• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recommended cartridges for Yamaha GT-2000

I collected some numbers in the social group thread:


Commonly recommended headshells (all with Azimuth setting):
Yamaha HS-11 - mass 13g (way beyond 100 USD)

Audio Technica AT-LH13 OCC - mass 13g (similar to the HS11 but much more affordable, nearly half price)

Yamamoto Soundcraft HS-1A - mass 10.6g (beautifully crafted and lightweight, got mine for 90 bucks with shipping)


My list of cartridges I'll be considering:
Keep my Ortofon MC Rondo Red - mass 10.5g (very heavy, but I very much never missed anything with that.. that was on a Pro-Ject 9CC tonearm, though. Not sure if it works on the YA-39?!)

I could get an Audio Technica AT-OC9XML - mass 7.6g (around 600 bucks new)

Or the Audio Technica AT33PTG/2 - mass 6.9g (around 600 bucks new, although there's a deal for 50 bucks less right now)

I'm also curious about the legendary Denon DL103R - mass 8.5g (400 bucks new but merely a spherical diamond)


Some of the others mentioned and some more I've read about:
Hana ML is 9.5g
Ortofon 2M Black is 7.2g
AT ART9 weighs 8.5g
AT VM750 is 8g
Ortofon Quintet MC series is 9g


Looking at the Yamaha HS11 (being the stock headshell from the GT-2000) and above recommendation to stay between 18-19 grams, I wonder what kind of cartridges would even work?!

I guess, the Denon DL-110 at only 4.8g would work (is that a typo?!)




Right now, I'm contemplating getting the AT headshell and the AT33/PTG II (for a total of 20g, I guess?!) and the Denon DL-103R on the Yamamoto HS-1A for a total of 19.5g (with screws)

These two cartridges should be fairly different but I'm assuming they would both work pretty well on the Yamaha YA-39?
 
I just got the AT-OC9XML this afternoon (about 3 hours playime time so far) It replaces a Rega Exact 2 MM on a Planar 3 (actually an SRM Azure kit that uses the P3 as a donor). The cart sound excellent right out of the box with the ohm load set around 120-140: tight punchy bass, no sibilance --I think I'm really going to love this one. I had considered the AT33PTG II, but my arthritis doesn't like fooling around with all the tiny nuts/bolts, so I went with the OC9XML as the body is threaded and it was super easy to set up.
 
Last edited:
I just got the AT-OC9XML this afternoon (about 3 hours playime time so far) It replaces a Rega Exact 2 MM on a Planar 3 (actually an SRM Azure kit that uses the P3 as a donor). The cart sound excellent right out of the box with the ohm load set around 120-140: tight punchy bass, no sibilance --I think I'm really going to love this one. I had considered the AT33PTG II, but my arthritis doesn't like fooling around with all the tiny nuts/bolts, so I went with the OC9XML as the body is threaded and it was super easy to set up.
it's quite a bit heavier than the ATG, but I guess that could be because they usually give the mass without the screws?
If I must stay between 18-19g... (And I'm intent on putting the Denon DL-103R on the Yamamoto Headshell)

I guess I could get the Audio Technica Headshell and just drill a couple of holes in there to loose weight ? :D
 
one more thing

common rule of thumb is:

Low mass arm + high compliance cartridge= happy

High mass arm + low compliance cartridge = happy


The YA-39 is 9g
the HS11 headshell adds 13g

so effective tonearm mass is 22g
Would that be low mass or high mass?

And what compliance numbers would be best suited?


I know I'm probably overthinking, but I'm really curious, especially since the OC9XML and AT33PTG/II are basically "the same" soundwise (I really believe the differences are too small here to not be affected more by setup, alignment, vta, etc.) but they differ in mass and compliance, too.

So, to me, it would come down to the question, which one of these would be better suited for the YA-39


That said, I might consider other options for my second cartridge after the Denon. Maybe I'll even keep the Ortofon...
 
one more thing

common rule of thumb is:

Low mass arm + high compliance cartridge= happy

High mass arm + low compliance cartridge = happy


The YA-39 is 9g
the HS11 headshell adds 13g

so effective tonearm mass is 22g
Would that be low mass or high mass?

And what compliance numbers would be best suited?


I know I'm probably overthinking, but I'm really curious, especially since the OC9XML and AT33PTG/II are basically "the same" soundwise (I really believe the differences are too small here to not be affected more by setup, alignment, vta, etc.) but they differ in mass and compliance, too.

So, to me, it would come down to the question, which one of these would be better suited for the YA-39


That said, I might consider other options for my second cartridge after the Denon. Maybe I'll even keep the Ortofon...

I think going a little heavier than the 18-19g total range is probably ok. Charts are charts and then there's the real world. The main concern would be going too light and sacrificing dynamics.
 
ChiFi enters the chat? :D (don't know which one this is, but LPAudio have some crazy expensive cartridges)

I think I would also like the Hana SL and am looking for comparisons to the AT33PTG now :D

And some highly affordable great LOMC, this thing rocks. Paid $313 and now I see they dropped the price to $259, might be due to the recent release of the Windbell MC100MKIII version.
IMG_20221202_235017069.jpg
 
Last edited:
Just realised that I don't remember how I got my Rondo MC set up 13 years ago...
got a bubble level, digital tonearm balance, but no alignment tools. (protractor or acryl block for azimuth)

any recs for something affordable from Amazon?

I'd also like to get a test record to maybe measure my cartridges :music:
 
Just realised that I don't remember how I got my Rondo MC set up 13 years ago...
got a bubble level, digital tonearm balance, but no alignment tools. (protractor or acryl block for azimuth)

any recs for something affordable from Amazon?

I'd also like to get a test record to maybe measure my cartridges :music:

Some tools of the trade, I find the Ortofon alignment protractor very simple to use for most.

AAADSFG__30177.jpg

images (13).jpeg

I've used this for decades with good results
s-l400.jpg

images (14).jpeg

s-l400 (2).jpg

download (2).jpeg
 
the protractor says "for 9" tonearms"
the YA-39 is longer than that. Does that matter?

Got brush for records and stylus, and the balance, already.
 
put an order out there for an azimuth gauge, the protractor (Ortofon), a hundred antistatic sleeves, 200 outer sleeves, and a Denon DL-103R

The GT-2000 should arrive Monday and the Denon cartridge a couple days later.
Haven't gotten a shipping note for the Yamamoto headshell yet, but I'll be busy testing the pre-installed Kenwood first anyways.

Got tons of records that need a new (or first ever) inner sleeve after a nice wash in my Knosti and am very hyped about testing this turntable with all the new records I've bought recently!
 
put an order out there for an azimuth gauge, the protractor (Ortofon), a hundred antistatic sleeves, 200 outer sleeves, and a Denon DL-103R

The GT-2000 should arrive Monday and the Denon cartridge a couple days later.
Haven't gotten a shipping note for the Yamamoto headshell yet, but I'll be busy testing the pre-installed Kenwood first anyways.

Got tons of records that need a new (or first ever) inner sleeve after a nice wash in my Knosti and am very hyped about testing this turntable with all the new records I've bought recently!

Outstanding, looking forward to pics and your feedback on the table/cartridge/music, the top tier DD's can be astounding.
 
the protractor says "for 9" tonearms"
the YA-39 is longer than that. Does that matter?

Got brush for records and stylus, and the balance, already.

OK, so ya it's a bit over 10.3", not really sure on that, it's worked on all of the arms I've had here so someone else will have to chime in on that.

I have two others here but they're both Baerwald like the Ortofon except one is also Stevenson on the other side. I don't remember them mentioning arm length.

The middle protractor is flipped over to show the Stevenson side, the mirrored protractor helps with a rough azimuth setting.

IMG_20230902_162854881.jpg
 
Last edited:
effective length is slightly above 10" (26,2 cm)

Ok, did some research and apparently this will work with any arm but it's not cheap.




Nix that, here you go, works on arms from 8" - 12" for a LOT less money.


Screenshot_20230902-164602.png
 
Last edited:
gotta get back the R&D that went into that thing knowing they will only sell a couple dozen :D

I'll try with the ortofon and see what I get.
 
1693687986007.png

combines the three typical types..


I guess, this would be the best one:
1693688107799.png

that's the "Align it DS3" and it would be perfect, really!
at 80€ I'm honestly just going to try my luck with the Ortofon protractor at a LOT less...
 
Back
Top Bottom