• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SOTA Pyxi has arrived

Still liking the Pyxi. The only issue I have is kind of a 1st world problem. I don't like the power switch. I would rather have a simple on-off switch that would power up and down with everything else.

Mike
 
Still liking the Pyxi. The only issue I have is kind of a 1st world problem. I don't like the power switch. I would rather have a simple on-off switch that would power up and down with everything else.

Mike
Yes, some people have stated that to be a "problem". SoTa chose to have it done that way.
The original DIY design used a different technique to create the delayed turn on and the power on switch could be in a fixed on state that would power up with everything else. To change it would require a hack of the PC board. Perhaps the second generation Pyxi will have this as an optional internal jumper. It has been suggested.
The delayed turn on is essential as it allows time for the DC offset loops to stabilize.
 
Yes, some people have stated that to be a "problem". SoTa chose to have it done that way.
The original DIY design used a different technique to create the delayed turn on and the power on switch could be in a fixed on state that would power up with everything else. To change it would require a hack of the PC board. Perhaps the second generation Pyxi will have this as an optional internal jumper. It has been suggested.
The delayed turn on is essential as it allows time for the DC offset loops to stabilize.
Thanks for the answer. Would you see any issue just leaving it on 24/7?

Mike
 
Wondering what the MC performance is for those that have experience? I have only used mine in MM.
Thanks all!
 
Well, the MC performance is, believe it or not, actually better than the MM in some ways, and I can't think of a way that it is inferior. This is not your usual cheap MC/MM approach.
The RIAA compliance is identical in both modes (150mdB p-p guaranteed, tested), the MC distortion is even lower than the extremely low MM level, and the overload characteristics are better in MC than MM. The power supply rejection performance is identical. The effective S/N ratio comparing a typical LOMC (10ohms, 10uH coil) to a typical MM (1.3kohms, 500mH coil) is about the same.
The sonic character is identical, and there are many people using the phono stage for MC cartridges.
However, I understand why you would want more "unbiased" perspectives.
 
Well, the MC performance is, believe it or not, actually better than the MM in some ways, and I can't think of a way that it is inferior. This is not your usual cheap MC/MM approach.
The RIAA compliance is identical in both modes (150mdB p-p guaranteed, tested), the MC distortion is even lower than the extremely low MM level, and the overload characteristics are better in MC than MM. The power supply rejection performance is identical. The effective S/N ratio comparing a typical LOMC (10ohms, 10uH coil) to a typical MM (1.3kohms, 500mH coil) is about the same.
The sonic character is identical, and there are many people using the phono stage for MC cartridges.
However, I understand why you would want more "unbiased" perspectives.
Thank you, Wyn!
 
I wrote an initial review last week using the MC stage, very impressed so far, but more listening to do across multiple MC cartridges.
 
Wondering what the MC performance is for those that have experience? I have only used mine in MM.
Thanks all!


I have found it comes down to cable dressing for MC, if the cable from your table to the phono stage is too long and of lower quality with regards to shielding you'll have some issues with airborne induced hum . With MM its not so much an issue from my time with the DIY versions I have built. Also keep the cable away from any AC lines .


Athanasios
 
The Pyxi worked very well with MC. It sounded great with both a Denon 103R and a Denon Dl-S1 that I used. Right now I’m using the MM stage with a high output Grado Sonata 3 and it sounds great with that too.
 
That is a very complimentary review. You don't often read critics gushing over a product like this. Especially considering the price. For me, it came in at around $500 CAD. And I am very happy with it!
 
Back
Top Bottom