• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Schiit Fans ?

My current schiit is used for my headphones which are HD600's. A Modi 3, and Magni 3 Heresy, both very pleased with.
 
I don't have Vidars, or any Schiit for that matter, but I seem to recall a thread where some mentioned their Vidar made a humming/buzzing noise. Just going from memory it was a mechanical noise not in the audio output.

That turned out to be a mounting issue with the transformer. Four plastic standoffs held the transformer, and in some instances, the standoffs cracked in shipping. That allowed the transformer to buzz. Replacing the standoffs fixed the issue.

Me, I have multiple Schiit DACs (Modi 3, Bifrost MB, Modius, Gungnir D/S) and head amps (Vali 1, Lyr 2, Fulla 3), and a Saga preamp. All of it sounds great, and performs as expected. No complaints. I'm sure I'll buy more Schiit in the future too.
 
Last edited:
(doing my best to stay away from money/price discussion)

1x Freya +

2x Vidar (Mono blocks)


In that ^ realm which other maker's pre/amp or integrated would be in the same league SQ wise?

Also... Schiit Fans. Do you like (happy with) those products?

Thanks

Do you have that system already, or is it on order? Should be nice. One day, I'd like to upgrade to a Freya+. That, and upgrade my Gungnir to Multibit. After that, it's waiting on the Urd transport, and the new amps that Jason has been teasing.
 
I'm looking to go new...

I have some mighty fine refurbed , recapped & modified 70s stuff... many are probably 'better' than new

I'm not sure about these Schiit items but am interested

Couple other brands on the radar too
 
Last edited:
Inquiry : What is the difference between the Modi 3 and 3+? I think mine is the 3+ which if memory serves was the first schiit product that got the dancing pink panther award over at asr.
 
Inquiry : What is the difference between the Modi 3 and 3+? I think mine is the 3+ which if memory serves was the first schiit product that got the dancing pink panther award over at asr.

The Modi 3+ has Unison USB. That's the main difference. Jason has also said there are some "circuit tweaks" too, but he didn't elaborate on what they were.
 
Last edited:
I dig Schiit so much I have several: a Mani (phono pre-amp), Modi 2 Uber (largely retired), Modi 3 DAC, and the Schiit stack you see here: Modi Multibit, Loki Mini-Equalizer (just to punch up the sound of the 10W Jolida FX-10 Glass amp), and the SYS 2-input switch to choose between the Multibit and the iFi Zen DAC. The Multibit is punchier and the iFi a little more spacious to my ears. I just ordered the (auto-)biographical history of the company, "Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up," published in 2015 and available as a Kindle download on Amazon for $4.99. Haven't started it yet, though.

IMG_6351.jpeg
 
Modi 3+ and Magni 3 user here. My Modi failed last week after a few year's use so I immediately ordered the 3+. I only use these BOTL Schiit products, with which I am happy. When they cost several hundred dollars, I tend to prefer a full-size component - anyone else?
 
Magni 3, no complaints. Sold it because I picked up one of those AAA THX headphone amps.

I currently have a Modius in my main system, Again, no complaints. It sounds as good as my Cambridge DACMagic Plus.

I have a Freya + en route from CA. Should be here Friday (ordered December 2). So looking forward to having a remote in the bedroom.
 
http://<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="10317767" data-share-method="host" data-width="100%" data-aspect-ratio="1.439306358381503"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/****-fan-gif-10317767">**** Gonna GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/****-gifs">**** GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>
 
Ragnarok (vers. 1) doing excellent duty in my living room. As I split my time pretty equally between speakers and headphones it's right on target for me.
 
Magni III+ here. My first one was a victim of United parcel smashers. (damaged one of the rear panel switches), but the replacement sounds very nice.

It is built to a certain price point, and there are compromises in parts quality. Those compromises haven’t seemed to effect sound quality or longevity. (So far)
 
Didn't notice any clicking or popping.
Samsung BRP>>>coax>>>Bifrost 4490>>>system in my sig

I will dig out my DV45a latter and try it.
Per the Schiit website:

Clicking When Changing Sample Rates/Pausing/Etc.

1. It’s totally normal for Bifrost, Gungnir, and Yggdrasil DACs to click (mechanically, from the chassis) during normal operation. That’s the muting relay, doing its job. It clicks whenever the SPDIF datastream is interrupted.

2. If it’s clicking excessively on a Mac or PC, you can reduce it by routing system sounds to the speaker on a Mac, rather than to the Schiit USB Audio Device output. On a PC, you can set system sounds to "no sounds." In both cases, using USB largely eliminates it.

3. If it’s clicking excessively on a CD transport when in pause, the CD transport has a cycling interruption in the datastream. There’s no real fix for this, except getting another CD transport. It won’t hurt the Bifrost or Gungnir, though—the relays are rated for several million cycles.
 
Per the Schiit website:

Clicking When Changing Sample Rates/Pausing/Etc.

1. It’s totally normal for Bifrost, Gungnir, and Yggdrasil DACs to click (mechanically, from the chassis) during normal operation. That’s the muting relay, doing its job. It clicks whenever the SPDIF datastream is interrupted.

2. If it’s clicking excessively on a Mac or PC, you can reduce it by routing system sounds to the speaker on a Mac, rather than to the Schiit USB Audio Device output. On a PC, you can set system sounds to "no sounds." In both cases, using USB largely eliminates it.

3. If it’s clicking excessively on a CD transport when in pause, the CD transport has a cycling interruption in the datastream. There’s no real fix for this, except getting another CD transport. It won’t hurt the Bifrost or Gungnir, though—the relays are rated for several million cycles.

I believe you, mine isn’t doing it. I have been working on electronics professionally since 1984. PFM is a real thing ;)
 
I went with the " made in the U.S.A " aspect - competition is high in the price range of 100 - 500 or so and there are any number to select from but decided on a Bifrost 4490 and Modi 3 DACs - looking at possibly getting a Modius as well though not using the XLR connections I might be better off with something else.
 
I believe you, mine isn’t doing it. I have been working on electronics professionally since 1984. PFM is a real thing ;)
Lucky you for no clicks! I’m using a Sony DVP-S7000 dvd player (30+ years old and still crankin’ data) so no complaints here! :p

The clicking is irritating but bearable. No harm, no foul.
 
Over the years I've purchased a Bifrost Multibit (upgraded from original), Asgard 2, Loki, Eitr, and 2 pair of PYST Cables. Never been disappointed.
 
Back
Top Bottom