• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sobriety, something new for me...

I see a new system in your future, if it hasn't arrived yet, a renewed interest and attention span to dedicate to your love of audio (otherwise you wouldn't be here at all), and a new-found appreciation for a clear outlook at life and all it has to offer. Stay focused, clear, and concentrated on the upside; no more sick morning-afters, better punctuality, and improved, renewed relationships with people who wrote you off at the peak of your illness. Good luck and continued success, once again.
 
I have been an "Alcoholic" for 25+ years ! Addiction is a personal thing , everyone has his or her "addictions" ! I say "Alcoholic" as I have drank heavily since I was 16 years old , and by heavily I mean ; at one point , I was drinking a "Fifth " a night , I got up to leaving 1 inch in the bottom of the second one ! Nightly ! I have stopped 3 times , I refuse to say "QUIT" as I have not ! Currently I drink 8-12 beers 3 times a week , usually Monday night through Thursday night . My "stoppages" have been for about a year, to a year and a half . After my first marriage , I discovered "Cocaine" ! Now , that is an addiction ! At my lowest point , I found myself in the back of my work van , at 6 am , all of my tools gone "to the pawn shop" , no cash , no food , and SICK !
I had a $350.00 a day habit ! I could not support .
I looked around and thought about my situation and realized , There was no-one to blame , but me, and the only one who could pull me out of it was ME !!!!!
I no longer do Cocaine !
I know that is a little Off-Subject ! but like I said , addiction is a personal thing !
I have 2 dead cousins , from drugs mostly , But it is all the same ! You have to learn to control "The Beast" !
I will always be a Cocaine addict ! But I choose not to do it !!!
It is the same with alcohol !
You can never "QUIT" ! You can only , STOP !
I like to think I have my alcohol addiction under "control" but as you have read , I DON"T !!!!
I try to manage it !
I wish you all the luck in the world ! It is all up to you ! People can say "You need support" and "Your family can help" ! But , that is BULLSHIT !
The only one who can help "YOU" is "YOU" !!!!!!!!!!
This will probably piss everyone here off at me , SORRY !
I HAVE BEEN THERE !!! Hell, I am still there to a certain point ! I just know it is only you that can change your behavior !


ibdplummer, I happen to agree with you to a large extent.

Support from like-minded individuals, friends and family is great but only part of the equation. The decision is stay sober has to first and foremost be a selfish one. If you start off without the notion that you are doing it for the others around you, all the support in the world may not save you from yourself or keep you sober IMO.

The work to become sober needs to start with "you" and although it figures into the puzzle, doing so for just for wife/husband or family can set you up for failure. Overcoming addiction of any kind is a tough hoe regardless and it needs to start with self.

When you hear addicts saying that they quit because they were "Sick and tired of being sick and tired, the successful ones are first referring to self first and not how it effects the people around them.


By the way, I don't believe in "slips" as most define them. A slip implies that it was an accident or it just snuck up on a person. This is bullshit IMO and really believe we knowingly or unknowingly set the table for them ourselves.

______________________________


Mister Tawny, keep fighting the good fight. No part of this is easy and I’m really proud of the work that you have put in to change who you are as a person. :yes:

There were many years for me that I just had to walk away from acquaintances or situational events that I associated with drinking. In doing so I actually discovered a whole new world out there that wasn't so cocktail focused. Being around it now a day doesn't bother me in the least but it sure helped to stay away when I started my journey.

I have no issues what so ever with people that drink and wish that I could enjoy a good beer without wanting a dozen more but I can’t so I don’t plain and simple, period. No excuses, no exceptions.

See, it’s just all about me ;)


RC
 
Last edited:
A heads up for everyone, still sober and only a month to go for the first year. It does get easier and outside of not going to trivia at bars it hasn't really impacted me nowadays. Thanks for all the good wishes and help. I can't tell you how much it's meant to me.
 
Keep it up. Take it day to day, or by the hour if needed. It gave me a hell of time. I am now eight years sober.
 
Hey Ed, that reply was posted last November 2010, so it's actually August 16, 1984. Been awhile anyway..... :D

Wow, I just thought about it, and I'll be coming up on 10,000 days here pretty quick.



Retro

Ha, that's funny. I was inwardly crowing about having a leeetle bit longer sobriety (July 15, 1985). Guess I better do my own inventory...for a change. :D Congrats Greg, that's a huge accomplishment. :thmbsp:
 
Ha, that's funny. I was inwardly crowing about having a leeetle bit longer sobriety (July 15, 1985). Guess I better do my own inventory...for a change. :D Congrats Greg, that's a huge accomplishment. :thmbsp:

Not to worry Ed, 26+ years is nothing to sneeze at and congratulations yourself!

A lot of the local AA "old-timers" that had 20+ years in when I sobered up, have all passed now and I miss them dearly. Those guys help save my life and were the originators of "pay it forward!" I was fortunate enough to realize that alcohol & drugs were killing me and my relationships at the ripe old age of 26. Because of those "old-timers", if anybody ever asks me for help, they'll get it!



Retro
 
Back
Top Bottom