• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 9090 W/O Working Tuner/Dial Lamps/Meters

No lamps on the dial work. Pretty sure the dial and meter lamps go out if the tuner isn’t selected. Function lamps aren’t working either.
 
Start on the lights in the am.

Wondering if the voltage switch at post 2 and 3 on F2549 is manifesting on F1519 as well and that is why the volume is so weak.

Would you get any/weak volume w/ 3Vdc going where the 12 Vdc was supposed to go?
What would the 12 Vdc do in the circuit designed for 3 Vdc?

Adding the resistor at R17 got the meters moving correctly, but with very weak sound, so we still have to figure volume out.
 
Start on the lights in the am.

Wondering if the voltage switch at post 2 and 3 on F2549 is manifesting on F1519 as well and that is why the volume is so weak.

Would you get any/weak volume w/ 3Vdc going where the 12 Vdc was supposed to go?
What would the 12 Vdc do in the circuit designed for 3 Vdc?

Adding the resistor at R17 got the meters moving correctly, but with very weak sound, so we still have to figure volume out.
Did you follow the wires from the F2549 to the tuner pack? At this point I just can't imagine that they are reversed. If the owner said it was working and nobody else has been in it all should be well.
 
Last edited:
I edited a previous post and removed a recent one. Somehow my pea brain latched on to the fact that it appears he has an F2549 from a DB unit in his 9090 non DB receiver so I merrily went down the 9090DB lighting path which is totally different than the 9090.

So moving forward now.

The 9090/8080 are notorious for having the function switch wafer that controls the lights going intermittent or failing. Probably due to the high current switching of the dial and meter lamps.

The output meter lamps are powered from the same supply that is used for the dial lamps, so the supply seems OK.

Confirm you have lamp power coming into the F2541 board on pin 41. Referenced to ground you should have the AC lamp voltage there.

As you can see S01c switches the source lamps, and S01d is for the dial and meter lamps. Dial and meter lamp power should come out on pin 39 in AM/FM Auto/Dolby FM.

My concern is the source lamps are not working which perhaps means no power? It could also mean a missing ground.

Point A on the F1470 lamp board is the common ground for all of the lamps and goes back to pin 18 on the F2546 board.


9090lamp.jpg

9090plug.jpg

9090lampboard.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yeah going between manuals gets weird.

Last night I screwed the Tuning Board/upper deck back on and got “more”/louder FM, so I decided to give the controls a bath to see if that got it even closer to “back”. It was almost like some caps just needed some time to get back in shape after 20 yrs of inactivity. At midnight I called it a day, before getting the controls back into the chassis to give it another listen. Will do so this morning.

Then start looking at the lights.

MUCHAS GRACIAS FOR THE HELP!
 
Just got back from Birdville, dropping off a Western Screech Owl that Mabel keeps cornering in the backyard. Just getting to the 9090.5 now.
 
Controls are cleaned, and the FM is still weak. Never got to work on lamps other than to get some LED fuse lamps out..
 
Starting to look at the lights, but wanted to mention something I noticed last night. If I play my phone through Aux the power meters work normally and it sounds like I'm getting what a 9090 can give, plenty.

When I turn it to FM, I have to turn the volume up pretty high to hear weak FM and the power meters don't budge (but Tuning and S.S. have come back to life).
I couldn't see the power meters move at all, but maybe it's just so little sound even with the volume turned pretty high that the meter movement isn't noticeable. Don't like to leave it turned up like this because you just know there a stereo repair law (McMurphy's maybe) that at some point the power will match the volume I've got it cranked to and I'll need two new bench speakers.

Also noticed the board that sits on top of the function switch seems loose.

Anyhow, starting to wonder if it isn't a switch problem.
 
Deleted the post where I said there was no voltage for the lamps. I measured V DC, not AC so I remeasured and the 6.5 Vac is indeed on Pin 41.

Going to check F1470 now.
 
The AM comes out of the same L&R outputs from the tuner deck as the FM. Is the volume of AM low as well? That could tell us if it is in the selector switch?

Does the FM stereo light come on?
 
Last edited:
No FM Stereo Lamp. AM is the same weak volume as FM.

I tested from pin 11 on F2546 all the past pin 41 on F2541 to the in on F1470 and the connection is there. The voltage only gets to pin 41on F2541, doesn't show up on F1470. I resoldered the wire from pin 11 on F2546 to pin 41because someone had gooped it up, cleaner now with a good connection.

Does the voltage go through the switch after pin 41? Don't understand how it gets to 41 but no further.
 
No FM Stereo Lamp. AM is the same weak volume as FM.

I tested from pin 11 on F2546 all the past pin 41 on F2541 to the in on F1470 and the connection is there. The voltage only gets to pin 41on F2541, doesn't show up on F1470. I resoldered the wire from pin 11 on F2546 to pin 41because someone had gooped it up, cleaner now with a good connection.

Does the voltage go through the switch after pin 41? Don't understand how it gets to 41 but no further.

Yes the power from pin 41 goes through the switches and comes out to the dial lamps on the AM & FM settings of switch S01d to pin 39. Pin 39 should be going to the dial lamp board. It also powers the source lamps through switch S01c. Unless all of the source lamps are dead or S01c is not getting power or is really screwed up then I would think at least one of them should light up.

9090lamp.jpg

Did you look for the ground on the F1470 lamp board. No ground = no lights even with voltage.

f1470.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here is a list of the lamps to match up with the F-1470.

8080lamplist.jpg

I have worked on a couple of 8080's and 9090's but have not owned one so I don't know for sure, the diagrams seem to indicate the meter lamps are on all the time.
Points A & B are the lamp power and ground. If they are indeed on all the time then you should see lamp voltage at the sockets.
8080meterlamps.jpg
 
I once had a problem with the switch not getting the 6.3vac. The small contact on the switch had opened to the point it wasn't making contact with the rotary disc on the switch. Once I crimped the contact I had lights.

To crimp the contact I stuck a round toothpick in the contact up near the rivet then bent the far end of the contact down. Once the toothpick was removed the far end sprung down onto the rotary disc on the switch making good contact.


1754181572005.png
 
@kwayde thanks for you photo, it solves the mystery. I was told this unit hadn’t been worked on, but have found several signs it has. Another is the complete absence of a rotary disc on the switch. It bent some of the tabs before departing the scene.

Does the shaft of the switch go through the middle of the disc, is it possible to just “fall off”?

IMG_2348.jpeg
 
@kwayde thanks for you photo, it solves the mystery. I was told this unit hadn’t been worked on, but have found several signs it has. Another is the complete absence of a rotary disc on the switch. It bent some of the tabs before departing the scene.

Does the shaft of the switch go through the middle of the disc, is it possible to just “fall off”?

View attachment 3566116
No, they don't just fall off. It has a center hole that the switch shaft holds in place.
 
Back
Top Bottom