• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Similost's Speaker Build - Watch this space for lots of laughs.

I need bigger amps.. these QS's can't keep up with these speakers.. they run out of steam way too fast compared to what the speakers are capable of...

Guess I need to get some done..
I am using the same HF drivers and horns but different LF drivers(JBL 2235H)in one of my sets so I cant comment on what the Lambdas need, BUT I didnt realize what mine could do till I bi-amped mine with a couple MC 2200s and havent looked back since. I would think the more power you put into them the more they will open up.:banana:Theres no way the QS's are doing them justice.
 
So do I really need to work on sealing them up considering the three big holes in the rear? What kind of difference would I expect by sealing them?
I used weather stripping on both the front and rear baffles on the entire edge around each one. Also added blocks to the back where they not installed originally so the only air coming of of the cabinets is through the ports. Did you seals the WG and woof as well?
 
Hmmmmmm - lookie, lookie at what I've got!

Stacked+Frazier+Monte+Carlos+Bozak+B302a+010110.JPG


System+with+Barzilay+Cabinet.jpg


You are really tempting me! However, these Barzilays are loaded with Bozak 302a systems. I will really have to think about this one. Thankfully, I don't have any money at the moment, and I am still having lots of fun with my Klipsch Chorus. However, I am really interested in your Barziwaves! Congratulations, and thanks for the regular updates. It is fun watching you put these together.
 
You just HAD to rub that cabinet in didn't you!?!?!!?!?! I told my wife I'd LOVE to find one... She really likes that a lot... .

I had the 302's in mine... eh... they played music... these now have life.. not even comparable.. I sold my Altecs to help fund these and would do it again in a heart beat..

I guess I will get them sealed up.. No, I didn't seal the guide, but there is a rubber gasket all the way around the woofer, so it's sealed..
 
You just HAD to rub that cabinet in didn't you!?!?!!?!?! I told my wife I'd LOVE to find one... She really likes that a lot... .

:D I checked out Duffinator's Barziwave thread and really dig the JBL legs. I wonder how much my machinist friend would charge to make me 12 and get my cabinets up off of the ground?

I had the 302's in mine... eh... they played music... these now have life.. not even comparable.. I sold my Altecs to help fund these and would do it again in a heart beat..

Yeah, I recall you were underwhelmed by the Bozaks. Did you rework the crossovers before passing final judgment? I haven't reworked mine yet (lack of funds at the moment). Of course, I am sure that no amount of crossover work would bring the Bozaks anywhere near to what you are hearing right now. Your new speakers are so cool.
 
Bozaks can be made to sound pretty good, but you are right, they don't stand a chance to compete with what he has in his cabs. :)
 
Let's just say you mounted your crossover in the bottom of the cabinet on risers and relocated the binding posts to a corner. You could build a sealed rear baffle and mount that PR, couldn't you? I'm just sayin'!
 
Yep, I could do that, and have actually given it some thought.. I"m pretty sure some day I'll eventually do that, but for now I'm pretty happy just getting acquainted with the sound of them as they are..
 
I wish a lot of you could hear these.. I'm sure if many of you could, AE would be busy as hell trying to keep up with all the orders of people ordering their speakers.. They really are something special..

This sure has given me an idea or two of a few things I'd really like to try, like building a three way using one of their 15" and 12" drivers, as bass and mid...

These things really are insane.. some of the cleanest clearest sound I've ever heard. I wish AE would build a horn driver that matched up well with their woofers. If they did, they would have one of the biggest hits out there.. Lambda drivers are needless to say a one of a kind driver... Never heard anything like them..

These speakers would be pretty crazy to put into a night club or similar.. a few cabs built up similar to what I have now, and I would bet it would be the hit of the town just for the fact of the clarity and shear loudness, along with bass. Subs NOT needed at higher volume levels... These speakers really are meant to be played loud to get up into the true potential of them..

I'll wait until a few members from the area can get a chance to hear them, than I'll let them give you all their true thoughts... I know some people may not like the sound, for the fact they are still horn speakers, and some people don't like that, but for those that do, I think they will probably rave about these..

These FAR exceeded my expectations of the quality of sound, the bass, and the loudness they will play super clean...
 
OH... kind of curious if anyone in the DC area has the gear to measure speakers?

I could get everything I need to do it, but I really don't have a clue as to what I would be doing so it would be nice to have someone measure them that knows what they are doing, and so I don't have to drop all the jack for it... but I could easily pay for all the drinking...
 
I'll wait until a few members from the area can get a chance to hear them, than I'll let them give you all their true thoughts... I know some people may not like the sound, for the fact they are still horn speakers, and some people don't like that, but for those that do, I think they will probably rave about these.
Yeah but they don't sound like vintage horns. :no: :no: :no: How many times have you listened to live music in person when they used 1" titanium dome tweeters?
 
I can't wait for you and Todd to hear these David.. They really do put anything I've ever had to shame.. and many many systems I've heard that I was so impressed with...

I just really freaked out.. Listening to Weezer The Sweater Song, and as soon as it started and the guy frist started talking, I whipped my head around because I thought my wife had walked down the stairs and shouted something.. really threw the sound way out away from the speakers... With certain songs and recordings, the imaging is pretty bizarre..
 
Yeah but they don't sound like vintage horns. :no: :no: :no: How many times have you listened to live music in person when they used 1" titanium dome tweeters?

Very true.. but there are some things about the Altec horns I really love, especially those 902's I had...

They do some things that these BMS drivers can't do... These do have a lot better top end than the Altec's, but they just don't have the magic of of replicating horns, flute, guitar and such like the Altecs have.. These have a great top end, but the upper mids on them just aren't magical.. Maybe it's just the coloring of the Altecs I'm missing..

I still think I really need to work on getting another pair of amps done and get these bi-amped so I've got some more control over these horns.. They still seem pretty forward, and like I need to turn them down just a little to match up better with the woofers..
 
Yeah.. it took me a lot of thinking, listening to what others were saying, and thinking of the possibilities in order to sell those...

I think Bowtie was the biggest push.. He had said that the Altec's do some things so great, that you aren't noticing what they don't do well.. and then I really got to listening to them, compared to my JBL's.. I could hear a LOT of holes, then there was the fact of the lack of a certain kind of bass that I was still looking for adn couldn't find..

That got me to thinking that even if I sold them, built these, and didn't like them, I could at least get my money back considering the quality of the parts I was using.. or at least get back enough money to buy another pair of Altecs if I wanted to go back to those..

No way would I go back to Altecs now, I've realized even more what they don't do well after hearing these.. I do wish though I could bring back those magical upper mids that only their horns seem to be able to produce.. Not that I'm not super happy with these, but once you live with the Altecs a while, you do miss the part they do that I've heard no other speaker do..
 
Back
Top Bottom