• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us the neatest point-to-point wiring

davidro

Lunatic Member
Is your amp good ol' point-to-point wired? Is the job neatly done?
Let's see some photos!

Here's the nudie of my Earl Weston Time Machine 300B SET:

Image21_zps8770a3ba.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't have any audio stuff that's point-to-point with no PCBs, but FWIW I've built some very pretty stuff with all the wires neatly bundled that oscillated and had hum issues. The same circuits with completely different layout, though much less appealing, worked great. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with beautiful layout and construction, just that it's no guarantee of maximizing the circuit performance. Some General Radio test equipment had really nice p2p work, and performed quite a bit better than good.
 
Go here: http://wardsweb.org/audio/index_audio.html Click on the Tube/DIY dropdown, and look at some of the work.

Luther is a member here, and is skilled in doing NASA-quality point to point wiring. His work will really give you something to shoot for.

Btw, the first dropdown is the build of a Bottlehead Foreplay. If you go down to the bottom of the page, the one with the vertical legs on the wooden case now belongs to yours truly, so I can personally vouch for the build quality.
 
These Altec 1530a monoblocks have nice p2p wiring
 

Attachments

  • altec 1530.jpg
    altec 1530.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 227
  • altec 1530c.jpg
    altec 1530c.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 147
  • altec 1530b.jpg
    altec 1530b.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I don't recall where I saw it, but it was something with honest-to-goodness cable lacing.

-D
 
Look in the center... you can tell he really loves his work!:D

Now that's a REAL star ground.

Component placing (sockets, caps, etc) is critical to get a nice build like this. It takes a lot of forethought to get everything laid out without having long runs or having wire paths cross over each other too much.

I've never seen caps sitting on top of wire wound resistors like that. At least that's what it looks like in the bottom right quadrant of the pic where the blue electrolytic caps are sitting on top of the gold wire wounds.
 
Yowza. Those are some very tidy rigs.

You guys should have seen the "Hallicrafters" Amateur Radio rigs I worked on in the 70's. Rats Nest Wiring compared to these samples. ;)
 
I'm glad a leak has been shown. Those have impressed me with the tag board keeping all the components neat and the wiring around routed with military corners. I have seen some SS McIntosh with similar 90° turns in the wiring. Maybe they have some tube gear with this also. I searched for a leak and found this page. very neat wiring http://www.soundup.ru/index.php?opt...098:leak-tl12-1-amplifier&catid=10:amplifiers These make my Luxman tube amps look a bit rough. Even though the Luxmans have a couple boards the internal wiring is not bad. Since it does not qualify as point to point, you gotta click to see it. No reason to fill the thread with non-qualifying content.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=391074&d=1353465806
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom