• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Some science to consider

tom67

Well-Known Member
Turntable.jpg

that's interesting from a different perspective: Earth rotation. in theory the equator goes way faster than, lets say, Alaska. the 'speed' DIFFERENCE can be 600mph between countries, even within America. think about it. do you feel a speed difference between 30mph and 100mph when driving a car?
 
Register to hide this ad
Related:

On average, how many grooves are on one side of a 12 inch LP record (plus or minus 20)?
 
And back in my record buying days this is the reason why I was not happy when the best song on an album was the last track, with the narrowest frequency bandwidth, lowest fidelity and wears the fastest!
1f641.png
 
This isn't taken into account most times when people lift a vehicle and run taller tires. Not only does it throw your speedometer out of wack, it messes with the gear ratio. Luckily when I did this with my Jeep, it already had 410:1 gears in the pumpkins. So I didn't loose much. But I did have to do some math when I replaced the plastic gear in the side of the transfer case to get the speedometer to read right.
 
there is at least one record with two.

I gave this question to some engineering students in college at a trivia contest and they immediately went into over thinking it -

"33.3 rpm for 18 minutes means it rotates this many times so..."
 
That is why records are rated at RPM. Tape, on the other hand. is IPS. Both give a constant speed, but the real estate on vinyl gets smaller and smaller as it moves into the inner circles, it becomes compressed.
 
do you feel a speed difference between 30mph and 100mph when driving a car?

Not the same thing. Where the earth goes faster/slower, everything in that location goes faster/slower by the same amount (maybe an exception up in the jetstream). When a car and what's in it go faster/slower, only the car goes faster slower and everything changes around it and you sense the changes.
 
v=rω : records & tapes

v=rω sinθ: Earth, where θ is latitude
So your linear veloc at equator is 464m/s and zero at the poles (you are doing a pirouette).

ω is constant for the Earth and record situations.
 
Last edited:
Does there have to be appoint? Just an attempt to engage in some interesting conversation. There are millions of comments on this site about music and that’s what it’s all about. Most of them are subjective and don’t have a specific point to make. I guess I could ask what’s your point in asking?
Relax pal,I'm asking a question not trying to make a point.I thought you were heading toward some flat Earth bullshit.
 
v=rω : records & tapes

v=rω sinθ: Earth, where θ is latitude
So your linear veloc at equator is 464m/s and zero at the poles (you are doing a pirouette).

ω is constant for the Earth and record situations.
Does that mean that those standing at the north or south pole get dizzy from spinning? :jump::jump:
 
The average LP has about 1,500 feet (460 m; 0.28 mi) of groove on each side. The average tangential needle speed relative to the disc surface is approximately 1 mile per hour (1.6 km/h; 0.45 m/s). It travels fastest on the outside edge.
 
Back
Top Bottom