• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony STR 6800 SD

Let me know if you need any parts. I have one of those, but missing it's faceplate and knobs. Works ok otherwise, but destined to be a parts unit I think...
 
The volume control will have seams in it, if you look closely. Inject the cleaner slowly into the seams, a syringe is best for this.
 
uneven channels

The volume control will have seams in it, if you look closely. Inject the cleaner slowly into the seams, a syringe is best for this.

Mine has a weaker (maybe 15%) right channel. I need to set the balance between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock to get a centered stage.

I have cleaned all pots/switches except the volume - wasn't able to get any deOxIT inside the black cover around the volume control. I checked DC offset: 19mV for the left channel, 32mV for the right channel.

Based on the above info, could a dirty volume control be the culprit or is it more likely to be something else?

Thanks in advance
Ben
 
If it's a dirty volume control you'd hear noise when you turn it. It could be a bad coupling cap in the signal path, either in the preamp or power amp. There are electrolytic caps in the power amp in the feedback circuit that can cause this also if they are bad.
 
Thanks for the suggestion dr: no noise coming from the volume control - I did work it up and down several times just in case.

I've not "graduated" to replacing caps yet... however I am tempted to try. Is there a way to test the capacitors with a multimeter? If that is the case, I could start there and see if I can pinpoint which one is out of spec/not performing as it should... then go about putting in a new one.

I make this sound simple - maybe there is more to it than I think. I have a few receivers that are in really bad shape, I figure I could practice on them before attempting anything serious with the 6800 (wouldn't want to wreck it!!).

Any tips would be appreciated! :yes:
 
Isn't this one of those early to mid '70's Sony receivers that's supposed to be one of the warmest and most-tubelike, like with the Sansui 4000 and that Sherwood model I keep forgetting?
 
Thanks for the suggestion dr: no noise coming from the volume control - I did work it up and down several times just in case.

I've not "graduated" to replacing caps yet... however I am tempted to try. Is there a way to test the capacitors with a multimeter? If that is the case, I could start there and see if I can pinpoint which one is out of spec/not performing as it should... then go about putting in a new one.

I make this sound simple - maybe there is more to it than I think. I have a few receivers that are in really bad shape, I figure I could practice on them before attempting anything serious with the 6800 (wouldn't want to wreck it!!).

Any tips would be appreciated! :yes:

The proper way to troubleshoot this repair is to connect an audio oscillator at the input and probe through the circuit with an oscilloscope to see where the gain is being lost. You need to be able to read a schematic, and have the equipment. Otherwise you're shooting in the dark.
 
Ok - this is most certainly out of my league then, for the moment at least.

Time to get rid of some stuff to raise funds - I really want to hear this receiver sing! :music:

Thx again
 
Sony STR-6800SD

Hey everyone, I know I'm a few months behind the last posts, but I figured I'd try anyway. I've had my 6800 for years and it has been getting a little tired recently. The relay on the inside bottom of the amp clicks off and on after it has been on for a little while. Also, most of the pots on the front have seen better days. I am actually a recent graduate in the field of electronics repair so I feel this is great little restoration project for me to undertake. Anyway, the main reasons for my posting are as follows:

1. Has anyone else encountered the relay issue I mentioned? If so, do you have any tips that may help in my initial troubleshooting?

2. If any of you still have your "parts" units around I would like to possibly make arrangements to acquire one.

Any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
 
Hey everyone, I know I'm a few months behind the last posts, but I figured I'd try anyway. I've had my 6800 for years and it has been getting a little tired recently. The relay on the inside bottom of the amp clicks off and on after it has been on for a little while. Also, most of the pots on the front have seen better days. I am actually a recent graduate in the field of electronics repair so I feel this is great little restoration project for me to undertake. Anyway, the main reasons for my posting are as follows:

1. Has anyone else encountered the relay issue I mentioned? If so, do you have any tips that may help in my initial troubleshooting?

2. If any of you still have your "parts" units around I would like to possibly make arrangements to acquire one.

Any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Are you ln the New york city area.
 
It seems like it could be DC offset that is hovering at the threshold of the protection cut-off. Try measuring DC offset at the terminals. I am uncertain if you can adjust it on this receiver however.
 
Hey everyone, I know I'm a few months behind the last posts, but I figured I'd try anyway. I've had my 6800 for years and it has been getting a little tired recently. The relay on the inside bottom of the amp clicks off and on after it has been on for a little while. Also, most of the pots on the front have seen better days. I am actually a recent graduate in the field of electronics repair so I feel this is great little restoration project for me to undertake. Anyway, the main reasons for my posting are as follows:

1. Has anyone else encountered the relay issue I mentioned? If so, do you have any tips that may help in my initial troubleshooting?

2. If any of you still have your "parts" units around I would like to possibly make arrangements to acquire one.

Any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I had a Sony STR-4800SD that had a problem I thought might be the protection relay. I went in with the intention of replacing it, but found a sloppy soldering job (I'm guessing done by the factory) on that relay. Cleaned it up = works fine. I also noticed some small leakage from the duo-cap. I've yet to change that out.
 
Let me know if you need any parts. I have one of those, but missing it's faceplate and knobs. Works ok otherwise, but destined to be a parts unit I think...

In search of a volume knob for Sony STR 6800. Any chance you might have one for sale? Thanks.
 
Just fyi. This thread is over 5 yr's old. You might want to PM him to see if he still has the parts unit though and good luck.
I love my 6800, Nice unit.
 
Back
Top Bottom