousin of
Seen many Pip-Speak images over the years -- never one with other than its unique grille. The plastic frames are often seen damaged. I'm wondering if those listed speakers had grilles replaced with a pair from M-7's, after gluing the Pip-Speak badges on?Minimus 7 grille variation. The back looks very RSish.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ra...824W-Lafayette-Radio-Electronics/274476829309
Tweeter is obviously from the same manufacture as Minimus-7. Part number change from SD-13 to SD-14 is probably just due to the orange beauty-ring feature. I would bet even money that Point 5 has this same SD-14 tweeter.Here’s a couple of pics of the tweeter back on the Pip Speak. An SD-14?

Tweeter is obviously from the same manufacture as Minimus-7. Part number change from SD-13 to SD-14 is probably just due to the orange beauty-ring feature. I would bet even money that Point 5 has this same SD-14 tweeter.
Interesting that the tweeter shows stock number "99-03824W" printed on its label.
View attachment 2082823
Same as printed on both product label and spec sheet:
View attachment 2082825
View attachment 2082826
Any chance you got a look at the crossover? If the same as Minimus-7, that would suggest that Pip-Speak (and likely Point 5) is essentially a Minimus-7.
Did some digging ......I know there’s a few more pairs around here.......I’ll be waking them up in the near future. I Have the selector switch wired and ready. View attachment 2097367
Did some digging ......I know there’s a few more pairs around here.......I’ll be waking them up in the near future. I Have the selector switch wired and ready. View attachment 2097367
Lafayette printed more layers of identification on their internal parts than did Tandy.View attachment 2097201
I finally got a chance to pull the woofer. Lafayette part number. Not familiar with most Realistic woofer numbers.
Lafayette printed more layers of identification on their internal parts than did Tandy.
Pip-Speak whole assembly stock number 99-03824W is on both drivers. Then their individual part numbers: 1370-36 (tweeter) and 1369-36 (woofer). And finally, in parenthesis, SD-14 and 1220, which resemble part numbers used by Tandy -- possibly OEM.
Minimus-7 woofers are 1218 (aluminium cabs) and 1234 (walnut cabs), with all tweeter variants using SD-XX format.
More evidence of very close kinship between these two brands' mini-speakers.