• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui AU 20000 restoration - many... many pictures

Kale - you are a master audio restoration craftsman and storyteller.

Here at this forum, I heard many positive names about my work, BUT for first time someone told to me that I am storyteller :D
It is really a great progress for me :smoke:

Ok, ...I am going to show you more... :D

Look what I have found
PICT0314.jpg


that Zobel filter was burned out, and what is interesting, the burned resistor was not original :scratch2:

OK, it is fixed

PICT0315.jpg
 
Last edited:
And now you will see the most interesting part at that restoration job...
First, I have to remove the front part of chassis

PICT0316.jpg


and this detail shows to me there will be problem with that oil or grease :sigh:

PICT0318.jpg
 
And please take a look what i have found :para:

PICT0319.jpg


or this

PICT0320.jpg


can you believe that is electronic board

PICT0321.jpg


PICT0322.jpg


BUUUT, it looks now like on this picture

PICT0323.jpg
 
What you think, can that switch work normally at that condition :scratch2:

PICT0324.jpg


but now it will

PICT0325.jpg


On the next picture is volume pot, how it was

PICT0327.jpg


and how it is now

PICT0328.jpg


And finally :)

PICT0329.jpg


PICT0331.jpg
 
The next step was Flat amp board,

PICT0332.jpg


but there I have found traces of grease too (below connectors)

PICT0333.jpg


PICT0334.jpg


after cleaning connector...

PICT0335.jpg


and finally after recaping...

PICT0339.jpg


PICT0338.jpg
 
... Tone Amplifier Board

PICT0367.jpg


I forgot to mention; all small signal transistors I pulled out to check Hfe, and if it is as it should be, it was solder back to its place.

... a little spice :D

PICT0368.jpg


and finally

PICT0400.jpg
 
... Filter Board...

PICT0372.jpg


ready for cleaning

PICT0373.jpg


but here I have fount that yellow cable was broken because it was soldered directly to board, so I decided to connect it on that way

PICT0374.jpg


PICT0375.jpg


... cleaning the switch

PICT0376.jpg


and checking crossover resistance

PICT0378.jpg


that FLUKE has feature to measure very small resistance without cable influence.

... more cleaning...

PICT0380.jpg


PICT0381.jpg


PICT0383.jpg


and finally

PICT0398.jpg
 
Au-20000 some differences.

Hello Friend! Great job! My AU-20000 is different from yours.

The plates f-2507 does not have the TR-12, and he does not appear in the schematic.

DSC01797.jpg



In your temperature control is done in drivers and mine is done in the output transistors.


DSC02828.jpg



DSC02830.jpg



I would also ask what is the value of two resistors r11 and r14 of porcelain that are on the underside of the plate f-2512.
In my 120rx5w they are connected in series and 150rx5w right on the board.


DSC02722.jpg



DSC01810.jpg



You know there are two generations of au-20000? What is it the oldest mine or yours?

DSC03359.jpg



DSC03363.jpg



DSC04048.jpg



DSC04050.jpg



DSC04069.jpg



DSC02703.jpg



DSC02706.jpg
 
Last edited:
Meter Circuit Board,

PICT0387.jpg


again grease problem

PICT0391.jpg


cleaning switches

PICT0392.jpg


and one interesting detail, look at the marks on the board and then look marks of polarity of capacitors :no:

PICT0395.jpg


again the same thing

PICT0396.jpg


one problem with solder point

pict0402.jpg


and finally....

PICT0405.jpg


PICT0404.jpg
 
Nice thorough job. Restoring to this degree is certainly a labor of love - a love that I and many others here share with you.

Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder as you sort out this amp. It is indeed a great amp - maybe the best vintage integrated Sansui had to offer aside from perhaps the AU-919, which is also a challenge to restore.
 
@ DVNOBLE
I must say you, you have very interesting model of AU20000 amplifier. Those pictures are new to me... I see some restoration job was done on yours amp, but when I see yours pictures, many differences I can see, especially on regulated power supply board... maybe someone did some modification... but those ceramic resistors made by Micron, just as Sansui used... really interesting, but unfortunately I cant help you.
One interesting detail I can see on yours picture; module of power stage doesnt has connector which goes into Motherboard for Driver board, the wires of power stage module are soldered directly on the board!?!

I have pictures of restoration two AU2000 and two BA3000 what I did in the past, but noones has that kind of boards like yours.
 
Last edited:
Awesome work.

It makes me wonder what my amplifiers look like deep inside. :D

It also gives me confidence to maybe try a full restoration like you have done one day. Again, amazing work Kale!
 
@ DVNOBLE
I must say you, you have very interesting model of AU20000 amplifier. Those pictures are new to me... I see some restoration job was done on yours amp, but when I see yours pictures, many differences I can see, especially on regulated power supply board... maybe someone did some modification... but those ceramic resistors made by Micron, just as Sansui used... really interesting, but unfortunately I cant help you.
One interesting detail I can see on yours picture; module of power stage doesnt has connector which goes into Motherboard for Driver board, the wires of power stage module are soldered directly on the board!?!

I have pictures of restoration two AU2000 and two BA3000 what I did in the past, but noones has that kind of boards like yours.

This model is the Japanese 100v. Those changes were that I did, because the heat was damaging the card.
From what I checked they confer circuit with the service manual that is in hifiengine.com.
Those wires were already so when I picked up was probably done to avoid poor contact.
I replaced all the resistors and capacitors eletrolitic him. Reducing the cutoff of 10Hz to 2Hz.


Where are your photos from BA-3000?

Hug!

DSC02328.jpg



DSC02349.jpg



DSC02316.jpg



DSC02307.jpg



DSC02799.jpg



DSC02797.jpg



DSC02795.jpg



DSC04153.jpg



DSC03853.jpg
 
Last edited:
@ DVNOBLE
Yours pictures are so large, please can you resize them? It will be easier to see them, on that way the structure of thread is distracted...

About yours question; I didnt say that I have pictures of BA 20000, I have pictures of restoration two BA3000

EDIT: Now it is much more better when yours pictures are resazed
 
Last edited:
Nice work Kale, looks like the previous "technician, or butcher" used whatever screws they had lying around to secure one of the output transistors!!

I like the work you do to clean up the circuit boards, dismantle and clean the switches....

I also like those emitter resistors you are using.......

I am a bit confused though, we seem to now have some other restoration with some VERY large pictures....its making the restoration thread a bit confusing.....
 
@ DVNOBLE
but when I see yours pictures, many differences I can see, especially on regulated power supply board... maybe someone did some modification... but those ceramic resistors made by Micron, just as Sansui used... really interesting, but unfortunately I cant help you.
One interesting detail I can see on yours picture; module of power stage doesnt has connector which goes into Motherboard for Driver board, the wires of power stage module are soldered directly on the board!?!

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but wanted to say to Kale that I have two different reg ps boards here and a couple of AU-20ks that have the output stages soldered on instead of the gold plug in pin assys.

We also know there are two different output stages, 1 with bias transistor on it, 1 without. Same for the driver boards, where the bias transistor moved from/to.
 
Back
Top Bottom