• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony 2251 and/or 2250 owners thread

The PS-2400 should also qualify for this thread:

I've also always been interested in the product # for the tonearm on it. It's really nice and quite similar to some of the other Sony models but I have never found an exact match.


Sony PS-2400 14 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Andrew,

Maybe be a Sony PUA -114, Google the image and compare. :scratch2:
 
Anyone hat their strobe light go out?
If so, could you identify the fix? I took it to my local shop & they indicated it was not the lamp.

My thanks,
Paul
 
I had one of those. The Power light always reminded me of the HAL 9000 in 2001, A Space Odyssey. Check the motor mounts. Mine had decomposed.

John
 
Will do John, as soon as I`ve had it warmed up a bit moore. Loooks like it has a speed-problem now (only two hours play), too fast right now so I`ll let it turn for a time tro see if it cools down or needs a rebuild. Wery good sounding player and a good match for my Audion Premier phono stage


Btw; I came to realise that it is your pics I`ve stolen, only good PS1800A-pics I could find
 
Last edited:
The motor in those is a huge low speed one, vert tough and reliable. Your speed issue could be caused be the wrong belt or rubber build-up on the capstan. If the speed is too fast by a lot, it could be that the table is fitted with the 50 Hz capstan.
 
Found speed-pots on the control-bos underneath, one for each speed so it`s fixed! Had some enegine-oil on the spindle while it was out, was a bit dry. David Lindley and El Rayo-X are testing it out right now.
Will sheck if I`m able to wake up this auto(?)return function

Btw; I just sold a TTS-3000 drive to rise cash for this smaller brother, impressing drive but even this one has quite a bit of the same quality, like this legendary motor.
 
Last edited:
Managed to activate & adjust the auto-return and made up some new rubber for the motor-mounts. Had a spare-belt for the TTS-3000, just what the PS1800A needed!

The close to 50 year old Sony is looking fresh now and sounding good too! The Sony-arm is a surpricingly good tracker, think I`ll skip my upgrade-plans for it, just a re-wiring. Will keep the stock wiring, just lay some cardas or something outside the arm for a test.
 
Back in the 1980's I "employee accommodated" a Sony PS-2251LA and a Grace 707 tonearm at the HIFI shop I worked at (Apple Tree Stereo Rockford Il.). I used it until
the compact disc took over vinyl. I put it on the used shelf, and sold it. Many years later I got the vinyl bug again, and asked our home theater installer Steve (Columbia Audio/Video)
to keep an eye out for a turntable I could buy. He called me from a yard sale and said " there is a turntable here with your name on it" It was my original PS-2251LA and Grace arm
still in the box, just as I had sold it. The guy recognized me, and said I could have it back if I repaired his Denon A/V receiver. I still have it in use today.
 
Does anybody know what size the Narrow Head Knurled Thumb Screw on the PS-2500 Counterweight is?

I bought my 2500 on eBay a few decades ago. I am just now starting to restore it. The guy I bought it from failed to mention that the thumbscrew for the counterweight was missing. He used an ugly nylon screw. I'm trying to find an identical replacement to the original, but have no way to measure the threads ECT.

Thanks!

By the way. I measured the wow and speed accuracy with an Android RPM and wow app. Speed is right on the money and only drifts by 0.03 rpm. Wow is 0.03%. My 2251 is not quite as good, but still great at a wow of 0.07%.

These old Sony's put current day turntables to shame.
 
Does anybody know what size the Narrow Head Knurled Thumb Screw on the PS-2500 Counterweight is?

I bought my 2500 on eBay a few decades ago. I am just now starting to restore it. The guy I bought it from failed to mention that the thumbscrew for the counterweight was missing. He used an ugly nylon screw. I'm trying to find an identical replacement to the original, but have no way to measure the threads ECT.

Thanks!

By the way. I measured the wow and speed accuracy with an Android RPM and wow app. Speed is right on the money and only drifts by 0.03 rpm. Wow is 0.03%. My 2251 is not quite as good, but still great at a wow of 0.07%.

These old Sony's put current day turntables to shame.

It's a small world eh?

I have had that happen where I sold a guy an apple powermac G4 from my house, and then bought it back from the same guy at his house a couple of years later. Sony is such a funny company, brilliance and innovation and mediocrity in one brand.
 
I could have been part of this group but I let a friend get a CL deal I told him to buy. Big Mistake.
I had a TA-2000 preamp as a kid bought with paper route money back in 1970. Out of the box it had a meter that was at half scale and after the first warranty repair there was a hum in phono. Second warranty service fixed that. Great preamp for the rest of the time I owned it. Got a Dynaco amp to go with it and a Kenwood tuner so did not have the opportunity to enjoy the power amp and tuner that might have gone with this preamp.

Anyway, a CL listing years ago was for a set of this Sony junk with a missing channel on the amp and I told Chip to buy it. We went together a few miles from my crib to pick it up. I think the ad was for the electronics only, no tt or cassette listed, IIRC.

TA-2000F preamp...In the walnut cabinet, an option
TA-3200F power amp...In the walnut cabinet, an option
ST-5130 tuner...In the walnut cabinet, an option
TC-203SD cassette...In the walnut cabinet (came with the unit)
PS-2251 turntable...In the walnut base, I forget what nail was attached.

Boxes for the first three units and manuals for at least those three.

All this for the low, low price of two hundred twenty-five dollars. Yes, you read that right. Now you see why I say Big Mistake. I don't know if I would have used the stuff much, I have other gear. I started by spending 7 hours making the tuner look new again. Then I recapped the preamp and finally I fixed the power amp, it was a broken leg on one transistor, repaired that and got a replacement, if needed.

Now it was finally the PS-2251's turn to visit. I cleaned and lubed it and got it set up and running right, replacing that huge neon lamp (burned out) with one or two small ones while lining the cavity with aluminum foil for more light from these new low output neon lamps. This worked to allow the strobe to be seen.

Chip was going to wall mount this rig on hidden mount boards in the living room, a modern looking space with rebuild Magneplanar MG-IIc and Wharfedale W-70s of some letter suffix. I need to see if that is done, yet. He has been busy adding an out building with lift and half loft for some stereo gear, Crown PSA-2 at 275wpc and Bose 901 V hung from the ceiling. That is a rocking out building.

Since I was close to owning this rig, with one of the tables in the title of the thread, I thought I would post some pics of the table.

Let's make this a longer thread with full sized pics.
No full table pic but here is the table without the arm, platter, dust cover and such.
Drive in Base Sans Tonearm.jpg

Here is the drive unit removed from the base

Drive Top side.jpg
Here is the drive unit underside with covers and without covers

Drive.jpg

Drive covers off.jpg

And a close up of the electronics on the circuit board...probably ought to recap that soon.

Electronics.jpg

Here is a pic of one section of the base showing the suspension system and the slotted-end bolt that is used to lock in in place, most impressive.

Suspension.jpg

And finally, the tonearm, PAU-114 I think, not going to look it up again, sitting on its armboard with other arms on Thorens TD-125 armboards. I really need to talk Chip into installing a nice tonearm on his PS-2251.

Arms.jpg
Yes just cut a hole in the Digikey box for the underpinnings of the tonearm and they rest nicely on the box on top of the Reel to Reel/dbx unit. I've got a Magnepan arm that would do nicely on the PS-2251, tonearm on the right above. Everyone knows the SME 3009/S2 Improved.

This is one heck of a turntable. The direct drive equal of the TD-125, I'd guess. Be nice to listen to the two of them with the same arm and cartridge to hear the different presentations and try to decide which is the keeper...Well with two phono inputs...why not both?
 
I could have been part of this group but I let a friend get a CL deal I told him to buy. Big Mistake.
I had a TA-2000 preamp as a kid bought with paper route money back in 1970. Out of the box it had a meter that was at half scale and after the first warranty repair there was a hum in phono. Second warranty service fixed that. Great preamp for the rest of the time I owned it. Got a Dynaco amp to go with it and a Kenwood tuner so did not have the opportunity to enjoy the power amp and tuner that might have gone with this preamp.

Anyway, a CL listing years ago was for a set of this Sony junk with a missing channel on the amp and I told Chip to buy it. We went together a few miles from my crib to pick it up. I think the ad was for the electronics only, no tt or cassette listed, IIRC.

TA-2000F preamp...In the walnut cabinet, an option
TA-3200F power amp...In the walnut cabinet, an option
ST-5130 tuner...In the walnut cabinet, an option
TC-203SD cassette...In the walnut cabinet (came with the unit)
PS-2251 turntable...In the walnut base, I forget what nail was attached.

Boxes for the first three units and manuals for at least those three.

All this for the low, low price of two hundred twenty-five dollars. Yes, you read that right. Now you see why I say Big Mistake. I don't know if I would have used the stuff much, I have other gear. I started by spending 7 hours making the tuner look new again. Then I recapped the preamp and finally I fixed the power amp, it was a broken leg on one transistor, repaired that and got a replacement, if needed.

Now it was finally the PS-2251's turn to visit. I cleaned and lubed it and got it set up and running right, replacing that huge neon lamp (burned out) with one or two small ones while lining the cavity with aluminum foil for more light from these new low output neon lamps. This worked to allow the strobe to be seen.

Chip was going to wall mount this rig on hidden mount boards in the living room, a modern looking space with rebuild Magneplanar MG-IIc and Wharfedale W-70s of some letter suffix. I need to see if that is done, yet. He has been busy adding an out building with lift and half loft for some stereo gear, Crown PSA-2 at 275wpc and Bose 901 V hung from the ceiling. That is a rocking out building.

Since I was close to owning this rig, with one of the tables in the title of the thread, I thought I would post some pics of the table.

Let's make this a longer thread with full sized pics.
No full table pic but here is the table without the arm, platter, dust cover and such.

Boxes for the first three units and manuals for at least those three.

All this for the low, low price of two hundred twenty-five dollars. Yes, you read that right. Now you see why I say Big Mistake. I don't know if I would have used the stuff much, I have other gear. I started by spending 7 hours making the tuner look new again. Then I recapped the preamp and finally I fixed the power amp, it was a broken leg on one transistor, repaired that and got a replacement, if needed.

Now it was finally the PS-2251's turn to visit. I cleaned and lubed it and got it set up and running right, replacing that huge neon lamp (burned out) with one or two small ones while lining the cavity with aluminum foil for more light from these new low output neon lamps. This worked to allow the strobe to be seen.

Chip was going to wall mount this rig on hidden mount boards in the living room, a modern looking space with rebuild Magneplanar MG-IIc and Wharfedale W-70s of some letter suffix. I need to see if that is done, yet. He has been busy adding an out building with lift and half loft for some stereo gear, Crown PSA-2 at 275wpc and Bose 901 V hung from the ceiling. That is a rocking out building.

Since I was close to owning this rig, with one of the tables in the title of the thread, I thought I would post some pics of the table.

Let's make this a longer thread with full sized pics.
No full table pic but here is the table without the arm, platter, dust cover and such.


And finally, the tonearm, PAU-114 I think, not going to look it up again, sitting on its armboard with other arms on Thorens TD-125 armboards. I really need to talk Chip into installing a nice tonearm on his PS-2251.

Yes just cut a hole in the Digikey box for the underpinnings of the tonearm and they rest nicely on the box on top of the Reel to Reel/dbx unit. I've got a Magnepan arm that would do nicely on the PS-2251, tonearm on the right above. Everyone knows the SME 3009/S2 Improved.

This is one heck of a turntable. The direct drive equal of the TD-125, I'd guess. Be nice to listen to the two of them with the same arm and cartridge to hear the different presentations and try to decide which is the keeper...Well with two phono inputs...why not both?

Well made SOB. No?

minion - kissing.gif

 
DSCF0989.jpg

My Sony TTS 2500
 
Back
Top Bottom