• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SOTA Pyxi has arrived

Sure hope they make the MM only version…..:)
Alas, I have no control over that, I've heard nothing from them, and I haven't asked.
Right now, they're focused on a very high-end field-oriented control based thin gap motor direct drive turntable which seems to be extremely promising and which, truth be told, is far more consistent with their usual market thrust.
There have now been four published reviews of the Pyxi so far and all four have been quite complimentary, for whatever that's worth, despite the necessary and imposed limitations on the design.
Perhaps SoTa will pick up the new DIY design that's under development which is also switchable MC/MM but performs equally well with both as it has multiple ultra-low noise FETs for the input devices and an unusual architecture.
 
Alas, I have no control over that, I've heard nothing from them, and I haven't asked.
Right now, they're focused on a very high-end field-oriented control based thin gap motor direct drive turntable which seems to be extremely promising and which, truth be told, is far more consistent with their usual market thrust.
There have now been four published reviews of the Pyxi so far and all four have been quite complimentary, for whatever that's worth, despite the necessary and imposed limitations on the design.
Perhaps SoTa will pick up the new DIY design that's under development which is also switchable MC/MM but performs equally well with both as it has multiple ultra-low noise FETs for the input devices and an unusual architecture.
I’ve read them. I may end up buying the MM/MC this year. Thanks again for the opportunity to hear the MM, it’s a gem for sure.
 
Alas, I have no control over that, I've heard nothing from them, and I haven't asked.
Right now, they're focused on a very high-end field-oriented control based thin gap motor direct drive turntable which seems to be extremely promising and which, truth be told, is far more consistent with their usual market thrust.
There have now been four published reviews of the Pyxi so far and all four have been quite complimentary, for whatever that's worth, despite the necessary and imposed limitations on the design.
Perhaps SoTa will pick up the new DIY design that's under development which is also switchable MC/MM but performs equally well with both as it has multiple ultra-low noise FETs for the input devices and an unusual architecture.
Mr Palmer,
You may recognize my user handle. Just for kicks I went through the many pages on asr related to the Pyxi. I was taken by the fact that so much argument could be generated on a forum that emphasizes ”nothing but the facts, ma’am” as its basic philosophy. They make the “subjective crowd” sound really reasonable. The on and on about low frequency resonance was something to hear, but the killer was the guy from Belgium who bitched about the 300 dollar price. What planet are these people from. You are far more patient than I would be. Still like the Pyxi.
 
I read this thread today, as my friend is looking for a phono pre-amp, interesting reading. I was surprised that the Aragon 47K was mentioned, I’ve been using mine for 25+ years with no issue and thought I probably had the sole survivor on the face of the earth.
 
I read this thread today, as my friend is looking for a phono pre-amp, interesting reading. I was surprised that the Aragon 47K was mentioned, I’ve been using mine for 25+ years with no issue and thought I probably had the sole survivor on the face of the earth.
Oddly enough, I recently had to "tear down" and simulate an Aragon 47k to compare against the standard Pyxi.
 
Mr Palmer,

I see you have, based on the equipment list 2 of the Benchmark AHB2 amps, how do you like them?? I have 2 of them along with a LA4 and a Dac 3 HGC, bi-amping a pair of Acarian Alon IVs.
 
The Absolute Sound just published a very complimentary review of the Pyxi/Sota Quasar combo.
It seems that if you like/want a "neutral" sound it gets high marks- which was the goal.
There have been, I believe, five extremely complimentary reviews so far.
 
Last edited:
The Absolute Sound just published a very complimentary review of the Pyxi/Sota Quasar combo.
It seems that if you like/want a "neutral" sound it gets high marks- which was the goal.
There have been, I believe, five extremely complimentary reviews so far.

I have just read through this thread in the hopes that the Pyxi will be right for me, which I think it will. I run a AT VM95ML but also have repotted some older, lower inductance (410mH) 95e bodies into the VM95 cap with the ML stylus. The specs of both carts say 3.5mV output, but the older body is definitely lower than that. So the 45db gain of the Pyxi and the 47pf seems like a match made in heaven. But my questions is this: should I hold out for the newer MM version you have been mentioning for the last several months or just get the current model with MC capabilities?
 
I wouldn't hold my breath for the MM one if I were you.
SoTa's focus lies elsewhere at the moment- principally their new field-oriented control direct drive turntable, and they have limited, even if very competent, resources for bringing new designs to market from the prototype stage.
 
I wouldn't hold my breath for the MM one if I were you.
SoTa's focus lies elsewhere at the moment- principally their new field-oriented control direct drive turntable, and they have limited, even if very competent, resources for bringing new designs to market from the prototype stage.

Thanks! The good news is that I get a phono stage not as opposed to later.
 
I was one of the fortunate….. or not since it’s likely to never be sold…..to hear Wyns’ MM only Pyxi last year. I was extremely impressed. Dead quiet it was, wide and deep soundstage. As good as the DL MP7 I own. In anticipation of sending the Darlington off for upgrade I bought the standard Pyxi last month and have been putting it through its paces. I’ve been using a Ned Clayton SUT and the MP7 with a Denon 301II and a 103 and then the MP7 alone with my MI carts. As many of you know it’s a steal. Last pre many will ever need.
 
After reading a few extremely positive reviews on the ultra affordable Pyxi phono preamp from SOTA, I decided to pull the trigger and ordered one on Friday evening. Today, Monday, the unit arrive safely to me, packaged up nicely. It was very easy to set up using the included instructions/manual. A couple of easy clicks up and down on the settings on the bottom of the unit, and I was ready to go!
I connected my Basis 2000 turntable to the unit and the unit out to the AUX 2 input on my MA4100 receiver. I started with Donald Fagen‘s “The Nightfly“, a very well produced and pressed album. A wonderful full sound, detail, and airy presentation quickly came through my ADS 910’s. I especially noticed the mid range and low end sounding better than I have ever heard by system sound. I realize, this could be a “placebo effect“ of me getting a cool new piece of gear, so… A few hours of listening tonight will be necessary!
After Fagan, I put on Dire Straits “Love over Gold“ and the album has never sounded better. Tremendous!

I will continue to report back and let the unit break in for 10 or 20 hours before really summing up my thoughts, but so far, so great!
Is that a Rega arm on there?
 
My, my my... that is a LOT of discussion, especially concerning a component at this particular price point! Not that price is always (or ever) the most important or indicative factor to consider when purchasing an audio component. Well said, all!

I kind of got lost in some of the thread, but what got me very interested in the first place was the fact that this unit was going to be used with a McIntosh 4100, a unit I also own and love. So what was the final verdict on that? Which phono stage is actually better? My (recapped, restored, and lovely) 4100 is currently being used on my "digital" side - CD, Sonos streamer with Schitt DAC, and mostly Spotify. That said I'm very interested in using the Pyxi on my "Analog" side - McIntosh C34V, MC2150, and a
U-Turn TT with an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. Hence my interest in a Mac/SOTA comparison/showdown. What say you, 34dean, or any others that might have or be considering that combination. Thanks as always for input and feedback.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1831 (1).jpg
    IMG_1831 (1).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 14
I was one of the fortunate….. or not since it’s likely to never be sold…..to hear Wyns’ MM only Pyxi last year. I was extremely impressed. Dead quiet it was, wide and deep soundstage. As good as the DL MP7 I own. In anticipation of sending the Darlington off for upgrade I bought the standard Pyxi last month and have been putting it through its paces. I’ve been using a Ned Clayton SUT and the MP7 with a Denon 301II and a 103 and then the MP7 alone with my MI carts. As many of you know it’s a steal. Last pre many will ever need.
I’m very interested in how the upgraded DL MP7 compares to the Pyxi? Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom