• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shure's M95ED or M97XE ?? With JICO SAS

I have a M97xe on a SL-1200 MK1. It has a real smooth sound. It works well with this model table. For the price it is hard to beat. It gets better the more it is played. Some complain about the hi-end being rolled off, and they have a point but overall sound is really good. It boils down to preference in sound. What do you want to hear? The M97xe is not the brightest sounding cartridge you'll hear but one of the best sounding ones in it price range. Sound quality is subjective. I have about 10 different receivers from the 70's and no two sound the same paired with the same speakers and TT. I have my preference as to which ones I like the most but they are all different. Same goes for cartridges and TT's. It's almost impossible to ever get the perfect setup.
 
Got the SL-23... Cleaned up nicely and stays on speed after I replaced the belt

Got an original headshell coming thanks to an AKer

Ordered a Shure M97xE today. Should have it next week.

I must say it sound very nice with an Ortofon 2m Red on a standard Technics H/S :music:
 
Not a good pic. On my patio and it's dark outside

.
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • SL-23.jpg
    SL-23.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 142
My thinking is now...

Just align the stock M97xE correctly and let it be. IMO, my relative probably can not or will not know the difference with the SAS vs the stock

I hope I dont appear snobbish
 
When he comes back to you and starts talking about IGD, VTA, Baerwald vs Stevensons etc.... then it may be time to consider a SAS!
 
I think that was a great choice. For budding audiophiles who may play records of questionable condition and cleanliness, I couldn't think of a better cartridge. It is forgiving of surface noise, dirt, and scratches, plus the dust is more likely to build up on the brush, than on the stylus tip.
 
Thanks...

Someone save my a Search. What is the recommended Tracking Force for the M97xE with BRUSH DOWN ?
 
She has shoes and and a hat now...

Cleaned the dust cover and installed it

TT had no feet when I got it... I had a set of feet from a Technica AT-PL120 laying around so... I hot glued some #6 Flange Nuts underneath the TT were the stock feet were then screwed the AT-PL120 feet into the nuts

Waiting on the Shure Cart ...

.
 

Attachments

  • 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 46
Waiting on the Shure Cart ...


Got the cart today from B&H Photo. Will install later today

The metal box & packaging + tools must be 1/2 the cost of the cart :yes: Impressive

I wonder how much an OEM M97xE would cost? Does Shure even have OEMs ?
 
Interesting thread with lots of technical information that I haven't considered.
I have a M95ED w/ Jilco (non-SAS) .3x.7 stylus. I find the sound warm and smooth, not super-detailed, but musical and a bit dark. I prefer a more neutral sound with a little more clarity and dynamics, but it is still immensely enjoyable if I stop comparing and just listen.

My set-up if this is affecting the sound.
The cartridge is on a Lafayette T6000 direct drive turntable that has a Jelco SA200 medium mass arm.
The preamp is a Hafler 915 preamp w/ 47Kohm, 220pf MM stage as supplied but user adjustable by changing capacitors according to the manual. As to how much this matters I don't know, but it looks pretty easy to swap out blue caps on front left side.
My 2¢. User input welcome.

turntable shown w/ M91ED
attachment.php


MM/MC phono stage showing user changeable capacitor plug-in
attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Just finished another SL-23 w/M97XE

This SL-23 is near NOS, even has original feet!! Original HS too w/R47XT but no stylus. Dust cover has 2 minor small scratches tho. Got the TT for $65.00 locally. Cleaned and/or lubed pots and motor plus added a new belt. Dead on speed now.

New Cart... So less than 200.00 invested

I believe this will make a 15yo boy happy on his birthday. A relative
 
tnsilver , about your brush - probably a victim of Shure's lax QC

I've bought 2 M97XE over the last 18 months and had to return one for an exchange
 
Back
Top Bottom