• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Similost's Speaker Build - Watch this space for lots of laughs.

I really don't want to try the foam...
Good call. The BMS and PT waveguides are several steps above the eWave recommended combo and sound pretty smooth to my ears. Let everything break in and get used to the sound before making any tweaks.
 
They do sound smooth, they just seem to outplay the woofers a little.. not as balanced between the two as I think they should be.. I could be wrong though...
 
If you get 30ppi reticulated foam, you won't be having a severe effect on the output of the horn at all, and it WILL sound better.
 
They do sound smooth, they just seem to outplay the woofers a little.. not as balanced between the two as I think they should be.. I could be wrong though...

I have the same issue with my JBL 2446H's. When designing the crossovers really I had to pad these drivers down to better match my 2214H's.

Great thread and totally awesome looking driver those Lamda's. :D

Yank
 
If you get 30ppi reticulated foam, you won't be having a severe effect on the output of the horn at all, and it WILL sound better.

I just looked up the foam.. I'm not paying damn near $50 or more for a small sheet... I'll live with it for that.. or get out my DCX and a few more amps off the shelf..
 
look at keggers HPM redo on the first page of the e-wave setup.

you don't need a full sheet...

might be able to find some...a small half circle works.

I will be trying the fill the whole horn with foam thing though....even at that price...lol
 
The PT horn would be a real PITA to create out of a foam block or layers. Better you then me. Filling just the throat made a significant difference in the smoothness of kegger's speakers.

Duffinator, for a while, Geddes was selling chunks of it, but it's extremely expensive. I'd certainly be leaning towards layers if I were in your shoes.
 
When I built my eWaves, Kegger came over and with a pair of scissors shapped a block of foam about one inch cubed into round plugs the size of a quarter with a rounded top. Couldn't tell the diff at low volumes but when we cranked it up the music sounded the same just louder. Without the foam, when loud, it started getting shrill.
 
After I looked at some pictures of this stuff, I was trying to think of where I've seen it before.. then I realized, it looks like the larger pre filter that Briggs and Sratton uses, or some other similar engine maker.. maybe it was Honda in some of their horizontal engines.. and maybe that's it.. I'll have to hit home depot and check their filters..
 
I am glad though that I gave someone else the desire to try something different, and at least take a serious look at what Zilch is doing. If you do have the money though, I say take it over the top, because what you will end up with will be beyond every penny you spend. You are also right, the coolest thing about it is... I built them.. and that does give a person a certain pride.. and I believe it also makes you more critical of the sound... Kind of like at artist is so critical of their work, and it's never perfect to them, but they settle.

I highly encourage you to build a pair with what ever you can.

I'll do just that, unless I come across some ridiculous deal on something amazing. I really enjoy DIY, and you're right - it does make one more critical of the end result. So, some derivative of the e-wave (or budget-buster-wave, since all my projects go that way) is officially number 11 on my to-do list (that's behind re-finishing the kitchen cabinets, finishing the conversion of attic space to an additional room (the eventual listening space with no TVs allowed), re-capping the B&O RL140's I picked up this year, finishing out the gigantic living room subwoofer to something presentable, re-tiling the bathroom floor, texturing and painting another bathroom, fixing the cabinets I fixed, ad infinitum, ad nauseum...:sigh:)
 
The PT horn would be a real PITA to create out of a foam block or layers. Better you then me. Filling just the throat made a significant difference in the smoothness of kegger's speakers.

Duffinator, for a while, Geddes was selling chunks of it, but it's extremely expensive. I'd certainly be leaning towards layers if I were in your shoes.

Do you think adding some of that foam into the 811 horns would improve things?
 
Yep. It does good things on good modern and more ideal waveguides horns. It does even better things on older profiles that weren't so ideal.
 
I have watched this thread with great interest, will be undertaking a project in the near future.
Similost, I applaud you for thinking outside the box and shoehorning those lambdas in there.
Mrs Similost, I applaud your tolerance and appreciation of fine music reproduction.
To all the contributers, who gave advice and help to Similost, you also get a round of applause.
And finally, a standing ovation for the finished result.
I only wish that I was closer to get to hear these monsters.
Cheers, Timo.
 
Thanks Tim.

Not sure if you've seen it, but dnewma is doing a build right now with a same pair of woofers. He's building his boxes though, and they are looking pretty kickass already.

I'd really like to hear his though, because he's using a box sixe that is more appropriate, about a foot bigger.
 
Huh... Here's a blast from the past... (thanks djnagel for pointing to the ewave builder list today)

I was wondering, is @dnewma still around? If so, did you get yours finished Dave? Do you still have them?

I still listen to mine all the time. They are my "till the end of time" speakers... Only speakers I've really bought since these have been PA subs for the shop... I don't turn on the stereo near as much as I used to, so every time I do, it's almost like a new discovery and the smile just keeps growing as I listen.
 
Rarely ever here anymore, but I have had a couple of ewaves over the years. None ever replaced the Unity's or the version with the big 18sound horns.
 
Rarely ever here anymore, but I have had a couple of ewaves over the years. None ever replaced the Unity's or the version with the big 18sound horns.

Hey Dave! Good to see you. Yeah, I only recently dropped back in... Just wondered if you still had those TD drivers or not... Can't bring myself to ever part with mine..

If I could afford some Unity's, that would be the only thing that would replace these Lambda drivers... Tom sure knows how to build some seriously good parts and speakers!
 
Back
Top Bottom