• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recommended cartridges for Yamaha GT-2000

To answer your 100Hz question, you can't take a measurement at 100Hz and guess what the 10Hz will be with a fudge, it does not work like that. This formula has been around for ages and it is a fudge guess at best.
Chris
 
When you make a cartridge you realise quickly that it is very much a sum of its parts. Quite small changes like body material make quite big differences. There are very predictable things like a better diamond resulting in better tracking or a lighter stiffer cantilever resulting in a faster cleaner sound. Understanding its compliance too is very important. I think the reason for such wide opinions of the Denons is the lack of understanding of compliance. I have seen on thr forums people fitting dl103s to 9g Rega arms, this is never going to sound right. It may sound ok, but it will be a pale shadow of what the 103 is capable of. I think too that they often get used on budget systems, people with really high end systems don't tend to mod an entry level cart. My opinion is maybe they should..
Chris
 
To answer your 100Hz question, you can't take a measurement at 100Hz and guess what the 10Hz will be with a fudge, it does not work like that. This formula has been around for ages and it is a fudge guess at best.
Chris
so, you measured the compliance of the stock DL-103R, then?

I found reports that the previous generation had a measured 12cu compliance but allegedly the newer gens were lower than that.

11, 10, 8?

Why does nobody measure it?!?!
 
so, you measured the compliance of the stock DL-103R, then?

I found reports that the previous generation had a measured 12cu compliance but allegedly the newer gens were lower than that.

11, 10, 8?

Why does nobody measure it?!?!
They need a 25g arm, 35g is better but 25g is on the green so to speak.
As I said with a retip it is not hard to adjust compliance and stock they are conical anyway.
Chris
 
They need a 25g arm, 35g is better but 25g is on the green so to speak.
As I said with a retip it is not hard to adjust compliance and stock they are conical anyway.
Chris
I asked for measurements of the compliance...

This guy here gives measurements, but no source

Screenshot_2023-09-20-10-16-12-84_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

they sound reasonable, I'd say?

putting a lighter tonearm in the green for lateral compliance, but you really need a heavyweight to get vertical compliance matched.


We'll see how it turns out with my meager 23g of effective mass, I suppose.

If it sucks, I will sell it. (certainly not going to bother having it modified)
A Hana SL would match both the Yamamoto and the Denon Headshell, compliance-wise.


My Ortofon previously was on a pro-ject 9c with a mere 11g of effective mass.
It should improve considerably with the 20g of effective mass it now gets.
(compliance is 15)

And I found it to be already frigging amazing before.
 
the Rondo is installed, azimuth adjusted, tracking force set to 2.3g (altho that weird digital balance also showed 2.4 and 2.5g at times..)
IMG_20230922_115118.jpg

The protractor scale had me very confused, though..
The Denon manual (for the headshell) says to have the needle 50mm from the mounting point of the tonearm. I did the same for the Ortofon. But glancing at the protractor, that appears to be fairly "off" towards the inner grooves.
Could that be due to the scale being for 9" arms and this being a >10" arm?


also, not 100% sure about anti skate, but it does sound amazing.
Might need to get a test record, after all.


One thing, though: I think there's more static (crackling and popping) than I've had before. But I will test with cleaner records to see if it's just on that one (didn't wash the records I've bought new)



Regarding the Denon:
I used the slim end tips of zip ties to create spacers for the cartridge and will try that one next.
It's nearly the same overall mass, so hopefully I don't need to fiddle with the counterweight at all. (running the Denon at 2.5 and the Ortofon at 2.3 or thereabouts)
 
put the Denon online, too.

And WOW! Just wow!
IMG_20230922_125126.jpg

it sounds absolutely amazing!

I remember the Rondo Red wow-ing me similarly on my Pro-Ject player, so there's definitely still unused potential for that cartridge.

But the Denon sounds divine!
100 Ohms loading, 65dB gain (60dB works, too)


It looks as if the Azimuth isn't quite perfect.. but the sound! oh dear!
generally, I didn't change anything to the adjustment, just corrected tracking force.
I think the VTA is off, too (cartridge might sit too low since the arm is not perfectly level)

but why change it if it sounds oh so good?
 
put the Denon online, too.

And WOW! Just wow!
View attachment 2991518

it sounds absolutely amazing!

I remember the Rondo Red wow-ing me similarly on my Pro-Ject player, so there's definitely still unused potential for that cartridge.

But the Denon sounds divine!
100 Ohms loading, 65dB gain (60dB works, too)


It looks as if the Azimuth isn't quite perfect.. but the sound! oh dear!
generally, I didn't change anything to the adjustment, just corrected tracking force.
I think the VTA is off, too (cartridge might sit too low since the arm is not perfectly level)

but why change it if it sounds oh so good?

Pick a record you are super familiar with and dial it in from there. Congrats on it starting to come together.
 
Oh cool, I have both, I could do this!
The body was s/hand without a stylus, from Yahoo JP, nice and cheap.
The 150MLX was NIB, nos, from the same place years ago, that I thought might become useful one day.
And so it has proved.

I'm currently running the VTF at 1.56gms (but willing to tinker some more), in an ADC LMG-1 headshell - 17.87gms total w/all.

I just took my AT33EV MC off, as this 160/150 combo is clearly better at handling vocals on modern pop/rock (War On Drugs).
The caveat is, the 33EV has a rep of being difficult to setup and I'm no expert, so take that as you will.
 
Last edited:
The body was s/hand without a stylus, from Yahoo JP, nice and cheap.
The 150MLX was NIB, nos, from the same place years ago, that I thought might become useful one day.
And so it has proved.

I'm currently running the VTF at 1.56gms (but willing to tinker some more), in an ADC LMG-1 headshell - 17.87gms total w/all.

I just took my AT33EV MC off, as this 160/150 combo is clearly better at handling vocals on modern pop/rock (War On Drugs).
The caveat is, the 33EV has a rep of being difficult to setup and I'm no expert, so take that as you will.

I got a used 160 off the Yahoo jp a few years ago and packed it away. When my 2000L arrived with an SAEC WE 308 arm I decided to pull it out. Interestingly enough I too am using an LMG-1 headshell because it's quite similar to the original SAEC headshells. I thought it was having tracking issues at first but after removing one of the anti-skate weights it was fine. The 160 has a nice punch in the low end. I like it. Good to know that if it fails I could swap in the stylus from my 150mlx that's currently packed away.

0715231306.jpg
 
Last edited:
I got a used 160 off the Yahoo jp a few years ago and packed it away. When my 2000L arrived with an SAEC WE 308 arm I decided to pull it out. Interestingly enough I too am using an LMG-1 headshell because it's quite similar to the original SAEC headshells. I thought it was having tracking issues at first but after removing one of the anti-skate weights it was fine. The 160 has a nice punch in the low end. I like it. Good to know that if it fails I could swap in the stylus from my 150mlx that's currently packed away.
I can't tell you how disappointed I was in the brand new in-box AT33EV, as I was expecting something stellar. Probably just me though. :rolleyes:
Probably need to get a Pro in.

What VTF do you have on your AT160?
 
I can't tell you how disappointed I was in the brand new in-box AT33EV, as I was expecting something stellar. Probably just me though. :rolleyes:
Probably need to get a Pro in.

What VTF do you have on your AT160?

When I was first researching the AT-33PTG/ii, most people on that thread said it was significantly better than the EV so I've always avoided them. While I love both the 150mlx and 33PTG/ii on my PF-800, I didn't care for the sound of the PTG/ii on my YA-39 arm. It sounded dark and closed off. For the 160 on the 308 arm, it's currently set just shy of 1.4 grams and it sounds good. I seem to recall for the 150mlx, 1.45 grams was the sweet spot on my PF-800.
 
When I was first researching the AT-33PTG/ii, most people on that thread said it was significantly better than the EV so I've always avoided them.
Interesting: some maybe, but not all.
jblnut said at the time "AT33EV - maybe the best all around cart I ever used if we are talking about something that won't make bad records unlistenable".
I took that as a pretty strong recommendation, but perhaps I took it in the wrong way.
Anyway, it might end up being one for the sale pile, as I have a SoundSmith about to return from a retip and once that's here, I expect it will replace everything else I have.
 
Interesting: some maybe, but not all.
jblnut said at the time "AT33EV - maybe the best all around cart I ever used if we are talking about something that won't make bad records unlistenable".
I took that as a pretty strong recommendation, but perhaps I took it in the wrong way.
Anyway, it might end up being one for the sale pile, as I have a SoundSmith about to return from a retip and once that's here, I expect it will replace everything else I have.

To clarify that was a hoff forum thread. No doubt with the right setup, many carts can probably sound far better than people realize. After the 33PTG/ii I moved on to a 33ml/occ for my PF-800 and I think it bests the PTG/ii. At some point I'll start swapping in my various AT's on the SAEC arm to see where it goes. I'd bet the 160 is bonkers good on the PF-800. If the stars align, maybe some day I'll get a 407GT arm.
 
I’am new here and unfortunately i have not any experince with the subject. My TT is still on its way from Japan (GT 2000 with an armlifter). Also with a YA-39 tone arm.

Due to waiting i have already bought some parts.;)

AT-OC9XML 7,6 gr
Yamaha HS-12. 10,0 gr

I understand that the YA-39 is 9 gr?

So is this combination going to work, because ik do not understand everything what was told above?
Is there somewhere an tutorial?
 
I’am new here and unfortunately i have not any experince with the subject. My TT is still on its way from Japan (GT 2000 with an armlifter). Also with a YA-39 tone arm.

Due to waiting i have already bought some parts.;)

AT-OC9XML 7,6 gr
Yamaha HS-12. 10,0 gr

I understand that the YA-39 is 9 gr?

So is this combination going to work, because ik do not understand everything what was told above?
Is there somewhere an tutorial?


simulation-wise, that's a great fit
Screenshot_2023-10-21-14-54-01-91_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg


the HS-12 is an incredibly expensive headshell for what it is... (a piece of aluminium)
what did you pay if I may ask?
 
Back
Top Bottom