• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sansui 661 opinions keep it or let it go ??

bowtieman427

Active Member
Got a Sansui 661 with manuals schmatics etc. Sounds pretty good to me, but wife is sick of so many recievers. Any opinions on whether this is worth keeping or if this is one I should let go ?
thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
yeah... better let it go....I'll PM you with my address..:D

No problem lol..........I have a G-7500, Fisher 400, Pioneer SX-1050, and two Technic SA-500 (never listen to these). I primarily listen to the SX-1050, Fisher 400 (if I can keep it running) & G-7500 that I cleaned up and restored which sounds very nice. Just do not know how or where the 661 will fit in. Perhaps I will find a special place for it int he house somewhere. Like I said the 661 is pretty nice sounding. It is only rated a whopping 25 Watt/chan. I was curious not being a Sansui expert if these are werth holding on to from a collector point of view. Do not see or hear to much about them. Seems like the G-XXXX and the X0X0 series recievers are primarily all that are discussed.
 
661

That receiver is the little brother of the 881, which is highly regarded.
Do a search on this forum using 881 and you will see some great testimonials about it.
I have a 661, and an 881, the 661 was found at a Goodwill for $10 or $15, I don't remember, but it's pristine. Do you have a garage system? Consider it for that, or the den.
If you cannot find a home for it the Museum always likes spares...:thmbsp:
Casey
 
That series (221 through 881) are a little older and not as BIG and eye-catching, high-powered, etc... as the G-XXXX and X0X0 series, so they don't get as much attention. HOWEVER, there have been a few threads here from owners talking about how truly good they sound. I remember reading one thread saying that the lowly 221 was a "giant slayer", with a sound way better than what the owner (and another owner who chimed in) ever dreamed it could have. I don't know how the 661 stands, but in general, the sound of that series is pretty nice. Maybe get it cleaned up/fixed up and give it a serious listen (with A/B comparisons with your other receivers) before getting rid of it? If you decide you don't want it, maybe give it to someone who will really treasure it, perhaps an elderly person without a good system, or a younger person who might "catch the vintage bug" from it?
 
Arkay

That series (221 through 881) are a little older and not as BIG and eye-catching, high-powered, etc... as the G-XXXX and X0X0 series, so they don't get as much attention. HOWEVER, there have been a few threads here from owners talking about how truly good they sound. I remember reading one thread saying that the lowly 221 was a "giant slayer", with a sound way better than what the owner (and another owner who chimed in) ever dreamed it could have. I don't know how the 661 stands, but in general, the sound of that series is pretty nice. Maybe get it cleaned up/fixed up and give it a serious listen (with A/B comparisons with your other receivers) before getting rid of it? If you decide you don't want it, maybe give it to someone who will really treasure it, perhaps an elderly person without a good system, or a younger person who might "catch the vintage bug" from it?


Well put and sound advice.
Casey
 
The XX1 series is fantastic. My girlfriend runs a 551 (that I found at a thrift shop for $15) in her study. Since she's writing a thesis in there, it gets a lot of use. Anyway....she has her choice of any of my unused receivers, and I collect them so there's a bunch around, and she refuses to let go of the little 551. And you know what? I can't blame her. It sounds great. I hate to admit it, but it sounds better than a lot of stuff I have that is better regarded and which took much more than $15 out of my wallet. I say keep it. Small wattage recievers have a decent reputation around here.

Cheers,
John
 
I have a 551, and I love it. If the 661 sounds as good(and I don't see why it wouldn't) I'd keep it
 
That is an excellent series with the 881 being the TOTL but way underappreciated because, while they offered sound quality equal to any of the bigger receivers, it's the "monster" receivers of the time that get most of the attention.

However, it really is an excellent sounding receiver with a great pre-amp, and the tuning section (of the 881) is a respectable 4 gang tuner.

The advice given that I like best, if you decide not to keep it, is to give it to someone who would appreciate that Sansui "sound" of the series.
 
Lots of folks here rave about that series. I'd keep it, especially if the Sansui you have is only as old as the G series. Assuage the wife (and foster the WAF) with a new pair of shoes. :thmbsp:

Works for me.
 
Lots of folks here rave about that series. I'd keep it, especially if the Sansui you have is only as old as the G series. Assuage the wife (and foster the WAF) with a new pair of shoes. :thmbsp:

Works for me.

... or do the deal with the devil that I did, and agree that if you don't "notice" the new shoes in her closet as they accumulate, then she won't "notice" the stuff YOU accumulate.

I mean, hey, to modify a common colloquial phrase:
"Stuff Accumulates". :smoke:
 
IMO, the 661 is flat out an excellent receiver. I bought mine from the original owner via Craigslist for $20. I set the bias and DC offset, and it blew away my 5000x. I don't think it's quite as good as my 919, but so what. Only my lower wattage Marantz and Yamaha are on par. Absolutely no hiss. I'm really a fan!
 
It is a very nice sound amp at least when I listen to at the persons house who gave it to me. Prehaps when I get a chance I will hook it up to my Klipsch LaScalas in my main system and see what it can do. Thank you all for the great input. Glad to see that some people appreciate a nice sounding amp and not just monster amps. I really think it looks cool the way it lights up when on. Real classy look to it. It may make a nice reciever for our bedroom. Do any of you have any sugestions for a good small speaker combo that would work nice with this receiver ?
Wife does not know it yet. I will put it by her shoes lol
 
Do any of you have any sugestions for a good small speaker combo that would work nice with this receiver ?

I'm using one of my 881's as the heart of my garage system (Sat. night, 10:pm, Hearts of Space, working on my RV7-A, yummm...), and it sounds totally great running Bose 301 Series II speakers that I picked up at a pawn shop for $10 and only needed new surrounds.
Those are a perfect size and sounding speaker for a room such as a garage or bedroom.
I'm also partial to some of the older Infinity bookshelf speakers as well.

I figure, why run a vintage receiver on anything but vintage speakers. :yes:
 
I had a 221, 8 wpc and it sounded real good, i am sorry i sold it, i am sure the 661 is a nifty lil receiver..i would keep it
 
Back
Top Bottom