• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Similost's Speaker Build - Watch this space for lots of laughs.

I hate to brag, but I NAILED these... just crazy...

Listening to some Reggae right now, and the bass is out of this world.. I've heard some speakers with some great bass, but these are over the top bass wise... and mids... and the highs are pretty fantastic too.....

The more volume I add, the better they get... spectacular...

What is surprising Todd?
 
Wow, can't wait to hear them.

Surprising that you need more amp than the QS blocks can provide. What are your Bogens rated at?
 
Those Baby`s look AWESOME!! I can only Imagine your Delight! Cool when you get to hear all the little backgound stuff huh? Detail is where it`s at!! I bet they Image like Crazy too. :thmbsp::music::music::music::banana:
 
WOW.. I kid you not... these things make my 18" Peavey seem like little transistor radio speakers punch wise..
 
My QS's are only about 40w.. my Bogens are 100w.. I need to get a little more work done on them both. May try and do that tomorrow..

What I really need to go is come up with another butt load of money and work on my Strombergs.. 200w..

I think if I had different amps they would image better. I really don't have these mps I'm using now tuned up.. I got mismatched tubes in both of them, and one seems to play a little louder than the other. Moving the balance some helps, but I need to start playing with other amps..
 
Yep Dok.. I'm really happy!!!! You can't imagine.. these speakers are everything I was missing sound wise.. and punch and volume.. They are about 10 times more than I was imagining they were gonna be..

My wife is the one that was so into the cabs. That picture doesn't do them well.. they look a lot better without the flash and all..

It was because she liked the cabs so much that she was willing to let me build what I wanted in them just to keep them to match future furniture..
 
Oh yeah I do... I was just sitting here thinking maybe I should pull out my 1400w Tapco and take these things out to the race track and see what they are really capable of..

I will say though, even with 40 watts they are stupid louder than you want to sit in the room with...
 
My wife agree's.. the more volume you add, the better they sound.

Like I had said earlier, these drivers were meant to play LOUD, and they seem to do their best shining well over 100db..
 
Very very nice Simi!

The Barzilay cabinets don't seal well in the corners of the front baffle and rear panel. Make sure you get in the cabinet and seal up the front baffle. I used wide heavy duty cloth tape to go all around the baffle from the inside. Also use a foam gasket for the rear. See what you can do to add cleats to the rear in the corners to provide a sealing surface. The little extra work will be worth it.

Great job!
 
Very very nice Simi!

The Barzilay cabinets don't seal well in the corners of the front baffle and rear panel. Make sure you get in the cabinet and seal up the front baffle. I used wide heavy duty cloth tape to go all around the baffle from the inside. Also use a foam gasket for the rear. See what you can do to add cleats to the rear in the corners to provide a sealing surface. The little extra work will be worth it.

Great job!

So do I really need to work on sealing them up considering the three big holes in the rear? What kind of difference would I expect by sealing them?
 
Damn Simi. Those are beautiful. You owe your wife a big hug for urging you forward on this project. It's a great feeling when things come together like this. Bravo to you and the Mrs. You got me (and others, I bet) pondering the possibilities at our own homesteads.:scratch2:
 
So do I really need to work on sealing them up considering the three big holes in the rear? What kind of difference would I expect by sealing them?

The three big holes are tuned ports to yield a specific box tunning. Holes in the corners have added area and no real length. This will alter your box tuning. I don't know by how much. Why chance it.
 
I have really been enjoying this thread with my own set of ewaves needing a real home there have been a lot of great ideas! I love the idea of increasing box size by changing the back, mine are only 3.2 cuft and I sure could use an increase.

Fantastic job on those simi!!

Bill
 
Once you hear Lambdas, you won't go back to middle of the road stuff like TAD, Altec, or JBL. :)

The first time I heard lambda woofers, it was with some lambda PB15s, it was the first very low distortion subwoofers I had listened to and I know exactly what James is hearing. It was odd seeing the same SPL readings but having the perception that they were playing much quieter.
 
I need bigger amps.. these QS's can't keep up with these speakers.. they run out of steam way too fast compared to what the speakers are capable of...

Guess I need to get some done..
What 110 dB isn't loud enough? :D

Looking good. I thought you were worrying too much about the bass....I'm sure they rock your house. Congratulations on your new speakers. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom