• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

REALISTIC speaker opinions

I have two pairs of early Mach One, one pair T100 and Minimus 0.3. And two STA 2000's.
Are they as good as some of my other gear? Maybe not. Buts that's not why I own it.
I own it because thats the stuff I wanted when I was 12 years old paging through the catalog or wandering around the isles at the local RS.
I also want other Datsun 1200. And there are a million better cars. But thats not why I want one.
 
Copa, I love your Fiat / Ferrari analogy!!
As a side note, were you aware the Dino was built by Fiat for Ferrari? Fiat was also permitted to brand the car under their name, though I don't recall specifics as to power, handling, etc.
 
DSC01244.jpg


Optimus 600. They came with the System 600 that was new in 1986 (still have the components). My dad gave me the stereo when i was 13 and used it for about 5 years. It was replaced by the Pioneer rack system in 1997. 2010 i gave away the Pioneer to my nephew and purchased a Klipsch/Yamaha surround sound. The Realistic is one I will never get rid of!!! I will shut up now and I have since dusted LOL
 
Radio Shack sold everything from junk to gold. I always thought their design concepts were two steps behind the market. Well into the 80s were pushing AM only transistor radios and ceramic phono.

That's why I think opinions are divided. They turned out some great stuff and real dogs too. The list prices were high, but the sale price was more reasonable. Another perceived shortcoming was the fact the wouldn't dicker; the price was the price unless a particular store was getting rid of overstock or demo equipment..
 
Last edited:
Radio Shack sold everything from junk to gold. I always thought their design concepts were two steps behind the market. Well into the 80s were pushing AM only transistor radios and ceramic phono.

That's why I think opinions are divided. They turned out some great stuff and real dogs too. The list prices were high, but the sale price was more reasonable. Another perceived shortcoming was the fact the wouldn't dicker; the price was the price unless a particular store was getting rid of overstock or demo equipment..
Having worked for RS it was frustrating not being able to dicker, however, that was only with Company owned stores. Franchises could do whatever they liked. Franchises could also return merchandise for credit, whereas company stores could not.

We did, however, know well in advance when sales were taking place, mostly to place orders accordingly. We, in our location, were more than happy to share this info with customers who were intersted in specific gear. If I'm not mistaken (been a long time now) it was policy to refund the difference if an item went on sale within 30 days of a purchase, so customers could still come out smelling good.

As for design concepts, RS is nothing. I worked for a Honda Motorcycle dealership. Do you have any clue how frustrating it was for us and customers who walk in shopping for a quad that has last years 2-wheel engine and not the current 2-wheel engine? The quads were almost always a year or two behind on technology. Pissed off a lot of customers.

Pretty sure this is common place in a number of markets. Look at computers!
 
Some great commentary here from all sides :) I worked for RS, and will openly admit, Love my Machs and Minimus Silver 7's. As some pointed out, customers would be lost when they found that we (unlike World Radio, or Team) would not dicker on price. I've found in this hobby, that while there is some common ground on the things of "Importance" in what we hear, there is also much "less" common ground, but things, qualities of importance that to each of us in particular is important. To me, demeaning a brand that someone else is having a good experience with, is silly,..I have had some very respected pairs of speakers that just "did not do it for me" that I got rid of, and their new owners enjoy greatly. It's a win-win all the way round when that happens. In all seriousness, my Finacee asked me just yesterday that "If you could get your "Ultimate-Dream Speaker" what would it be??" Honestly, I really had to think.....I ended up telling Her "Well, either a pair of Altec VOT's, or a pair of Altec Model 19's".....Then I got to thinking, what I have in the Machs is "kinda" (no flames please) a poor Man's version along those same lines..soo, I'm happy with what I have:music:
 
Just curious, do you find the Two's punchier than the One's? I did when doing A/B, but seemed a bit too much for my tastes, in music anyway. Really kicked serious butt with HT action flicks!
 
Just curious, do you find the Two's punchier than the One's? I did when doing A/B, but seemed a bit too much for my tastes, in music anyway. Really kicked serious butt with HT action flicks!

I do find them more punchy...I've found that the 2's (more so than the ones in my opinion) benefit from a little "back-tilt", or raised just a bit from the floor vs the ones. Yes, on HT the 2's really shine :)
 
I have 2 pairs of Mach One's and a single pair of Mach Two's, and they are all I need. I love the sound of them, whether it is movie orchestral soundtracks, or 80s-90's pop, rock or metal. I have never had a single reason to complain about them. They are run every single day, and if not for their size, they'd also be my HT speakers. But the wife nixed that idea.
 
I have 2 pairs of Mach One's and a single pair of Mach Two's, and they are all I need. I love the sound of them, whether it is movie orchestral soundtracks, or 80s-90's pop, rock or metal. I have never had a single reason to complain about them. They are run every single day, and if not for their size, they'd also be my HT speakers. But the wife nixed that idea.


Wives......:sigh: For as nice as they can be, I feel your pain.. I am VERY lucky that my Finacee agreed to let me have a small "Man Cave" in our "New" (old) house :music: :banana:
 
I am very fond of my first "Hi-Fi" audio system. I bought it new from RadioShack circa 1975.

STA-80 stereo receiver 31-2046
Realistic/ Miracord-40C turntable 42-2601
Realistic/ Shure R27E cartidge 42-2763
Optmus 2B speaker 40-2023A
Optmus 2B speaker 40-2023A
LV-10 "High-Velocity" Headphones 33-1004
45-rpm Automatic Spindle 42-2586
Delux Dust Cover 42-2602

I used it for about 4 years before upgrading. I still have the STA-80 and the pair of Optmus 2B. Alas the STA-80 has some fried electronics. The Optmus 2B speakers still sound good, but not as good as my Klipsch RF-7's- duh! Right now the Optmus 2B's are sitting right on top of the RF-7's; once in awhile I switch between the two speaker sets just for yucks.

My intent is to see if I can fix the STA-80, but I have many more audio projects that have higher priorities.

If I had not bought my RadioShack system in 1975, I probably would not be reading this thread.
 
What I meant by "design concepts" (mostly) was that RS equipment, especially in the lower price range, looked clunky and five years behind the times, kind of like watching a movie from the 80s - or worse, the 70s - and seeing that hair people wore then.

But, they were a top-to-bottom retailer and plenty of people in places without a stereo outlet in the years before Best Buy were able to get some decent stuff for an OK price, during sales of course.

I think the fact they went from budget items to decent equipment contributes to the difference of opinion about RS goods.
 
RS audio products were fairly competitive until, the mid-70's. Prior to that, "fair trade" laws allowed manufacturers to prevent retailers from discounting, so the top end of RS' lines were on a price and performance par with second tier products from those major brands that chose to invoke their FT powers (the big exception was AR, which allowed retailers to sell their stuff at whatever price they wanted, and achieved a 33% market share in speakers during the 70's that has never been bettered by anyone since).

Once FT was abolished in 1975, everything started to be discounted, everywhere. RS had to compete with the discounted prices, and they did it by cutting a lot of corners. The quality of the products that came into the RS store I was working in changed enormously during the period between 1975 and 1980; the quality of sound went down and the need for warranty service and/or replacement went way up.

I stopped working for RS in 1980 when I got my first "real day job," so I have no insider info after that, but seeing what happened to the brand during that last five year period I was there made it impossible for me to consider buying anything RS that represented a major investment. OTOH, the poor image the RS brand has today probably makes a lot of RS stuff a great buy on the used market, especially the pre-1975 stuff.
 
Last edited:
What I meant by "design concepts" (mostly) was that RS equipment, especially in the lower price range, looked clunky and five years behind the times, kind of like watching a movie from the 80s - or worse, the 70s - and seeing that hair people wore then.

But, they were a top-to-bottom retailer and plenty of people in places without a stereo outlet in the years before Best Buy were able to get some decent stuff for an OK price, during sales of course.

I think the fact they went from budget items to decent equipment contributes to the difference of opinion about RS goods.
I left RS during the great exodice. The big kahuna's decided RS managers were paid too much (paid on commision and profitability, how is that too much?), so they changed the compensation plan. Anyway, many many seasoned (tenured) RS managers went to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Many became managers right out, some climbed the ladder and all but the "Best Buy" crowd eventually lost their jobs entirely.

RS, in my opinion, really went in the wrong direction, but for them as a retailer it worked, so it seems. Can't fault them if it works. As a stock holder the numbers look good. Can't say much more than that. I miss being able to buy stuff they no longer carry.

Prior to 90 managers were tenured, typically having 15+ years experience. Most of the time they had well trained staff. After 90 forget it. I've seen at least a couple manager changes in the 5 years I've lived here.
 
"Well, either a pair of Altec VOT's, or a pair of Altec Model 19's".....Then I got to thinking, what I have in the Machs is "kinda" (no flames please) a poor Man's version along those same lines..soo, I'm happy with what I have:music:
I don't think that this is an unfair statement.

I love both those speakers also and the Mach 1's have the same sort of rugged look about them. I remember seeing them back in the day. Don't know that I have ever heard them but if a pair of them come my way,I'll get them...but not giving up my Mach 1's, it would be in addition to!:banana:
 
Well, I sure am enjoying these Realistic Minimus 7's that I just got from a thrift store yesterday -notice the price tag. Here's some pics I just took while giving them a little kitchen test (while on AK- look closely at laptop screen). I llove these little babies!!

Digging the dishwasher - Kitchen Aid before Kitchen Aid was Kitchen Aid! My grandmother moved hers from New York to AZ when The Old Man retired she liked it so much. Lasted over 20 years. :)

Great deal on the M7s, and especially for the walnut veneer. I just repainted my $3 thrift store M7s and replaced a fried tweeter. They're destined for the master bedroom, for mood music- the wife doesn't like the clock radio. :)
 
Hey guys, I just snapped up a pair of RCA branded Radio Shack speakers, the manual I found online says they're STS-520s, 5 1/4" Woofer and 1" dome tweeter, but were manufactured for RS according to the sticker on the back. Any thoughts on these? They were $4 so I thought, what the hell? haha
 
Hey guys, I just snapped up a pair of RCA branded Radio Shack speakers, the manual I found online says they're STS-520s, 5 1/4" Woofer and 1" dome tweeter, but were manufactured for RS according to the sticker on the back. Any thoughts on these? They were $4 so I thought, what the hell? haha
More importantly, how do they sound to you and what other speakers do you have that you are comparing them too.

I just acquired a pair of Optimus-1. They sound about as good as my Klipsch RF-7. I can't tear myself away from the Optimus-1.
 
Back
Top Bottom