• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Restoration of KEF 104/2 Complete.

Register to hide this ad
I have the KEF Kube with my 104/2's. Some people don't love it. I think it makes them even better and it really works.
Everyone says the more power the better. I've ran mine on 15 watts and on 30 watts and they sounded better with the 30 watt receiver, but that receiver seems to make EVERYTHING sound better. Most people say to run them on 100watts or more.
 
Thanks kmagnus. I am also interested in adding a sub or two. Looking for a mid priced option. The KEF subs are a little high but maybe worth it?
 
In my listening space the KUBE allowed me to not have to run a sub and I never missed it. In fact, I started using the KUBE with other speakers so much that I just removed the sub all together. That's doesn't mean you will have the same experience, but that's what ended up working for me.
If you're local to SW Florida, you're welcome to try out my KUBE and see if you like it.
I'm not 100% sure on this, and maybe it's because I use smaller wattage receivers, but with the KUBE on, they seem to run out of steam quicker than without it... so I can't play the music quite as loud. That's fine for me 99% of the time but maybe not for you. And maybe that wouldn't be an issue if using it with a larger receiver. Unfortunately I don't really have anything bigger except my HT receiver, and I don't feel like messing with that.
 
Whereas some KEF models require the Kube to perform as designed, the 104/2 does not. Doesn't mean you can't use it though. If you read through this thread, I think you'll find that most don't, including myself. KEF owners thread I don't even use a sub with mine (I do have one).

As to power, they're reasonably high efficient speakers and can sound good with moderate power. However, they really open up with high power/current amps. If you're wanting an integrated, as opposed to separates, NAD is a good bet as they tend to greatly under rate their output power. Plus, they sound really good.

Dayton subs get good reviews, and many here use them. Powered Subwoofers

Good luck and happy listening.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom