• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Snare drums!

^^^

Great snare sound. Gretsch?

I can't do much modal/free jazz. I used to be able to, but these days I'd rather explore classical.
 
You like the sound of DW snares, Vlad? Check out some Chad Wackerman...

https://mog.com/m#album/38151137

Wackerman has been Holdsworth's go to for years and his solo stuff is excellent as well (with Holdsworth usually handling six string duties). Wackerman's drums are almost always extremely well recorded and serve as some of my most used system test material.

Oh crap....just occurred to me you may not get MOG over there. Try this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdD98R-Al0
 
Seen Krupa mentioned, but nothing of Buddy Rich. Wow. Guess that makes me the old guy here? I have to admit, even though I'm a former drummer, and positively enjoy Krupa and Rich, I never really got into "drum" albums. Only knew one person, 40 years ago, who did and we didn't spend a great deal of time listening, just comparing the skills of the two we could relate to.
 
Seen Krupa mentioned, but nothing of Buddy Rich. Wow. Guess that makes me the old guy here? I have to admit, even though I'm a former drummer, and positively enjoy Krupa and Rich, I never really got into "drum" albums. Only knew one person, 40 years ago, who did and we didn't spend a great deal of time listening, just comparing the skills of the two we could relate to.
Here's a clip I found. Take note, he's 65.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22XbdIIhhXw
 
Seen Krupa mentioned, but nothing of Buddy Rich. Wow. Guess that makes me the old guy here? I have to admit, even though I'm a former drummer, and positively enjoy Krupa and Rich, I never really got into "drum" albums. Only knew one person, 40 years ago, who did and we didn't spend a great deal of time listening, just comparing the skills of the two we could relate to.

I don't think anyone is dismissing Rich as a stellar drummer, but the spirit of the thread is great sounding snares and speakers that bring them out. Buddy was back and forth between Ludwig and Slingerland and I think Rogers before that and no doubt there are probably some great sounding recordings of Buddy givin' hell to Radio Kings, Suprphonics and Dynasonics. On my "need to discover" list.
 
I don't think anyone is dismissing Rich as a stellar drummer, but the spirit of the thread is great sounding snares and speakers that bring them out. Buddy was back and forth between Ludwig and Slingerland and I think Rogers before that and no doubt there are probably some great sounding recordings of Buddy givin' hell to Radio Kings, Suprphonics and Dynasonics. On my "need to discover" list.
Wasn't implying dismissed, was thinking more my age showing. :D
 
Seen Krupa mentioned, but nothing of Buddy Rich. Wow. Guess that makes me the old guy here? I have to admit, even though I'm a former drummer, and positively enjoy Krupa and Rich, I never really got into "drum" albums. Only knew one person, 40 years ago, who did and we didn't spend a great deal of time listening, just comparing the skills of the two we could relate to.

I was looking for Buddy Rich to be mentioned. If you want to test speakers to reproduce percussion, THAT would be my standard.
 
I like any of Dire Straits big hits for snare drum, I use their greatest hits CD to test alot of speakers. Hearing a correct sounding snare drum is what I look for in judging any speaker first, then I move on to the rest of the sound spectrum. :yes:
 
my dumpster-rescue Marantz HD66's and Dire Straits On Every Street with that great instrumental finish followed by Steve Gadd...My Father's Eyes (Clapton-Pilgrim).
 
I have listend to a lot of the stuff listed above. my epicure 3.0's are my mains and only speaker right. had them for a long time and probably be my mains till I die. and they excellent job at the songs listed above and more. im not even running 1sub and it feels like thee is a drum kit here in my living room. im sure there are others with this kind of experience and passion for their speakers.
 
I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and say I find poly cone woofers are great at drum sounds. I have 4 10's in my primary speakers and I sometimes feel like I'm getting beat up. Elton Johns "Captain Fantastic" has some great drum sounds in it, and I find the polys rule on this one.

I have to agree with others on the Billy Cobham, I just need to break down and find him on vinyl. My current digital sources ain't cuttin' it.
 
Steve Gadd has one of the driest snare drum sounds in the industry. It would be my opinion that Gadd is one of the few who can make a dry snare drum sound interesting. It works for his technique....which very, very few can copy.
 
I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and say I find poly cone woofers are great at drum sounds. I have 4 10's in my primary speakers and I sometimes feel like I'm getting beat up. Elton Johns "Captain Fantastic" has some great drum sounds in it, and I find the polys rule on this one.

My go-to copy for that album is the Japanese-pressed MCA CD from the '80's. One of the best-sounding and most-dynamic CD's I own. Sounds incredible through my W90's when those electric guitars kick in (Great congas on that recording).

Most recorded.... probably Jeff Porcaro.

My faves;

Steve Gadd - particularly "Aja", Steely Dan
David Garibaldi - so light and effortless.
Bonham. Always though of as beating the crap out of a trap set, but actually could have a very delicate touch. Fool in The Rain, yes!

As far as speakers: They have to have to be very rounded. My favorites that I OWN right now are Timeframe 600's. The best I ever heard was Infinity Kappa 9's.

As far as speakers go, a good snare needs a good leading-edge, plus good mids, coherent highs, and a well-controlled upper-bass. These things are essential. My W90's do a good snare most of the time. Stuff like James Brown/the J.B.s/etc. And there's a ton of funk, jazz, and jazz-fusion with great snare sounds. And then you have your late '80's/early '90's "processed" snare (which morphed into the modern hard-rock snare as we know it now) as well as your Austin blues-type snare and all the other Texas sounds. And there's the Steely Dan "studio" snare sound. So many to choose from. I'm fond of the old funksters like Zig Modeliste (the Meters) and David Garibaldi, among many others.

Honorable mention for Verve session ace Grady Tate. Remarkable rim/high-hat work, and just a funky, groovy drummer in general. He worked on the Schoolhouse Rock sessions in the '70's, and I know he sings the lead vocal on at least one song.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom