• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui SP-3500 - An AK'er Gift and Restoration Project

SP3500II006.jpg


Hey!

Originally my thought was to fire up the second pair of 3500's (original capacitors) and do a comparison between fresh capacitors in the first pair. But while buttoning up the SP-1500's this morning, I realized I already know what old capacitors sound like. And, so does nearly everyone else here who has drug home 40 year old loudspeakers. So, to gosh with all of that. I'm just going to recap the second pair and be done with it. I'm getting tired of dragging heavy things to and fro.

Besides, after listening to the Sansui QRX-6001 over the last few days, it's clear to me that it really would like to have some Sansui speakers to play with. The Rectilinears are just fine for 2 channel, but they suck the receiver dry when you flip over to running 4 of the suckers. I've run MP3's, LP's and some Tom Jones on Reel to Reel through, my psyche tells me it was some SP flavor action.

It was a joy recapping this third crossover. I could recap these 3500's all day long. I had everything open, set up and ready to go in no time. Loved it.

Biggles
 
Long day, got tons done this weekend. As of right now, I have 3 SP-3500's complete. And by complete, I mean they have their grills screwed on and they're in the house.

The last 2 had cloth surround adhesion separation, this has been taken care of. The only thing I have left to do is recap one crossover, and that's it pally boy! Well, okay the last two enclosures need to be stripped and refinished. But I can do that another day. I simply can't wait for that, I need to experience some solid Sansui Quad action.

As I was moving the 3 into the living room, even in dim light, it was readily apparent which ones had been refinished and which had not. It was breathtaking and put the second pair to near shame. It isn't so much that the second pair are in that bad of shape, it's the fact the first pair are that nice.

Hooyah!

Biggles
 
Well since your a pro now with the recaping you want to do mine? The 3500 & 5000, Im sure I have something you want here:D
 
Well since your a pro now with the recaping you want to do mine? The 3500 & 5000, Im sure I have something you want here:D

I'd be honored! You bet, count me in. I have to warn you though, you're going to fall in love with them all over again.

Biggles
 
SP3500II007.jpg


Editor's Note: The scraping on the circuit board to bare copper was done by me, the hole was not.

Hey!

I dragged the 4th and last Sansui SP-3500 out to the garage this afternoon to install the new capacitors. Someone had been in there before me! The white googe over the hold-down screws was gone, there was extra solder holding the circuit board to the crossover cover, on the binding posts. They knew what they were doing.

I sucked the extra solder off the binding posts and the circuit board slid right off. The trace side was pretty pock marked and there was a hole right through a trace. I cleaned back some of that green coating to expose some copper. In the past I've laid a solid core hunk of wire bridging the gap, solder it in place. It works FINE that way. But for this job, I didn't wanna. I can't justify my decision, I just didn't wanna.

The auction site had 1 for sale at 24 dollars, buy it now. So I did. Said it was pulled from a working speaker, it looks clean and comes with mounting hardware (extra for me!).

The project gets put on hold for a bit, but I'm okay with that. Besides, this means I can drag in the Sansui SD-5050 reel to reel for a clean, lube and figure out why the right channel is dead.

Biggles
 
Sheeyuh! I finally drug in my 2 Sansui SP-3500's that i restored last night, got them jacked into the QRX-6001 this afternoon. I only have the 2 speakers hooked up at the moment. Am delayed on getting the 4th 3500 up and going.

I ran some more modern music through them. Everything was right where you wanted it, but they just didn't quite drop low enough But as everyone has stated, they love the juice and really come alive when pushed. These can really cruise at high volumes now, what with the new capacitors and all. Exceptionally clean and pure.

However, when I jacked in Iron Horse Bluegrass? A whole nother speaker altogether. Nice lower thud of the standup bass, vocals flew high up above and away back. Exceptionally livable at lower volumes whereas the newer music just kinda sat there. I'll move them over to the Scott 222c later this week and let that run for a while.

The 3500's don't deliver all genres of music well, such as the Rectilinear III's. But when they do well, they're outstanding. At the price point one can pick up a pair, replace the capacitors and depending upon your listening pleasures, they cannot be beat.

Biggles

PS - When I get the stereo 12" subwoofers created, I'm going to have a wonderful sound system for a very low buy-in cost. Hooyah!
 
nice write up on the progress of your 3500's, i just brought a pair of these home, a 1 owner pair, original owner brought them home from Japan in 1970, and has never had the grills off, now my problem is i cant get them off, is there a trick to them ? feels like if i pull any harder they are going to break, are they just that hard to get off ? been trying to see any close up pics on how they are attached.
 
nice write up on the progress of your 3500's, i just brought a pair of these home, a 1 owner pair, original owner brought them home from Japan in 1970, and has never had the grills off, now my problem is i cant get them off, is there a trick to them ? feels like if i pull any harder they are going to break, are they just that hard to get off ? been trying to see any close up pics on how they are attached.

STOP !!! Get a flashlight, quick! In each of the 4 corners is a VERY VERY tiny black screw with a philips head. You can find them, go!

They'll fall out after that.

Check the cloth surround and make sure it's adhered well to the paper cone. Then plan on replacing the capacitors, pronto.

Biggles
 
nice write up on the progress of your 3500's, i just brought a pair of these home, a 1 owner pair, original owner brought them home from Japan in 1970, and has never had the grills off, now my problem is i cant get them off, is there a trick to them ? feels like if i pull any harder they are going to break, are they just that hard to get off ? been trying to see any close up pics on how they are attached.

They have screws in them in the #3 laset holes @ all four corners. Use a flash light as they are small and dark brown
 
stop !!! get a flashlight, quick! In each of the 4 corners is a very very tiny black screw with a philips head. You can find them, go!

They'll fall out after that.

Check the cloth surround and make sure it's adhered well to the paper cone. Then plan on replacing the capacitors, pronto.

Biggles
lmao:d
 
STOP !!! Get a flashlight, quick! In each of the 4 corners is a VERY VERY tiny black screw with a philips head. You can find them, go!

They'll fall out after that.

Check the cloth surround and make sure it's adhered well to the paper cone. Then plan on replacing the capacitors, pronto.

Biggles

Thanks alot I was sure I was missing something
 
Yeah, I spent most of the morning peeking my head out the door waiting for the UPS truck. It came and went with no heavy box. So, I figured that was a sign to get my squirrelly butt to work and get things ready.

While getting the surround glued back down, got the veneer on the enclosure cleaned up. The lacquer is actually pretty okay, cleaned up nicely. Other than new capacitors (after the sound check), these are going to remain in-play for a while. When I have nothing else to do, I'll pull them out and strip n refinish.

Biggles

what glue did you use for the surrounds ? and thanks again for the info of the grills, got them off and see that i have a couple places that need re glued
 
what glue did you use for the surrounds ? and thanks again for the info of the grills, got them off and see that i have a couple places that need re glued

I used the leftover tube I had from a Simply Speaker's surround job I did a few months ago. I don't know what it is, but it's a fitch to use. It dries pretty quickly, but gets everywhere if you don't keep tabs on it. It can get stringy like mozzarella cheese, it's a pain. But it moves quickly enough, so that why I used it. You can also use Aleen's, easy peasy.

Biggles
 
Hi, I just picked up a free pair of the SP-3500s. Of course the surround is coming off and stiff. I can easily glue the surround but did you ever figure out a good way to soften them up chemically? How about a 30 hz tone for a while?
 
Hi, I just picked up a free pair of the SP-3500s. Of course the surround is coming off and stiff. I can easily glue the surround but did you ever figure out a good way to soften them up chemically? How about a 30 hz tone for a while?

Or how about 10 watts of good music?

Probably both would get you there.
 
Hey,

Nope, all efforts using theory came up with ruining the existing situation. Use'm, that's what we call came up with.

Please don't judge them too harshly until you get new capacitors in them. I ran a pair of 3500's jacked into my little Scott integrated amp the other day, all day. It was Johnny Cash all the way. Holy criminy they absolutely shined. Wow.

Biggles
 
Reviving this old thread.

I just got a pair of 5500 and I wonder if anyone tried to restore the grill and what time of finish it uses ?

Thanks.
 
Hi Pepito,

What exactly are you wanting to do to the grill? Are there missing pieces of wood, broken snapped bits? Stains, water damage, paint?

As you can see, the detail work on those grills is insane. Sanding, wood bleach and a new finish would be an insane job and you'd never see the monetary return on your efforts. What we generally do, is wait for a replacement to show up on fleabay and simply replace them.

Just to wash them with wood soap and oil them up is quite a job. We're talking tooth brush and time.

Biggles
 
Hi Pepito,

What exactly are you wanting to do to the grill? Are there missing pieces of wood, broken snapped bits? Stains, water damage, paint?

As you can see, the detail work on those grills is insane. Sanding, wood bleach and a new finish would be an insane job and you'd never see the monetary return on your efforts. What we generally do, is wait for a replacement to show up on fleabay and simply replace them.

Just to wash them with wood soap and oil them up is quite a job. We're talking tooth brush and time.

Biggles


Hi.

My grills are ok not broken or chips but in some areas the finish kinda fade off so it looks very faded and the grills seems to be like painted not oiled so I though I could get the same finish and just repaint/refinish those areas.

luckily I don't have to repair anything on them.

The cabinet has a dent in the back that I did when putting those suckers on the Van ( they are heavy) and that will need a very little piece of veneer and the rest is just some scratches here and there but I don't think they need to be completely sanded and refinish yet.
 
Back
Top Bottom