• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic STA-20 and Spectrum ProLinear Speakers

cga1982

New Member
I have an old Realistic STA-20 receiver and two old Spectrum ProLinear speakers that produce no real volume. Is it because the STA-20 is so weak (7 watts per channel)? Thank-you.DSC03340.JPGDSC03336.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
No, there is something wrong. One watt, with almost all speakers, can producing a surprisingly loud volume level. Do you have any other speakers you can test the receiver with, or another amp you can test the speakers with? There's a good chance it's something as simple as the controls on the receiver needing cleaning. Exercising the buttons and knobs can sometimes temporarily clear this up (make sure the volume isn't too high when you try this). If that works, read this thread.

ETA: if you get bass but no mids or treble, it could be a similar problem with the controls on the speakers.
 
The receiver works fine with the smaller speakers I have. I do not have another amp to test the speakers with (except a few guitar amps).
When the speakers do work (at very low volume) only the woofer seems to produce any sound. Thank-you swechsler.
 
By the way, based on pictures of other Spectrum Prolinear speakers I found online, there's a decent chance that the woofers and midranges are not original (the midranges look particularly modern for when these speakers appear to have been manufactured). In that case, assuming you can get the receiver working, after listening, your next step might be to get a better set of speakers. But you'll have to judge that for yourself.
 
Does the fact that the receiver is rated at 7 watts per channel and the speakers at 75 or 150 watts have anything to do with my volume problem?
 
Does the fact that the receiver is rated at 7 watts per channel and the speakers at 75 or 150 watts have anything to do with my volume problem?
No, recheck my first response. In addition, those are max, not minimum, ratings, and are essentially meaningless since there is no standard for them on consumer speakers.
 
DSC03341.JPG

There appears to be some selector switches on the front of the speaker. I believe I can increase the treble by adjusting these knobs.
 
I have a pair of these speakers, purchased new from Kelly's Stereo in 1978. I use an amp with 75 watts per side to drive mine but mine will work with 3 amps per side, if that helps.
 
You will need to remove the mids and tweeters, and test them directly from your amp with the appropriate value of capacitors. Do you have a multimeter?
 
The receiver works fine with the smaller speakers I have. I do not have another amp to test the speakers with (except a few guitar amps).
When the speakers do work (at very low volume) only the woofer seems to produce any sound. Thank-you swechsler.
I would get a bigger receiver day sta90 or above in the realistic line up a sta2080 would really make them sing ! But even a sta90 or 95 would be a nice jump up at 45 wpc and they are still pretty affordable !
 
Back
Top Bottom