• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony STR 6800 SD

Just fyi. This thread is over 5 yr's old. You might want to PM him to see if he still has the parts unit though and good luck.
I love my 6800, Nice unit.

By quoting the post, there will be an alert on bigears page that can link him here. He should see it.
 
uneven channels



Mine has a weaker (maybe 15%) right channel. I need to set the balance between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock to get a centered stage.

I have cleaned all pots/switches except the volume - wasn't able to get any deOxIT inside the black cover around the volume control. I checked DC offset: 19mV for the left channel, 32mV for the right channel.

Based on the above info, could a dirty volume control be the culprit or is it more likely to be something else?

Thanks in advance
Ben

I understand this thread is from a year ago, but I was wondering what the resolution to this issue was? I picked up a near mint STR 5800 at an estate sale for $25 that I have mildly cleaned the controls and have been using it now for a couple of months. I have noticed the same issue with my 5800, low right channel volume that requires offsetting the balance. I have been researching cleaning protection relays and came across your post. I will be taking mine out of service to change a bulb and perform a more thorough cleaning. I found DC offset to be ~19mv and 23mv well within the "acceptable" range.

The receiver sounds great, even with diminished right channel volume and I absolutly love it. I have replaced the fake wood sides with solid walnut and want to get the electronics as good as I can. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom
 

Attachments

  • 20170714_053511.jpg
    20170714_053511.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20170714_053556.jpg
    20170714_053556.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20170714_053536.jpg
    20170714_053536.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I understand this thread is from a year ago, but I was wondering what the resolution to this issue was? I picked up a near mint STR 5800 at an estate sale for $25 that I have mildly cleaned the controls and have been using it now for a couple of months. I have noticed the same issue with my 5800, low right channel volume that requires offsetting the balance. I have been researching cleaning protection relays and came across your post. I will be taking mine out of service to change a bulb and perform a more thorough cleaning. I found DC offset to be ~19mv and 23mv well within the "acceptable" range.

The receiver sounds great, even with diminished right channel volume and I absolutly love it. I have replaced the fake wood sides with solid walnut and want to get the electronics as good as I can. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

I love the walnut panels you put on! I need a set for mine....... The one feature I love is the "Acoustic Compensation" switch and I love the position of the volume and tuner knobs.

17903602_1487482961271646_4229172048458262129_n.jpg
 
Thanks BodyBlue, they are fairly simple to make, the original is a setup guide for tablesaw, router table and drill press. The only slight tricky part is folding the front edge to wrap the grain around and hide the end grain. I considered making more to market them but not sure if there is enough of a market.

I love my 5800, I have a FM Stereo lamp to replace but I am really interested in sorting out the channel difference. It is not horrible to deal with I just want this receiver pristine. Any help in this area would be appreiated. I may start a new thread as this is for a 6800 and I am not trying to hijack.
 
Thanks BodyBlue, they are fairly simple to make, the original is a setup guide for tablesaw, router table and drill press. The only slight tricky part is folding the front edge to wrap the grain around and hide the end grain. I considered making more to market them but not sure if there is enough of a market.

I love my 5800, I have a FM Stereo lamp to replace but I am really interested in sorting out the channel difference. It is not horrible to deal with I just want this receiver pristine. Any help in this area would be appreiated. I may start a new thread as this is for a 6800 and I am not trying to hijack.

PM me with a price for the panels! And dont worry about hijacking a year old thread.
 
Back
Top Bottom