• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Snare drums!

Stewart Copeland,
soundtrack to the film "Rumblefish"

I have this on CD AND vinyl. Great soundtrack. I assume Copeland plays all the guitar on that, but it sure has an Andy Summers sound to it.

I figure Lemmy's probably a teddy bear with little kids and would probably not do too-bad a job with it (He's kind of the Tom Waits of old-school metal if you ask me :D ).

I do a lot of lower-volume listening, and one of my W90's biggest strengths is that dynamic 'snap' to the snare drum at low volumes. Very-natural-sounding. That and congas/bongos. They do the percussion thing very-well. That's where those dual mid-woofers/tweeters come in handy (And horn sections panned to the outer-right/left are especially-good because they take advantage of those outer left/right mid-woofer/tweeter pairs the same way percussion does... And anything panned to the inner-left/right/middle is handled by the inner mid/tweeter pairs).

But anyway, I'll throw in another 'snare-friendly' album... Jerry Garcia/Merl Saunders' "Live At The Keystone" (It was released over 3 CD's... Vol. 1, Vol. iI, And Encores... I think it might be out of print at this point... It was on the Fantasy label). Drummer Bill Vitt had one of the greatest snares I've ever heard, and anyone who's listened to "Merl's Tune" will surely agree.
 
Last edited:
The JBL crowd is especially proud on the 128-H woofer doing better snare drums then any other monkey coffin speaker ever made.

Any truth to this?

The 108h is imho a tad better/faster at the snare. It's what separates a 240ti from a 250ti and you can hear the difference with drums more than anything else.

Having just heard Keith Carlock live with the Steely Dan touring band, I have a new favorite drummer. And MAN does he like the snare :-).

jblnut
 
I've been listening to Aaron Diehl (piano) and the drummer is a gent named Rodney Green. Very understated and delicate in a way but VERY important part of the group. His snare jumps out at you the right times.

Song is Moonlight in Vermont, album is Aaron Diehl, Bespoke Man's Narrative.

Very nice.
 
The 108h is imho a tad better/faster at the snare. It's what separates a 240ti from a 250ti and you can hear the difference with drums more than anything else.

Having just heard Keith Carlock live with the Steely Dan touring band, I have a new favorite drummer. And MAN does he like the snare :-).

jblnut

Yeah, Carlock is one of my favorites among the newer breed of session pros. He's got great TONE, and that's an essential part of it in my opinion (Lots of guys out there who have the technique, but not the tone).

I like a drummer with lots of personality, like Stevie Wonder. He's one of my favorites for that reason. His drumming is easily-identifiable (especially his snare/high hat work, like on "Superstition"). A lot of people don't even realize he PLAYED drums. Keith Moon had loads of personality as well, as did John Bonham. It's not all about technique. Technique won't set someone apart from other drummers (Not at the professional level). That's where things like tone, personality, taste, focus, refinement, restraint, etc. come into play, and Keith Carlock definitely has all of those things (and that's what it takes to get a gig like that... I love that backup singer they had... the one in the center... She is hotter than a steel mill in the summertime... She's hotter than nuclear fusion).
 
What do you mean by "tone", Gang? I don't think I've ever heard that descriptor applied to a drummer's playing style or touch on the kit. I've heard "tone" applied to the kit itself as in "his toms/snare/bass drum have great tone" and have heard it applied to guitarists and other melodic instrumentalists for a signature sound they produce on their instrument, but that's definitely the first time I've ever heard it used for a drummer's playing. If you're talking about the element that is opposite of technique then I guess you just refer to "soul" as "tone". No biggie, just curious. I've heard weirder stuff. Hell, I've heard weirder stuff from you.

Agreed on the white girl. Is that the same girl as the skinny brunette on the Two Against Nature DVD?
 
Last edited:
I've heard weirder stuff. Hell, I've heard weirder stuff from you.

:lmao:

What I mean is, the tone in his HANDS (Well, his feet too, I guess). It's the same thing as with guitar-players. Looser, lighter, sloppier, whatever.

That's what determines a player's individuality/personality.
 
:lmao:

What I mean is, the tone in his HANDS (Well, his feet too, I guess). It's the same thing as with guitar-players. Looser, lighter, sloppier, whatever. That's what determines a player's individuality/personality.

Ok. We drummers call that "touch" or "approach".

But, of course, we're not actually musicians so what do we know.
 
How he holds the stick.

There, I helped.

Nice...

Yeah, I'm self-taught, and pretty-unorthodox at that, so I don't know a lot of the terms that you music school guys do ( ;) ). I mean, I can play, but I couldn't explain to someone WHAT I play. Don't know how to sight-read, and I couldn't tell you what terms like "mixolydian", dorian", "blah blah blah" mean and chords like Ebsus9 or BMaj7th, but people bring it up all the time because they hear that stuff in my playing. I just couldn't tell you WHERE.

But this is why I've always concentrated heavily on tone. Without good tone (in the gear AND the hands....... and feet ;) ), you might as well phone it in with a beat box or something.

DONK... TFFF... DONK-DONK... TFFF...
 
Last edited:
Elvin Jones - possibly in the top 5 greatest drummers in Jazz. At the same time the most horribly recorded drummer in jazz, as if who give a $hit about the drummer, lets leave one mic and no worries about clipping.

Sad. Terrible.
 
Back
Top Bottom