• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Schiit Fans ?

On the other hand - if the signal chain of my Freya+ was digital, it would be someone else’s Freya+. I find it reassuring that if my Freya was a month newer, it would have an empty FB socket and still have a purely analog signal path without a pot or any point to point wiring dependent on some foreign national wage slave having a good day to get it right. My Emo and Jolida Chifi power amps have all been moved on. When the total cost of repair and shipping exceeds what I pay for it, it goes as a fixer. I still have 6 out of 6 pieces of new Schiit, the 7th piece I bought used.
For what it's worth, all Schiit gear is designed and built in Texas. Schiit uses as many U.S. sourced components as possible. Even the circuit boards are built in-house on their own automated assembly line. A second production line has been added too. For those reasons, I like to support the company. Their excellent engineering, sound quality, and direct sales pricing are also factors to why I support them and will continue to do so.
 
It depends. Forkbeard capabilities vary according to the device it's used with. An analog based product does less, while a digital based product can have greater Forkbeard capabilities, since those features can be implemented digitally. So, while Forkbeard can't add a Balance control feature to an analog preamp, it can add Balance features to a DAC. Preamps, amps, EQs and DACs, all have differing capabilities with Forkbeard, that will work in conjunction with one another, as a whole, which is how the software is designed to work. Each Forkbeard device will stack on top of each other, as new Forkbeard enabled gear is added to a system. A symbiotic relationship.

Understood. But in my particular situation, considering that I don't have a stack of Schitt gear and only have the new Freya, Forkbeard is a $50 remote.
 
Understood. But in my particular situation, considering that I don't have a stack of Schitt gear and only have the new Freya, Forkbeard is a $50 remote.
But, it's a $50 dollar remote that you're not forced to buy. I didn't buy one for my Mimir either.
 
Followin' up on my Freya F purchase...

After living with it for a few weeks now I'm very happy with the decision. Other than verifying that the passive and JFET buffers actually work when I first got it, I've been using it exclusively in tube buffer mode. I'll experiment with the others some day.

I mainly wanted to comment on the heat generated by it. This was a concern of mine before buying it.

My rack is open on all four sides and there is roughly 3" of space between the top of the chassis and the shelf above it (the top of the rack) and about 1.5" between the tops of the (stock 6N8S) tubes and the shelf. The room has a/c but electricity is very expensive here so it is set to 80.

It certainly gets warm especially when compared to my old solid state Adcom pre amp. But warm is about as "bad" as it gets. The stereo was on continuously for close to 12 hours yesterday nothing approached "hot" as far as I am concerned. The volume knob gets warm -never approaching too hot to touch- and that was a little odd at first and it certainly caught my wife off guard. It does warm up the shelf above it but, again, nothing that is causing me concern.
 
Followin' up on my Freya F purchase...

After living with it for a few weeks now I'm very happy with the decision. Other than verifying that the passive and JFET buffers actually work when I first got it, I've been using it exclusively in tube buffer mode. I'll experiment with the others some day.

I mainly wanted to comment on the heat generated by it. This was a concern of mine before buying it.

My rack is open on all four sides and there is roughly 3" of space between the top of the chassis and the shelf above it (the top of the rack) and about 1.5" between the tops of the (stock 6N8S) tubes and the shelf. The room has a/c but electricity is very expensive here so it is set to 80.

It certainly gets warm especially when compared to my old solid state Adcom pre amp. But warm is about as "bad" as it gets. The stereo was on continuously for close to 12 hours yesterday nothing approached "hot" as far as I am concerned. The volume knob gets warm -never approaching too hot to touch- and that was a little odd at first and it certainly caught my wife off guard. It does warm up the shelf above it but, again, nothing that is causing me concern.
i put socket savers on my Freya N to lift the tubes up a bit and reduce the heat inside the chassis, just as a precaution.
 
I check the one in my main system with a laser temperature gun... without socket savers the left side of the case ran around 125F, with the socket savers it runs 95F. The tubes themselves generally run 135-140F. I'm loving my new Psvane tubes- I have the Summit 6SN7 in the main stereo and the CV181 T II in the office. The Summit tubes are "exact", the 181's are a little on the warm side.
109_4912.JPG109_4880.jpg
 
I bought a quad of Foton 6N1P-EV military/space rated tubes for my Schiit Stjarna phono preamp and left them turned on for 4 days to break in a bit. Man do they sound good, definitely smoother than the JJ E88CC gold pin tubes I've been using.
 
So today I replaced all the stick on rubber feet on my three Schiit Freya's, a Loki Max, and a Stjarna with some silicone domes (1.25" dia x .625" high, 20 duro) and magically I can now drum on the cases of all three Freya's and not have any sound bleed through -before they were microphonic to one extent or another depending on the tube in the preamp. So whatever feet you have on your Schiit stuff now, ditch it for some Silicone !

Link to the ones I got from Hudson HiFi:
 
Last edited:
So today I replaced all the stick on rubber feet on my three Schiit Freya's, a Loki Max, and a Stjarna with some silicone domes (1.25" dia x .625" high, 20 duro) and magically I can now drum on the cases of all three Freya's and not have any sound bleed through -before they were microphonic to one extent or another depending on the tube in the preamp. So whatever feet you have on your Schiit stuff now, ditch it for some Silicone !

Link to the ones I got from Hudson HiFi:

Interesting stuff.

My new Freya is my first dip in the tube pool. I can't say that I have noticed any microphonic issues although, truth be told, I don't know what to listen for. But I have been very happy with the sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom