• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sansui SP-3500 - An AK'er Gift and Restoration Project

Those 3500's should be an easy resto for you Bigg's, and you should be able to get them running on the quad receiver by the end of the week hey. I am sure that you will enjoy them, congrats! :thmbsp:
 
Those 3500's should be an easy resto for you Bigg's, and you should be able to get them running on the quad receiver by the end of the week hey. I am sure that you will enjoy them, congrats! :thmbsp:

LOL

He's rolling in quad now and all Sansui what more could a guy want.:D
 
Thanks and yeah I gotta get to repairing that cloth surround. I'm gonna need to get all 4 going immediately.

I'm not sure what my next fad will be, yet.

Biggles
 
You are on a roll man! Sitting in the middle of four of those will be nirvana I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing you do your magic on these as well!

Glenn
 
Sitting in the middle of 4 of those bad boys, listening to midrange heaven.

The downside is that I'm going to have to remove the Toshiba SA-7150 for a while. I only got room for one monster, at the moment. Oh the things we suffer through.

Biggles
 
Sitting in the middle of 4 of those bad boys, listening to midrange heaven.

The downside is that I'm going to have to remove the Toshiba SA-7150 for a while. I only got room for one monster, at the moment. Oh the things we suffer through.

Biggles

Well you can see I hardly have any setting room any more in my house. Funny as gear moves in the furniture gets moved out.
 
Well you can see I hardly have any setting room any more in my house. Funny as gear moves in the furniture gets moved out.

It makes complete and perfect sense, to me. If it weren't for my family and a few friends, the sofa would have been LONG gone. I would be able to have ALL of my speakers and amplifiers ready and waiting for fun and merriment.

Furniture gets in the way of fun.

Biggles
 
SP3500II002.jpg

Yeah! Got home this afternoon and yanked out a woofer. I figured I was going to need to get to both the front and the back so I could semi-effectively get the cloth surround glued back down. So far, so good. I've got 1 woofer done.

Upon opening up the enclosure I remembered the batting in there that blocks off the upper portion of the enclosure, woofer don't have much room to breathe. So, just like the first pair, I cut back the batting so the woofer could use the entire enclosure. I remember doing a right / left comparison on the first pair and it actually made a very, very small difference in the bass response.

After spending some close inspection time with this second pair, am going to go back to my first pair and inspect the condition of the cloth surround. I never figured it'd come unglued and don't remember taking a gander.

SP3500II003.jpg


SP3500II004.jpg


SP3500II005.jpg


Biggles
 
Yeah, I spent most of the morning peeking my head out the door waiting for the UPS truck. It came and went with no heavy box. So, I figured that was a sign to get my squirrelly butt to work and get things ready.

While getting the surround glued back down, got the veneer on the enclosure cleaned up. The lacquer is actually pretty okay, cleaned up nicely. Other than new capacitors (after the sound check), these are going to remain in-play for a while. When I have nothing else to do, I'll pull them out and strip n refinish.

Biggles
 
Yeah, I spent most of the morning peeking my head out the door waiting for the UPS truck. It came and went with no heavy box. So, I figured that was a sign to get my squirrelly butt to work and get things ready.

While getting the surround glued back down, got the veneer on the enclosure cleaned up. The lacquer is actually pretty okay, cleaned up nicely. Other than new capacitors (after the sound check), these are going to remain in-play for a while. When I have nothing else to do, I'll pull them out and strip n refinish.

Biggles
Biggles is back! Wait, second pair? I missed that. And I sold my second pair, but I'm OK with that, too many speakers anyway.

So, with the surround repaired you still like performance better with less batting? Or would you rethink this with the repairs? I'm thinking with the leak that would change characteristics quite a bit. When did you get the second set?
 
Hey Copa,

Look back a few posts and you'll see that I came home Saturday with a load from 4-2-7's place. I've got a Sansui quad receiver due any day and wanted a second pair of 3500's for it, so there's that.

I'm on the verge of having too many speakers as well. So, am having a friend help me put in more loft space in my garage to hold them all. I'm already in dire need of more floor space in there!

I don't know enough about speaker design to know what exactly I've done to the dynamics of the sound with removing that strip of batting. The tweeters, horns and midranges are all enclosed, so I'm safe there. When I did it with the first pair of 3500's I noticed that the bass went a tad deeper. That's to my ears anyway. It reminded me of the Video Lady mods to the Realistic Mach I, sorta.

Biggles
 
Argh! You are making me want to go get another pair!! Wish I hadn't have sold the ones I had...

There is a pair for sale locally here for $3something.....NO way I'm paying that!!

Great work Biggles :banana::banana::banana::banana:
 
Hey PioneerGuy,

Thank you for the kind words! Oh, yeah I wouldn't pay that either. These little rigs do what they do really well, but they aren't for all genres. I ran them off my big ol' Toshiba for a few days, pushed all kinds of modern and older music through them. The Rectilinear III's are far better for that, a daily pair of speakers. But if you jack in an older solid state or tubey love and play music that doesn't dig so deep? Holy crud do they absolutely come alive.

The best part for me is that they do this with a small footprint, a smaller living room. Even with my newly restored Scott 222c, I wouldn't have been able to keep the Altec Valencias. I simply don't have the room, the floor space available to give them the area they need to really open up and come alive. The second best part is that if you're thoughtful and patient about acquiring them, they don't break the bank. And there's always a pair of some old Sansui SP series available locally.

Biggles
 
Hey PioneerGuy,

Thank you for the kind words! Oh, yeah I wouldn't pay that either. These little rigs do what they do really well, but they aren't for all genres. I ran them off my big ol' Toshiba for a few days, pushed all kinds of modern and older music through them. The Rectilinear III's are far better for that, a daily pair of speakers. But if you jack in an older solid state or tubey love and play music that doesn't dig so deep? Holy crud do they absolutely come alive.

The best part for me is that they do this with a small footprint, a smaller living room. Even with my newly restored Scott 222c, I wouldn't have been able to keep the Altec Valencias. I simply don't have the room, the floor space available to give them the area they need to really open up and come alive. The second best part is that if you're thoughtful and patient about acquiring them, they don't break the bank. And there's always a pair of some old Sansui SP series available locally.

Biggles
Looks like I need to take the Kenny Quad home and hook her up.
 
Back
Top Bottom