• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui SP-3500 - An AK'er Gift and Restoration Project

Can I have them back now?:D

You can drop them off and take another set home with you:thmbsp:

Hey,

It's good to see you mang, thanks for stopping by! Yeah, I think I'm okay on the Sansui front for a while. Those little buggers take some real detail work to get right, or right enough.

The second enclosure is going to need another 1 or 2 applications, at least. The Danish Oil isn't covering the veneer like it did on the first enclosure, it's really thirsty. I think I did coat #6 today? Still not enough.

Biggles
 
:jawdrop: :drool:

Man that is pretty. I was given a set that are in pretty rough shape, and was considering parting them out, but looking at that...
 
:jawdrop: :drool:

Man that is pretty. I was given a set that are in pretty rough shape, and was considering parting them out, but looking at that...

Heh, one man's "pretty rough shape" is another's "near pristine" condition. I haven't seen them, but I would recommend taking another look at them. Cock your head to the left or right this time, a different perspective.

Biggles
 
Hey Mang,

I'm liking those a lot! Outstanding work and beautiful veneer repairs.

I sometimes use a spot of silicone to hold caps in place.

How do they sound compared the the rects?

Glenn
 
Hey Mang,

I'm liking those a lot! Outstanding work and beautiful veneer repairs.

I sometimes use a spot of silicone to hold caps in place.

How do they sound compared the the rects?

Glenn

Thank you sir, it's much appreciated!

I was thinking of the caulk too. Am a huge fan of the 3M 4200, but at 22 bux a tube, ain't going to go there.

Compared? They're such different beasts, not really a fair comparison. Especially since I haven't really had a chance to listen to them much, and would like to put them on tubes to see what that's like.

All that being said, I can't find one aspect where the Rectilinears lose or fall short versus the 3500's. This isn't to say the 3500's are lousy in one respect or another. It's the fact that the Rectilinears are that good. Once I get the ADC-18's tuned properly, maybe they will.

Am still hunting for AR's, Dynaco's, Wharfedale's!

Biggles
 
Biggles, great work yet again. Makes me want to kick my sister in her ass for letting her kids DESTROY (and I mean truly destroy) a mint pair of SP-2500's I had given her a few years back. Makes my stomach churn. Should have given her a pair of old late '80's integrated hollow boxes and called it good.
 
Biggles, great work yet again. Makes me want to kick my sister in her ass for letting her kids DESTROY (and I mean truly destroy) a mint pair of SP-2500's I had given her a few years back. Makes my stomach churn. Should have given her a pair of old late '80's integrated hollow boxes and called it good.

Thank you and totally hip. It's unfortunate that sometimes these life lessons end up costing us so dearly. It's 1 good reason to keep a pair of those stoopid speakers laying about. Sometimes, it's all someone requires. We're too nice, too giving and easy with the equipment never considering the recipient could very well destroy our somewhat priceless gift of love.

Biggles
 
The nephew literally stuck his fingers thru the mids, and ripped them out, voice coil and all. The cabs are banged up now, chipped, crayons were used. Just awful.
 
The nephew literally stuck his fingers thru the mids, and ripped them out, voice coil and all. The cabs are banged up now, chipped, crayons were used. Just awful.

Wow. Even my gut feels a bit wrenched now. That's not right. Wow.

Where'd they end up?

Biggles
 
At my sis's house. I could repo them any time I like. New drivers, and a little tlc, they could be great again, but I simply have too many projects.

I know you can feel me on that, haha.
 
At my sis's house. I could repo them any time I like. New drivers, and a little tlc, they could be great again, but I simply have too many projects.

I know you can feel me on that, haha.

Sheeyit yeah. I've had to lay some recent projects to the side. I've forced myself to step backwards and complete the ones I started first. Once I get those taken care of, then I move forward. Otherwise I'll never complete anything. Know what I mean, Vern?

Go get the speakers, drag them home and put them up for a while. The closer you are to them, the more likely you are to begin restoration. It must be done!

Biggles
 
Since she's moving to florida later this summer, I bet they get left behind. I'll scoop them up and put them in storage. Didn't care for the sound on cds, but they sounded quite good with vinyl, and they weren't recapped.
 
Since she's moving to florida later this summer, I bet they get left behind. I'll scoop them up and put them in storage. Didn't care for the sound on cds, but they sounded quite good with vinyl, and they weren't recapped.

Ya think ??? Scoop ho!

The second enclosure is due for another application of oil tomorrow. Maybe this application will be the final deal, not convinced though. Maybe by the end of the week I can get it back together. The sides and front baffle seem "right", but the top and the bottom are still coming out a little on the dull side. Mebbe I'll just do the top N bottom. Just kinda seeing how it all lays as I go. I tossed the whole thought process of doing exactly the same procedure to each enclosure long ago. They're not the same from the beginning, I have to guide each one through its own situation to achieve something I can live with.

Biggles
 
Ya think ??? Scoop ho!

The second enclosure is due for another application of oil tomorrow. Maybe this application will be the final deal, not convinced though. Maybe by the end of the week I can get it back together. The sides and front baffle seem "right", but the top and the bottom are still coming out a little on the dull side. Mebbe I'll just do the top N bottom. Just kinda seeing how it all lays as I go. I tossed the whole thought process of doing exactly the same procedure to each enclosure long ago. They're not the same from the beginning, I have to guide each one through its own situation to achieve something I can live with.

Biggles
Sounds like a plan. I remember once in a while we would get "mismatched" speakers (working at RS). Wasn't much we could do, though with speakers that didn't have a varnish or other protective surface you could use stains or oil to darken the lighter speakers. Some customers didn't care when they were two-for-one sales.
 
Sounds like a plan. I remember once in a while we would get "mismatched" speakers (working at RS). Wasn't much we could do, though with speakers that didn't have a varnish or other protective surface you could use stains or oil to darken the lighter speakers. Some customers didn't care when they were two-for-one sales.

Toofer 1, I remember those! When I drug them home from 4-2-7's abode, before I begun to sand them down, I didn't notice any difference. But at that point, I wasn't really looking either. I'll bet they were stained to look similar. Again, I don't really care. They both look great in their own right, so it's more than good.

This just opens me up to find another pair or single 3500 to see if I can get a match. OH yeah.

Biggles
 
Happy Tuesday Evening!

Welp, I got the last application of oil on the last enclosure earlier today. Why is it the last one? Because I say so, that's why. Hooboy, I'm tired of oiling these things! I didn't take a picture today, just couldn't do it. But brother, or sister, when I send that over? It's going to be a jaw locker. Not sure exactly what that means, I just made it up. Heh, can you tell I'm tired?

Seriously though, oiling done.

Onward!

Biggles
 
SP3500083.jpg


Nailed it.

Been a long time, eh? Since we last talked, I've done a major hillbilly redo of my work area/garage. I was given a huge 6 x 3 steel/formica top workbench with many steel drawers. I have 360 degree access to it, very nice. Then I rearranged a lot of stuff and was able to setup a listening/test area for speakers/equipment. This is what you see in the image above. In the back holding the amps/receivers is an early Curtis Mathis tube powered stereo console with a hole for a TV (original, unmolested and untested). Life is getting better here.

All that coupled with the fact I have no work for today, this kid got to work on audio projects after work yesterday. I was able to get the second Sansui SP-3500 enclosure recapped and buttoned up. The first enclosure's crossover was rattlin', got the caps glued back down. About an hour ago I got stuff moved around enough and was able to jack in the Scott 222c and an ipod loaded with The Buena Vista Club.

And brother, or sister, tubes coupled with music in the midrange makes these little 3500's come alive. I started out with the attenuators on the back in the middle, they're now on the Bright setting. I'M GETTING NO HORN BURN in my ear bones! Hairs on arms are up, hairs on legs are up, hairs on legs are up and my scalp be tinglin'.

I've listened to these rigs on 70's solid state and I liked them enough to keep them. But the horn burn was there when I pushed them with the treble up a tad, or jacked the attenuators. These were not anything near the Altec Valencia's, those gave me headaches at any level.

With the little Scott driving these formidable beasts, after a good recap, they're 14 thumbs up winners on tubes. Wow. These will cause me to spend all afternoon in and around the garage just so I can bask in their glow. I'm a happy camper today.

Biggles
 
Congrats - Looks Great!

Something about tubes, huh? My Scott sounds fantastic as well (when it is not misbehaving at least).

You've done a fine day's work, Sir!
 
Last edited:
Thank you! Sheeyuh, ran through some Getz and Charlie Byrd a while ago. Now I have Carly Simon pouring through the back yard. Oddly enough, my Scott is doing just fine.

It's going so well, I fired up a new smoker a friend dropped off the other day. Getting ready to install a rack of pork spares in it. AHHAHAHHAHHAH, Anticipation just queued up! OH man, that's killing me.

Biggles
 
Back
Top Bottom