• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Finally got around to it....

Here's my STR 7800SD. Needs to have the side panels replaced with some real wood, and the tuner section only plays in mono currently, either needing an alignment or the replacement of an IC. However, with an outboard SONY tuner, she makes the Timewindows/BU-80 sub/TF-600's sing. Sitting on the bed in the middle of the room is to be enveloped in music like a warm glove, coming from everywhere.....
 

Attachments

  • CIMG1214.JPG
    CIMG1214.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG1212_1.JPG
    CIMG1212_1.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 168
  • CIMG1218_1.JPG
    CIMG1218_1.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 74
Very nice!! Should you decide to send it out, Terry DeWick has done a number of the big Sony receivers for folks recently. From a simple clean and align the tuner all the way up to a full recap on an STR-V7 that went from me to Negotiableterms. He is just over the road from you in Knoxville.
 
Yamaha B-2 said:
Very nice!! Should you decide to send it out, Terry DeWick has done a number of the big Sony receivers for folks recently. From a simple clean and align the tuner all the way up to a full recap on an STR-V7 that went from me to Negotiableterms. He is just over the road from you in Knoxville.

I'll second that. Terry really made a big difference with my STR-V6. It went from the worst tuner I owned to one of the best. Nice looking 7800SD btw.
 
Thanks!

The faceplate is a bit scratched up, but considering I paid $75 for it, I'm not going to complain. I've always considered performance more important than cosmetics anyway. It's always nice to find something in pristine condition, but I can live with less than perfect. After all, I'm sure not in pristine condition, and it ain't gonna get any better....:whip:

By the way, I remember reading something about registering the SN of these on the Vintage Knob site, but I wan never able to figure out where to do it. Any suggestions?
 
TA-N7B overhaul is in progress.

Thing is apart in pieces, I hope we can put it back together :p

Both mainboards have been recapped, new pots, rectifier board has been recapped, new cans have been installed. Will probably not have enough time today to finish everything and redo the VFET boards to replace the fusible resistors and the bipolar transistors, and the heatpads.

I have been waiting for months to get this done, so I guess I will just wait a little bit longer now... :drool:

Will post pics later on.
 
Looking forward to your pic's. My TAE-8450 is undergoing a power supply and phono-stage Black Gate recap so it can keep up with the TAN-8550.

Also, can you post a pic of the STR-840? Not familiar with that Sony. Don't think it was sold over here.
 
There ya go. Other pics will be on the way this evening.

STR-840

DSC00322_rs.jpg


DVP-NS725D + Mediacenter

DSC00323_rs.jpg


SLV-900 + DVP-NS900V

DSC00324_rs.jpg


The whole shebang

DSC00325_rs.jpg
 
Sony's naming conventions/schemes are indeed quite elaborate... :D

Here's some pics of a work in progress. The dude is a friend/tech without whose help this would never happen. Excellent skills.

Still need to do all the fusible resistors (30 or so), two resistors on the feedback circuit, replace all the heatpads and solder on the new bipolar transistors. Hopefully we can do that next week, set the balance and bias and test the damned thing :D After screwing it all back together that is...

It's quite a job to figure out how to do things most efficiently, lots of wires and stuff being in the way, not very handy to work on so you lose lots of time figuring things out. Mirko's awesome tips have helped a lot though. Thanks again dude !
 

Attachments

  • DSC00091_rs.jpg
    DSC00091_rs.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00090_rs.jpg
    DSC00090_rs.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00084_rs.jpg
    DSC00084_rs.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00083_rs.jpg
    DSC00083_rs.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00077_rs.jpg
    DSC00077_rs.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC00101_rs.jpg
    DSC00101_rs.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00097_rs.jpg
    DSC00097_rs.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00096_rs.jpg
    DSC00096_rs.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00094_rs.jpg
    DSC00094_rs.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00093_rs.jpg
    DSC00093_rs.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00100_rs.jpg
    DSC00100_rs.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00102_rs.jpg
    DSC00102_rs.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00103_rs.jpg
    DSC00103_rs.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00104_rs.jpg
    DSC00104_rs.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 66
Can't wait to see my own N7B go through the same process as it's been sitting idle until it does - just by security. Finding a french tech able to do that (and willing to) is unfortunately difficult...
 
axel said:
Can't wait to see my own N7B go through the same process as it's been sitting idle until it does - just by security. Finding a french tech able to do that (and willing to) is unfortunately difficult...

I am fortunate to know a person that is meticulous and skilled and can be trusted to work on such a precious amp, as they are not exactly abundant. I have had to wait about three months to get this started but it is well worth it. The rest of the refurb is for next saturday, and then hopefully there will be listening bliss :music:

It is indeed hard to find a tech (I would not really know where to look if my buddy wasn't willing to do this), let alone the cost involved in having a tech do the refurb, which does take quite some time, especially when you have never done that specific model.

Axel, I hope you find someone to overhaul your beast.
 
Back
Top Bottom