• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sony XL-55 and Sony XL-55 Pro cartridge

eldarvanyar

Member
Hi all,

I have been reading on the vintage knob website about the Sony XL-55 and Sony XL-55 Pro cartridge

Sony%20XL-55.jpg


xl-55.JPG



Has anyone used one of these or experience?

Thanks

Lee
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, once owned one. If it hadn't gotten a knackered cantilever I'd still be using it. Did survive 3 retips so more than got my money's worth. I loved mine. Sounded really natural but a bit bright. Imaged and soundstaged great. Tracked very good. Used a Denon SUT with mine.
 
Yes, once owned one. If it hadn't gotten a knackered cantilever I'd still be using it. Did survive 3 retips so more than got my money's worth. I loved mine. Sounded really natural but a bit bright. Imaged and soundstaged great. Tracked very good. Used a Denon SUT with mine.

Who did your retips? Did they replace the cantilever? I have one that appears intact, minus the stylus. I would like to preserve the fancy (beryllium, aluminium and carbon) cantilever, but Andy at Needleclinic says it would have to be replaced–so naturally I am looking for a second opinion!
 
I love my XL-55
P1070452.JPG
It has the most wonderful romantic, golden sound with excellent bass and natural highs.
Be aware that if the cantilever is replaced, it is likely to alter the original sound which may be a pity?
P1070452.JPG P1070444.JPG
 
Be aware that if the cantilever is replaced, it is likely to alter the original sound which may be a pity?
View attachment 798757 View attachment 798761

It probably will (not that I ever heard it in its original state,) but apparently if I don't replace the cantilever, all it will ever be is a cute but expensive paperweight!

So do I go for one of Andy's options (sapphire with linear contact or micro ridge needle) or one of Soundsmith's (sapphire, ruby, or boron with LC, or ruby with their "optimized" L C, or their basic option of aluminum with nude hyper elliptical)?
 
As the original stylus is a nude elliptical 0.3mmx0.8mm on a boron cantilever....I'd try to get as close to that as possible
P1070457.JPG
 
Sorry.....the cantilever IS aluminium, beryllium and carbon-fibre
http://www.vinylengine.com/ve_downloads/index.php?sony/sony_xl-55_pro.pdf
It's described as boron in Vinyl Engine's description of the 55Pro.
That gives me some comfort as most of my favourite cartridges have beryllium cantilevers whilst the boron cantilevered cartridges I own, seem to mostly disappoint.....and yes, that includes the Atlas.
How you get a cantilever to even CLOSELY resemble this unique construction is beyond me?
Best to ask Peter Lederman. I'd tend to trust his advice.
 
Hi,

Trawling my memory banks from years ago, which may not be accurate,
beware of a seriously bright extreme top end, though at my age now I
doubt it would bother me in the slightest, seeing I only go up to 14KHz.

rgds, sreten.
 
Hi,

Trawling my memory banks from years ago, which may not be accurate,
beware of a seriously bright extreme top end, though at my age now I
doubt it would bother me in the slightest, seeing I only go up to 14KHz.

rgds, sreten.
Either your memory is slipping :p or you had a faulty sample...
The XL-55 possesses possibly the smoothest treble I've heard.....in fact many might describe it as 'rolled-off' :rflmao:
 
I don't have personal experience, but I've also read comments about it being on the bright side. See for instance here:
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=12595.msg191570#msg191570


I have run it directly through the MC input of my Halcro DM10 preamp loaded at 220Ohms and also through my Kondo SUT into the MM input.
Both provide delicious all-encompassing warmth and power.
The Kondo is my preference.
I've also used it in heavy headshells like the FR3 and light ones like the Yamamoto HS-1As Ebony wood all with equal success. Tracking at 2Gm works well.
I have a friend with XL-55Pro who loves it like I do and experiences the same presentation.
This really is a cartridge to look out for if, like me, you despair of the modern MC presentation....
 
Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for one. I don't have any modern MCs to compare it with, except SPU Synergy. All my other MCs are vintage, e.g., FR1 Mk3f, Accuphase AC1, Audiocraft AC03, etc.

How did you like the Victor MC-L1000? I think you recently sold one on Audiogon, so not a keeper, I guess.
 
Also, what are the headshell leads you have in that FR-S/3? They don't look original. I have a couple of FR-S/3 headshells and find there to be very little space behind the cartridge, so I'm curious which leads you managed to fit in.
 
Last edited:
The Victor is a stunning cartridge with a treble presentation unlike any other.
It had two flaws in my system:-
  • Narrow soundstage (I could live with that)
  • Deficient bass presentation (couldn't live with that :bs:)
Nevertheless.....I'm richer for the experience. Would love to hear the AT-ART1000 to see if they've solved the bass.....?
According to Mikey......they have.:banana:
 
Also, what are the headshell leads you have in that FR3? They don't look original. I have a couple of FR-S/3 headshells and find there to be very little space behind the cartridge, so I'm curious which leads you managed to fit in.
They are the leads that came already installed with that particular FR-3 although I agree with you that they are not 'original' compared the those on my other four FR-3 headshells.
I hate replacing the leads on these shells as they are attached so far into the shell that it's almost impossible to access.
 
At the price they charge for the AT-ART1000 I sure hope they would have solved the bass... :) The Victor sounds interesting then too. I listen a lot to chamber music, incl. solo violin, and if the treble is stunning, I could live with weak bass.

How do the XL55 & MC-L1000 compare with modern cartridges that have nice treble like the Benz wood models or ZYX?


Yes, changing the leads on FR-S/3 is painful...
 
I think the MC-L1000 may be revelatory for chamber music and violin....:trebon:
I have the ZYX UNIverse and XV-1S and Atlas and Denon 103R and had the Titan i and
Helikon as well as a whole bunch of 'stars' in the past.
Whilst the Atlas gives the 'illusion' of super detail, speed and transparency.....compared to 'live' music I find its presentation to be a shallow facsimile.
The UNIverse is probably the least deceitful of the 'modern' breed but even it is just too polite for its own good IMO....:boring:
The XL-55 just sounds 'real'.....it goes through your belly and brain at the same time just like live music does.
Its presentation is related to the great old SPUs like the 'A' model
P1080655.JPG
The L1000 is just unique...
P1080632.JPG
It's treble seems to separate every instrument with a definition and vividness like no other. It's hard to really explain because I've never quite heard this presentation before? I'm kinda regretting selling this cartridge.....I'd like to put it on now....:music:
 
Well, the XL55 & MC-L1000 join FR7f on the list of "cartridges to look out for" then!

I've heard great things about SPU A, but have wondered about the adapter. Someone claimed that it takes away a lot of what makes the SPU A special. Your TW should have moveable arm mounting, so have you tried mounting a tonearm 22mm closer and using the SPU A without the adapter?

Oh, I do have another two modern cartridges: Shelter Harmony & Miyajima Premium Be mono. Quite like them, but I think I know what you mean in terms of the differences to the vintage carts. Of the modern cartridges, I'm quite curious about the stereo Miyajimas and the My Sonic Labs. The very low output impedance of the MSLs should make them sound quite vivid.

Also, did you find more of the Yamaha YDS-3 stabilizers? I saw one for sale and tried sending you a PM on Audiogon, but am not sure if it went through.
 
Last edited:
I didn't try the 'A' SPU without the adaptor...I suppose I could but because I change cartridges in that arm regularly, I don't want to have to change P to S distance all the time....but also the off-set angle would change wouldn't it?
Besides.....those who claim 'sensitivity' in phono connections with interchangeable headshells I find are really those who don't listen very critically. Believe me.....additional connections in the phono stage are so far below the hearing plateau it's risible. And those audiophiles who insist on rigid one-piece headshells are depriving themselves of the SINGLE most important audible relationship in the phono chain.....that between the cartridge and the headshell. Most fixed headshells are metal but metal headshells compose perhaps only 10% of mine.
P1080492.JPG
I didn't receive your message re the Yamaha weights but I received an Email from Banquo....another A'Gon member.
I now have two....
They are indeed superior to any other weights I've tried....
But thanks for the attempt...
What's your moniker on A'Gon...?
 
Back
Top Bottom