• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sir.Byrd's 2226H based super speaker project

The crossover (specifically the zobel circuit) calls for a 100W resistor, so I ordered a couple metal 50W resistors, which are supposed to be mounted on a heatsink. So after much debate we got these two heatsinks for free although they are really overkill for 100W because these will likely never see 100W.
 
Hey Byrd, Your getting close so I thought that I would add this. You may be happy with how things are sounding right from the get go but you also may not be.

Speaking from past experience and in regard to your 2226's, you are probably going to have to run those in for a spell (and then some) to get them to come around to their potential.

Beside being new more or less, they have just sat not making music for quite some time. If you ran them through woofer tester today and after some good break in time, I believe you would be quite surprised by the differences in the parameters readings.

The biggest reason why I'm bringing this up is because you may have a huge temptation to "fiddle" with the x-over initially. I've gone through this more than once trying to fix something that sounds "off" only to return back to close to where I started after things settled down a bit.

You may be good but if your feeling like something is "off", my advice (for what it's worth) would be not to over analyze, temper your immediate expectations a bit and hold off doing anything before you give them ample run in time :thmbsp:

RC
 
Hey Byrd, Your getting close so I thought that I would add this. You may be happy with how things are sounding right from the get go but you also may not be.

Speaking from past experience and in regard to your 2226's, you are probably going to have to run those in for a spell (and then some) to get them to come around to their potential.

Beside being new more or less, they have just sat not making music for quite some time. If you ran them through woofer tester today and after some good break in time, I believe you would be quite surprised by the differences in the parameters readings.

The biggest reason why I'm bringing this up is because you may have a huge temptation to "fiddle" with the x-over initially. I've gone through this more than once trying to fix something that sounds "off" only to return back to close to where I started after things settled down a bit.

You may be good but if your feeling like something is "off", my advice (for what it's worth) would be not to over analyze, temper your immediate expectations a bit and hold off doing anything before you give them ample run in time :thmbsp:

RC

Thanks!
I just had this discussion with my friend yesterday, saying we should give the some good listening time before we make any changes to the crossover.
 
Hey Byrd, Your getting close so I thought that I would add this. You may be happy with how things are sounding right from the get go but you also may not be.

Speaking from past experience and in regard to your 2226's, you are probably going to have to run those in for a spell (and then some) to get them to come around to their potential.

Beside being new more or less, they have just sat not making music for quite some time. If you ran them through woofer tester today and after some good break in time, I believe you would be quite surprised by the differences in the parameters readings.

The biggest reason why I'm bringing this up is because you may have a huge temptation to "fiddle" with the x-over initially. I've gone through this more than once trying to fix something that sounds "off" only to return back to close to where I started after things settled down a bit.

You may be good but if your feeling like something is "off", my advice (for what it's worth) would be not to over analyze, temper your immediate expectations a bit and hold off doing anything before you give them ample run in time :thmbsp:

RC

On the other hand, he might get blown out on how good they f-ing sound right out of the blocks. I think they might have potential to sound great right away. But I her ya, the futzing virus is known to occur with builders.
 
On the other hand, he might get blown out on how good they f-ing sound right out of the blocks. I think they might have potential to sound great right away. But I her ya, the futzing virus is known to occur with builders.

They very well could be. If thats the case, you just can't let that tweaking itch overpower letting a good thing be ;)

RC
 
I'm thinking the Fs of the woofers will be higher initially, due to the longterm storage.


Yup. Also, without a L-pad incorporated into the crossover, you don't have a way to back off the level of the horn right now without going in.

I'm looking forward to the report :yes:

RC
 
Baffles being finished... clear oil, they look very nice!
IMG_4013_3.jpg

IMG_4012_3.jpg

IMG_4010_3.jpg
 
Final build day is tomorrow. We will be attaching the baffles and mounting all of the components, then bringing them back to the house with the D150A for a test run.
 
Final build day is tomorrow. We will be attaching the baffles and mounting all of the components, then bringing them back to the house with the D150A for a test run.

hey it's 5am, are you up yet? We are all waiting....
 
Come on, tic-toc. We're living vicariously through you now. Don't disappoint us! :D

Seriously, though. I hope they sound great. Take your time.
 
Audiokarma was down all day... and that's not the only thing that was down. We had to stick them half out of the back of the car, and one fell out on the way home!
 
Back
Top Bottom