The start position is adjustable but it's a little weird and difficult to figure out (but easy to do once you have. If you haven't already, visit the vinylengine site and register (free), go to the "Library" page and find Technics. When you're on the Technics page of the Library, go to SL-1600 under Direct Drive Turntables and look for the download for mkII M/MC service manual (improved scan)". Download the service manual by clicking on the blue hypertext, also free, and then study the section covering tonearm adjustment on page 15, (not page 8).
John
Hey John.
I have already adjusted the start position from outside. There is a hole underneath a rubber plug. And there's a screw to adjust the start position. When I got the table back from service it always started playback a bit in of the first song of the disc. After some adjustment on this screw I got I to start right
But I still starts a little to far on discs sometimes and sometimes to far out on the disc so the are nearly drops beside the platter. That's why I hope the gear change will help here.
I thought that new grease is needed but is there a special grease to this king of plastic gear?