• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure M44MG

ejman

Super Member
I found this old cartridge but can't find any information as to tracking force, output, or replacement stylus at the Shure website (The stylus currently on it is rather mangled). Does anybody have any info? thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks for the links OvenMatser. I see the references to the M44G with a Gray stylus Grip. The Cartridge I have is M44MG with a Brown stylus grip. Do you think it's the same?
 

Attachments

  • Shure M44MG.jpg
    Shure M44MG.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 100
Not sure why the cart body says MG, but I'd bet that the brown stylus grip should pretty much correspond to the M44/N44E Brown stylus specs.

Tom
 
The original replacement stylus was N44G. IIRC, the "G" designation stands for conical; eliptical styli from Shure in that era were designated "E".
 
I have a M44MR in my Rock-Ola. This cartridge series was widely used in jukeboxes. I think that yours would use the same needle. I bought a few 4759-D7C styluses on ebay that work on mine. Says that it replaces N44C. Tracking force says it should be between 3 and 5 grams, which seems high, but not sure. Have my tracking force spring set to lowest setting and works fine. I accidentally set it to the highest at first and damaged a few records. Ouch. These are made by PFANSTIEHL of Switzerland. There is also a 4759-D7, but unsure what the difference is between it and the 4759-D7C.
 
Last edited:
Based on the links that OvenMaster provided, it would seem that there is quite a bit of variation in the output level in the different cartridge bodies, the M44E for example going as high as 9.5 mv ( which is actually the highest output on a MM I recall seeing). I don't know if the various styli (Brown, Green, Blue etc) are interchangeable between different cart bodies. If in fact they are and one can find the variations, this may be a good cartridge to use for those "special needs" records.

How is the basic M44 sound? Is it worth it getting some of those Pfanstiehl I see in the auction site?
 
It sounds great. I bought mine from Needledaddy1. They say those that I mentioned above are supposed to replace any of the N-44 series stylus and to disregard the color as they were made in several colors. They also sell another brand called EVG. I would imagine that both brands are quality replacements, but they could probably tell you more.
 
It sounds great. I bought mine from Needledaddy1. They say those that I mentioned above are supposed to replace any of the N-44 series stylus and to disregard the color as they were made in several colors. They also sell another brand called EVG. I would imagine that both brands are quality replacements, but they could probably tell you more.

Thanks, it seems that these stylus track at 3-5 grams and am kind of reluctant to go that high. I wonder if there are any stylus available that track at say 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 grams. Are you aware of any for this cartridge?
 
Love thsi cart!!!

Based on the links that OvenMaster provided, it would seem that there is quite a bit of variation in the output level in the different cartridge bodies, the M44E for example going as high as 9.5 mv ( which is actually the highest output on a MM I recall seeing). I don't know if the various styli (Brown, Green, Blue etc) are interchangeable between different cart bodies. If in fact they are and one can find the variations, this may be a good cartridge to use for those "special needs" records.

How is the basic M44 sound? Is it worth it getting some of those Pfanstiehl I see in the auction site?

I have used the M44 and its brother the M55 on amd off for 40 plus years. I never let one get away. I like the way they sound. Very lively. Good high end. Rich sounding bass. If you have an LP thats a little worn and noisy it seems to run quiet with these carts without loosing the highend. As I post this I have mine running on a Dual 1219. Bought a JILCO stylus for it, its the elliptical one. Came to $35 from Japan. Really sounds nice. I track it at 1 1/2 grams. The stylus I got for the M55 will fit a M44.

If you decide to part with it drop me a line. I'll be glad to take it off your hands:yes:

Eric:music:
 
Thanks, it seems that these stylus track at 3-5 grams and am kind of reluctant to go that high. I wonder if there are any stylus available that track at say 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 grams. Are you aware of any for this cartridge?

Not other than trying an eliptical stylus like stereofisher said. The stylus's that I have are conical, which generally call for higher tracking force than an eliptical stylus. In my jukebox, I'm not sure what the tracking force is. It has a spring on the tonearm and I set it to the lowest setting and works fine. I should get a gauge to check the force.
 
Last edited:
I have used the M44 and its brother the M55 on amd off for 40 plus years. I never let one get away. I like the way they sound. Very lively. Good high end. Rich sounding bass. If you have an LP thats a little worn and noisy it seems to run quiet with these carts without loosing the highend. As I post this I have mine running on a Dual 1219. Bought a JILCO stylus for it, its the elliptical one. Came to $35 from Japan. Really sounds nice. I track it at 1 1/2 grams. The stylus I got for the M55 will fit a M44.

If you decide to part with it drop me a line. I'll be glad to take it off your hands:yes:

Eric:music:

Thanks for the info. I've been running current cartridges like the AT440mla and the Shure M97XE but the other day I tried a Shure M91ed and was surprised at how musical and warm it sounded and that reminded me of the M44. Thanks for the offer. I think I'll try the Jico stylus and see how I like the sound. By the way, I also have a Dual 1219 great table.
 
Scratch Pfanstiehl brand styli, at least for this cart. I bought two of these and they seemed ok at first, until I started realizing that more records were skipping than what seemed normal. I still had the stylus that came with the cart and it does a much better job at staying in the groove. Therefore, I would not recommend this brand, especially for this cartridge. I'm going to try and find a genuine shure for mine.
 
The current production Shure N44 conical "DJ" stylus is a superb choice for vintage mono LPs and, especially, vintage 45s, and it can be set as low as 1.5 grams, so it is gentle on your precious old records. At around $30, it's affordable too.
 
44 was used by a lot of radio DJ's back in the day. Hence the higher tracking forces for 45's.
Conical styli were prevalent.
 
I'm thinking of just replacing my entire cartridge with one of the current production M44-7. For me, mine is in a jukebox so it will be used with 45's.

These 2 Pfanstiehl styli that I bought seemed ok until I really started using them and since I had posted earlier to that effect, I just wanted to clarify that they may not be a good choice. Since, I've also done more research and others seem to clarify that Pfanstiehl has some issues. Many say it is hit and miss with them.
 
Here are the shure specs on the different original styli for M44 series

M44specs.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom