• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

REALISTIC speaker opinions

More importantly, how do they sound to you and what other speakers do you have that you are comparing them too.

I just acquired a pair of Optimus-1. They sound about as good as my Klipsch RF-7. I can't tear myself away from the Optimus-1.

I love my Optimus 1's. They have outlived some JBL's, Infinity's and a pair of Optimus 5b's that I owned. Right now they are in a duel with a pair of original Boston Acoustics A70's. Close call.
 
I love my Optimus 1's. They have outlived some JBL's, Infinity's and a pair of Optimus 5b's that I owned. Right now they are in a duel with a pair of original Boston Acoustics A70's. Close call.
Cool, for the past couple of days, I've been powering my Optimus-1 with a miniamp, Realistic SA-10 (1.2 wpc).

Why do they sound so good? :wtf:
 
More importantly, how do they sound to you and what other speakers do you have that you are comparing them too.

I just acquired a pair of Optimus-1. They sound about as good as my Klipsch RF-7. I can't tear myself away from the Optimus-1.[/QUOTE

I've just got a chance to hook them up to a Yamaha A-1020 I just picked up today. I've got a pair of Mission 731 pros to compare them to. I'm kind of new to the more "serious" Hi-Fi equipment. Here is my main setup at the moment: Kenwood KA-5002 with a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5As. My source components are a Sony CDP-190, A JVC TD-w315 cassette deck, and a Technics SL-D3 Direct drive turntable. I picked up the Yammie to push a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10As that I also own. So, I will get back to you guys after testing these RCAs. :-)
 
Cool, for the past couple of days, I've been powering my Optimus-1 with a miniamp, Realistic SA-10 (1.2 wpc).

Why do they sound so good? :wtf:

Cool! I just got a Realistic SA-155 mini amp to help push a pair of Logitech X-140 pc speakers. The X-140s didn't have enough gusto with the internal amp they have, and the Realistic adds just enough via the headphone jack. I've got it hooked up for sound for my old video game consoles. Will this amp output enough juice to drive my small speakers for lower volume near-field listening?
 
Pleasantly Surprised!

Here's my test setup: Yamaha A-1020 integrated amp, Sony Playstation 1001 as a CD player. I set the amp's tone defeat on and left the controls all flat. The stereo imaging on these speakers is pretty remarkable for their size and the clarity of the sound is well worth the $4 I invested in them at the GW. I'm gonna use them with my Kenwood 4140 receiver for PC sound and they are perfect for near field listening. Nothing to write home about, but they sounded damn fine to me and that's what matters! :music::banana:
 
More importantly, how do they sound to you and what other speakers do you have that you are comparing them too.

I just acquired a pair of Optimus-1. They sound about as good as my Klipsch RF-7. I can't tear myself away from the Optimus-1.[/QUOTE

I've just got a chance to hook them up to a Yamaha A-1020 I just picked up today. I've got a pair of Mission 731 pros to compare them to. I'm kind of new to the more "serious" Hi-Fi equipment. Here is my main setup at the moment: Kenwood KA-5002 with a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5As. My source components are a Sony CDP-190, A JVC TD-w315 cassette deck, and a Technics SL-D3 Direct drive turntable. I picked up the Yammie to push a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10As that I also own. So, I will get back to you guys after testing these RCAs. :-)
Tandy was in bed with many highly regarded brands, Kenwood, BSR, Pioneer and many more. But the products that stood out best were from the 70's and earlier, with some exceptions in the 80's and 90's, like the famous LX5 and LX5II with linaeum tweeters.

Nice stuff, would like to check out optimus-1's and 9's. I understand the latter are quite impressive.

Congrats Nut on the find.
 
IMHO it seems like RS speakers were great on the drawing board, until they ran the plans by the higher-ups who told them to cut their production cost in half. Their speakers seem well designed, but at the same time they harboured inferior parts where corners could be cut less noticeably.

That being said.... it is possible to mod the weakest links to make some RS speakers a helluva lot better. The biggest/easiest example (at least on my Mach IIs) would be the atrocious caps on the crossovers. They'll never be TOTL, but they sound great for my college budget when the alternative is an Sony boombox!
 
Cool! I just got a Realistic SA-155 mini amp to help push a pair of Logitech X-140 pc speakers. The X-140s didn't have enough gusto with the internal amp they have, and the Realistic adds just enough via the headphone jack. I've got it hooked up for sound for my old video game consoles. Will this amp output enough juice to drive my small speakers for lower volume near-field listening?

The SA-155 will likely sound fine at low volume. If you have go way past 12 o'clock on the volume controls, then either get more efficient speakers or a more powerful amp. Only your ears will tell you.

It's in the catalog, see page 7 of http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1994/

Here are the specs from
http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/8411.htm

SA-155 Mini Stereo Amplifier
(310-1957) Specifications Faxback Doc. # 8410

Power Requirements: ........................ 120 Volts AC, 60 Hz, 25 Watts

Output Power (1% Distortion, 1 kHz, Both Channels Driven): ....
........ 1.8 Watts Per Channel (RMS)

Frequency Response: ......................................... 20-25,000 Hz

Input Sensitivity:

Phono: ............................. 2.5 mV (Magnetic); 200 mV (Ceramic)

Tuner: .......................................................... 160 mV

CD/Tape: ........................................................ 160 mV

Tape Output: ...................................................... 150 mV

Speaker Impedance: .......................................... 8 to 16 Ohms

Tone Control Response: .......................................... -18.0 dB

Crosstalk at CD/Tape Input (@ 2 Watts Power): .............. 50 dB @ 1 kHz

Dimensions (HxWxD): ......................... 2 1/2 x 9 1/4 x 6 7/8 Inches
(6.4 x 23.6 x 17.5cm)

(RLR/EB 10/13/93)
 
Last edited:
dude, that catalogue archive is awesome! I remember looking at some of these as a kid. My favorite pair of headphones in High School were my Optimus Pro LX-something or other that I had with my Sony WalkMan with MEGA BASS! haha So many good memories. The phones finally died about 6 years later. They survived lots of lawn cutting and road trips. :-)...quick edit, I just saw my headphones in the catalog! Optimus Pro-25 with inline vol. control
 
IMHO it seems like RS speakers were great on the drawing board, until they ran the plans by the higher-ups who told them to cut their production cost in half. Their speakers seem well designed, but at the same time they harboured inferior parts where corners could be cut less noticeably.

That being said.... it is possible to mod the weakest links to make some RS speakers a helluva lot better. The biggest/easiest example (at least on my Mach IIs) would be the atrocious caps on the crossovers. They'll never be TOTL, but they sound great for my college budget when the alternative is an Sony boombox!
Hmmm, how do I approach this. I guess one has to think in terms of "what is the objective of owning/running a business?" One is to stay in business. How? By providing products people are willing to pay for and, at the very least, are reasonably happy to own. Did RS make concessions? Of course they did. The problem I have is that a lot of the bashers, not you specifically, go out of their way to slam RS speakers, as if RS had marketed themselves as being IN the same class as JBL, Altec, Infinity, etc. Anyone who closely read catalogs and flyers could loosely interpret the marketing as such, however, anyone with at least half a mind knew better. In any case everyone that bought RS speakers clearly had the option to check out other brands and decide for themselves. In the end RS outsold everyone. That, however, doesn't make them the best, just the most popular, which is a different subject altogether.

Few people have the taste for speakers superior to RS. Fewer people have the hearing to appreciate speakers better than RS had (has?) to offer. But the bashing goes on. And fewer still have the finances to afford speakers superior to RS speakers. Do keep in mind we're talking about MSRP, not GW, Yard Sale, etc. When it comes to used prices you can do better than most, but not all, RS speakers. You will, more often than not, have to pay significantly more for speakers, used, that clearly outperform RS's better speakers. Point in case, you are more LIKELY to find Mach Ones, Nova 5b's or other better RS speakers for a bargain than you are JBL, Altec, etc. Do people find great deals on top brands? Of course, but time and time again you read the same thing in all the posts on AK. "How do you guys find these deals?" Easy, because not everyone has that kind of luck, and not many people toss or dump such quality speakers. For most of the rest of us, yes me included, RS speakers make darn fine alternatives till we find that Quantum Line Source in perfect working order for only $50 for the pair, God if only!

Components. When comparing drivers some RS drivers hold there own easily with the best. With the exception of cast speaker drivers (which I'm not aware of any for RS) RS stamped steel drivers were very comparable to higher end speakers. I did not say HIGH end, nor audiophile. Similar magnet sizes and strengths, similar VC diameters and number of windings, etc. Of course one wonders why so many RS woofers had non-deteriorating foam surrounds that JBL and other brands could have used so they would be usable for years without refoaming. That one always had me baffled, though someone will likely try to make a point about how RS foams are somehow inferior anyway.

RS speakers are what they are, no more, no less. Bashers are an odd lot, I don't get them at all. There are so many of us who simply want to listen to our music, watch our HT systems and leave it at that. If I didn't have so many other hobbies and activities I might focus more energy, time and money on better equipment. Trash talk about RS stuff is unjustified. Yes there is better stuff out there. But that doesn't call for trash talk.

Final note, the particle board (which is what it was called back in the day) is the same "quality" for my JBL L88's as for my Mach One's. My Mach One's came factory with internal bracing, though not like what is more common "today", but easily comparable to higher end speakers of the period. Caps are as good as many other better brands, but not as good as top of the line speakers.

Just so we're on the same page, I'm not going after you, you make a valid ooint, I'm just trying to put things into context. Have a good one.
 
Radio Shack had some very good quality speakers like the Minimus 7, Mach One's, Mach Two's, Mach Threes, Optimus 1, Optimus 5, Nova 6, 7B, 8B and 10. They also made some mediocre speakers like the Minimus 5 and the Optimus 10. Those two I owned.

As for the bashers, let them bash away. That will keep the prices low for the rest of us. :smoke:
 
Components. When comparing drivers some RS drivers hold there own easily with the best. With the exception of cast speaker drivers (which I'm not aware of any for RS) RS stamped steel drivers were very comparable to higher end speakers. I did not say HIGH end, nor audiophile. Similar magnet sizes and strengths, similar VC diameters and number of windings, etc. Of course one wonders why so many RS woofers had non-deteriorating foam surrounds that JBL and other brands could have used so they would be usable for years without refoaming. That one always had me baffled, though someone will likely try to make a point about how RS foams are somehow inferior anyway.

.

Good post and well put.

Actually, my Optimus 1's have cast woofers as did the Optimus 5's. The 1b's and the 5b's went to stamped baskets. My 1's have cloth surrounds while my 5b's had the non deteriorating foam. Both are fine speakers but I prefer the 1's. I have never heard an original Optimus 5. A lot of RS speakers used drivers supplied by Foster (Fostex) and were excellent products. As with any brand, some models were very good and some were junk, you just can not generalize.
 
Radio Shack had some very good quality speakers like the Minimus 7, Mach One's, Mach Two's, Mach Threes, Optimus 1, Optimus 5, Nova 6, 7B, 8B and 10. They also made some mediocre speakers like the Minimus 5 and the Optimus 10. Those two I owned.

As for the bashers, let them bash away. That will keep the prices low for the rest of us. :smoke:

Haters gonna hate, as they say. I'm really pleased with what I got. $4.25 since it was half off orange tag week. :banana::music:
 
@Copa1934

I know you said you weren't going after me, but I really didn't mean to bash RS. I was simply making observations about the gear I have. The comment about the boombox wasn't meant to be sly; the price I paid for my used RS setup is literally the same as a new Sony Xplod at my local Best Buy! For the same $ I got a more than acceptable stereo unit, complete with receiver, equalizer, turntable, cd player, cassette player and speakers. I include the money I paid for new surrounds and caps in that figure, too. My friends all agree that I have the best sound system out of the lot of them!

Now, when I dissected my Mach IIs, I noticed that there were good components as well as merely 'acceptable' ones. That tweeter seems to be the best thing in the speaker, followed by the sturdy looking switches for the L-pads, woofer, and the majority of the stuff on the crossover board. I also happened to notice that the cabinet was a little thin, the midrange speaker was average, the internal stuffing was minimal and the caps were cheap (RS is far from the only speaker guilty of this last thing.) It seemed like the development had to pick their battles to get below a certain price point. Does this make the speaker sound 'bad'? Of course not! They wouldn't pick cut things down at random; it was obviously researched what could be skimmed to make the best sounding speaker for the price they needed to hit.

I'm very happy with my Mach IIs. They have a pleasant sound to them and I'm able to listen to music for hours on end. They're very versatile when it comes to different genres of music (that is, I wouldn't call them 'jazz speakers' or rock speakers') and I never seem to have to play with levels to get them to sound right. In fact, they sound best with everything completely neutral.
 
@Copa1934

I know you said you weren't going after me, but I really didn't mean to bash RS. I was simply making observations about the gear I have. The comment about the boombox wasn't meant to be sly; the price I paid for my used RS setup is literally the same as a new Sony Xplod at my local Best Buy! For the same $ I got a more than acceptable stereo unit, complete with receiver, equalizer, turntable, cd player, cassette player and speakers. I include the money I paid for new surrounds and caps in that figure, too. My friends all agree that I have the best sound system out of the lot of them!

Now, when I dissected my Mach IIs, I noticed that there were good components as well as merely 'acceptable' ones. That tweeter seems to be the best thing in the speaker, followed by the sturdy looking switches for the L-pads, woofer, and the majority of the stuff on the crossover board. I also happened to notice that the cabinet was a little thin, the midrange speaker was average, the internal stuffing was minimal and the caps were cheap (RS is far from the only speaker guilty of this last thing.) It seemed like the development had to pick their battles to get below a certain price point. Does this make the speaker sound 'bad'? Of course not! They wouldn't pick cut things down at random; it was obviously researched what could be skimmed to make the best sounding speaker for the price they needed to hit.

I'm very happy with my Mach IIs. They have a pleasant sound to them and I'm able to listen to music for hours on end. They're very versatile when it comes to different genres of music (that is, I wouldn't call them 'jazz speakers' or rock speakers') and I never seem to have to play with levels to get them to sound right. In fact, they sound best with everything completely neutral.
No worries mate. ;-) I didn't even fit the boombox into the conversation.

A popular mod for many speakers, and Mach's are no exception, is bracing. The One's had thicker cabs, but my Two's I noticed to be thinner and lighter. They sold those bloody tweeters in the stores and today they sell for more on epay than they did new! I think the midrange was the weakest link in the system, as quality goes.

Working for RS I always felt RS had the potential to build something waaay cool, but the bean counters always win with corporations, even JBL felt that wen Locanti (sp?) left for Pioneer. Some companies have the following to justify the "total" investment in R&D. Speakers, however, were NOT the only thing RS sold, so as corporations go out came the bean counter axe.

The plus side for the rest of us, it doesn't take a whole lot of investment, or time, to make many of their speakers really shine, otherwise who would bother making all the posts we see dedicated to Minimus 7's, Mach One's, Nova 8b's, etc?

I didn't think you were a basher, you just touched a never and my fingers did the rest. Nothing like having bragging rights eh? Party on dude!
 
In the last decade I've owned three sets: Optimus STS-1000, I did not care for this speaker at all and will leave it at that. Optimus 1050, Nice veneered enclosure, 15" woofer is decent enough, mid and tweeter were not very exciting to me. Realistic Mach 2, underrated and overlooked. I snatch the drivers, crossovers, and L-pads up left and right for next to nothing all the time. I have a small love affair with the Two's woofers. I'm finding them quite versatile. The more I experiment with them I find they work VERY well in a two way setup with a sealed enclosure.
 
No worries mate. ;-) I didn't even fit the boombox into the conversation.

A popular mod for many speakers, and Mach's are no exception, is bracing. The One's had thicker cabs, but my Two's I noticed to be thinner and lighter. They sold those bloody tweeters in the stores and today they sell for more on epay than they did new! I think the midrange was the weakest link in the system, as quality goes.

Working for RS I always felt RS had the potential to build something waaay cool, but the bean counters always win with corporations, even JBL felt that wen Locanti (sp?) left for Pioneer. Some companies have the following to justify the "total" investment in R&D. Speakers, however, were NOT the only thing RS sold, so as corporations go out came the bean counter axe.

The plus side for the rest of us, it doesn't take a whole lot of investment, or time, to make many of their speakers really shine, otherwise who would bother making all the posts we see dedicated to Minimus 7's, Mach One's, Nova 8b's, etc?

I didn't think you were a basher, you just touched a never and my fingers did the rest. Nothing like having bragging rights eh? Party on dude!

When I was playing around inside them I did notice that they had SOME bracing already. A 1" by 1" beam of MDF was run right above the woofer and the inside edges were all reinforced. I don't think it was the previous owner either because the material was the same as the cabs (probably a hacked up reject cab; some of the bracing even has walnut veneer :thmbsp:)

Is this is all of the speakers and people add additional bracing? Mine are from the final production year (Optimus brand, 1990 mfd) if that makes any difference.
 
When I was playing around inside them I did notice that they had SOME bracing already. A 1" by 1" beam of MDF was run right above the woofer and the inside edges were all reinforced. I don't think it was the previous owner either because the material was the same as the cabs (probably a hacked up reject cab; some of the bracing even has walnut veneer :thmbsp:)

Is this is all of the speakers and people add additional bracing? Mine are from the final production year (Optimus brand, 1990 mfd) if that makes any difference.
Hard to say, I bought my Two's when they first came out, so I'm not aware of any changes in manufacturing. Be interesting to hear from others.

Re-caps and bracing. Re-foam is a given for most speakers. Bracing not so much for speakers with 1" or thicker walls. I'll measure the Mach's when I get home, but I believe they are at least 3/4", but possibly 1". Even then they feel like they could use bracing, but that's going to be part of my own Tier-2 mods (with input from VL).
 
If I ever find a pair of Klipschs or JBL monitors in my budget I'll be sure to snap them up. Meanwhile I picked up a couple of Realistic 1020s yesterday for $30. They need a make-over cosmetically but sounded pretty darn nice hooked up to my Realistic 235B.

1002704b.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
I have three pairs of RS speakers. I love my little Nova-16s which I use with a Sherwood S-7010. It's my office system and whether I'm playing it at low volume or cranked up, it always sounds sweet, with nice details.

I have a pair of Optimus T-100s which are very pretty pieces of furniture but seem to need at least 50wpc to start sounding really good. I'm awaiting delivery of a 60wpc Sherwood and am anxious to see how that combo sounds. They are hooked to a 235B right now at 55wpc and sound good, but that receiver has a cool Pioneer-like sound and I'm hoping the Sherwood is slightly warmer, which I prefer.

I also have a pair of 1020s. These dwarf the T-100s physically but in the short test I've had time for, they sounded really nice, even with a lower powered amp.

Of course, my ears have undoubtedly been dulled by decades of loud music listening in my (protracted) wayward youth but I can still hear subtle differences among the various receivers and speakers in my modest collection.

If I were wealthy I'd of course opt for Klipsch or, even better, hire a private orchestra to serenade me in my ballroom.
 
Back
Top Bottom