• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

REALISTIC speaker opinions

I have three pairs of RS speakers. I love my little Nova-16s which I use with a Sherwood S-7010. It's my office system and whether I'm playing it at low volume or cranked up, it always sounds sweet, with nice details.

I have a pair of Optimus T-100s which are very pretty pieces of furniture but seem to need at least 50wpc to start sounding really good. I'm awaiting delivery of a 60wpc Sherwood and am anxious to see how that combo sounds. They are hooked to a 235B right now at 55wpc and sound good, but that receiver has a cool Pioneer-like sound and I'm hoping the Sherwood is slightly warmer, which I prefer.

I also have a pair of 1020s. These dwarf the T-100s physically but in the short test I've had time for, they sounded really nice, even with a lower powered amp.

Of course, my ears have undoubtedly been dulled by decades of loud music listening in my (protracted) wayward youth but I can still hear subtle differences among the various receivers and speakers in my modest collection.

If I were wealthy I'd of course opt for Klipsch or, even better, hire a private orchestra to serenade me in my ballroom.
The last statement sounds doable.

If you haven't capped any of your speakers, they're of a vintage that capping would be a good thing. Makes a huge difference in performance, and if you use factory values you won't stray from there original design.

I have like 6 or 7 pairs? Maybe more? I've lost count. From the mighty Min-7 to the lowly Mach One's. gotta love'em.
 
I had the Electrostatic 2A and replaced the woofer with the now defunct Pioneer BF20...they had a better/more defined top end than my OLA and JBL 88+12s (until I got some RTR ESR-6 modules for the JBLs). They had a Electrostatic 3 which I never heard but on paper showed a lot of promise....someone was selling some 2as on this site awhile back and thought about buying them and coming up with a 3 way:scratch2:
 
The last statement sounds doable.

If you haven't capped any of your speakers, they're of a vintage that capping would be a good thing. Makes a huge difference in performance, and if you use factory values you won't stray from there original design.

I have like 6 or 7 pairs? Maybe more? I've lost count. From the mighty Min-7 to the lowly Mach One's. gotta love'em.

Hopefully I'll be advanced enough to do that. I've just about mastered the fine art of Caiging but am reading my Electronics primer (for dummies).

I finally snagged a Sansui receiver (G-5700, 75 wpc) and will be testing it on those big RS speakers. That should be interesting.
 
This post really took on a life of its own. Have since sold the MS 2001s to a friend for what I had in them, they were nice sounding speakers and real wood. I still have the Nova 15s that need re-foaming. I wonder what they sound like. Anybody heard them?
I also have the Nova 8bs on the back burner for the VL mod. I have a little STA-21 (7 wpc) at the office, its running some little yamaha a525s and its a perfect office setup.
 
This post really took on a life of its own. Have since sold the MS 2001s to a friend for what I had in them, they were nice sounding speakers and real wood. I still have the Nova 15s that need re-foaming. I wonder what they sound like. Anybody heard them?
I also have the Nova 8bs on the back burner for the VL mod. I have a little STA-21 (7 wpc) at the office, its running some little yamaha a525s and its a perfect office setup.
Be proud, a lot of nice stuff from RS.
 
Why does nobody mention Radio Shack's most underrated speaker the T-70? Really have a listen to this simple speaker if you get a chance.
 
I missed an opp to pick up a pair last year....funds simply weren't available.
And I'm done with making hock shop trips...
 
I had a pair of MC-2001. Sounded good for a 8" 2 way. I literally smoked the tweeters with a my friend's 75 watt RS STA-2000 receiver. I couldn't tell you how much weed we smoked backed in the `70's listening to a STA-2000/Mach 1 combo! Records & 8 tracks. Kiss Alive & Led Zeppelin II comes to mind. I'd recommend most vintage RS stuff. Let the nit-picks pass up these good deals on used stuff. I always like liberating RS stuff from their unknowing owners.
 
I had a pair of MC-2001. Sounded good for a 8" 2 way. I literally smoked the tweeters with a my friend's 75 watt RS STA-2000 receiver. I couldn't tell you how much weed we smoked backed in the `70's listening to a STA-2000/Mach 1 combo! Records & 8 tracks. Kiss Alive & Led Zeppelin II comes to mind. I'd recommend most vintage RS stuff. Let the nit-picks pass up these good deals on used stuff. I always like liberating RS stuff from their unknowing owners.
I love how this post keeps coming back. As long as others turn there heads and still others take no notice the rest of us will enjoy good to very good speakers and very bargain prices, like T-110's for $5. Or Mach One's for $25. Or Mach Two's (working) for Free.
 
This thread desperately needs some pics.

attachment.php
 
Since posting this thread some more RS gear has come my way. My new Nova 6s sound pretty nice in the bedroom I tell ya. Replaced the Yamahas at the office with some Minimus 1s. Didn't even know they existed. Have an STA 2600 in the kitchen. Still have not gotten around to the Nova 8bs for modding. I'll never knock the RS stuff. It may not be all good but it ain't all bad either. That's for sure.
 
Since posting this thread some more RS gear has come my way. My new Nova 6s sound pretty nice in the bedroom I tell ya. Replaced the Yamahas at the office with some Minimus 1s. Didn't even know they existed. Have an STA 2600 in the kitchen. Still have not gotten around to the Nova 8bs for modding. I'll never knock the RS stuff. It may not be all good but it ain't all bad either. That's for sure.
Preaching to the choir. :D
 
I've read every post here and was shaking my head yea, and no many times. I agree RS put out some junk, but in my opinion some of the name brand companies that we all hold in high esteem did also. I have owned AR2ax, HPM100's, CS88a, Cs99a, Bose 601 (one of my favorites, BTW).

As I recently posted, I picked up a pair of Optimus 7's about a month ago.

My first reaction when hooking them up was, "RS? Are you KIDDING me?".

They simply blew me away with their controlled bass and accurate highs. The sound is customizable with pots for mid and high. And there is a bass bypass slide switch also. Music just surrounds and captivates you. Piano and guitar literally sound like you are in the auditorium of a live performance.

Now, add to that the look of these beautiful cabinets; I'm talking furniture grade build quality and wonderful walnut cabinets that could serve as end tables in their own right. You know when the wife likes your 38 year old speakers, you've done something right.

Say what you want, these were done pretty darn good. In '73 they were $200 each, more than a couple of paychecks for most guys.

Now whether these were sold to RS by the selling manufacturer over a "liquid lunch and strong perfume" is another thing. I don't think RS had a lot to do with it except to "middle-man" these to the consumer. The only thing that even says RS on them is the silk screen on the rear mounted crossover panel giving a model number. There are no logos anywhere.

photo-222.jpg

photo-221.jpg

photo-220.jpg
 
Last edited:
I owned an immaculate pair of Mach II's for a bunch of years. They were an OK speaker. They did not handle anywhere near as much clean power as their size suggested. They were rated at only 40 watts RMS power, 160 watts peak, which for a speaker with a 15" woofer made as recently as these were is kind of laughable and should tell you something about the components used... The tweeters would distort on bass hits at higher volume levels, I'm guessing because they weren't crossed over steeply enough for what they were. The midrange performance was just OK. I replaced them with a pair of B&W DM602s and never looked back. The Mach II was a fun speaker for playing music at moderate levels for backyard parties and such but there are so many better speakers that take up a lot less floor space. I got $250 for my Mach IIs when I sold them about 5 years ago and I thought that was a LOT of money to get for them. I wasn't complaining though. I have read about how great the original pre-ferrofluid cooled Mach I's are but every time I get curious about the Mach I I see that the midrange horn is a tiny plastic bullet stuck in the middle of the speaker and I lose interest.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom