• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Southern California AK Winter Meet-up Info & RSVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
This shows the inards of the front, back, and power supply. The cables for the 8 line ins/outs are still be be added between the back and front, but the cabinet will need to be in place and that would ruin the pics. All speaker wire is 16 gauge. All connections are silver soldered.

DSC_00098.JPG


The 100-watt, 16 ohm dummy load resistors are fastened together for the two amps under test such that if one amp is using its resistors (instead of speakers), the complementary resistor for the other amp (which would not be in use) also acts as a heat sink. You can see some of the relay logic (mess of wires) that goes into the speaker level switching.
DSC_00125.JPG


Here we see the relay logic that controls the line level switching assembled using "dead bug" architecture. This is mounted directly to the back of the Alps pots to keep the wire runs short. The key fob remote receiver is on the right.
DSC_00161.JPG


And a separate 3 amp power supply provides plenty of juice, even to run incandecent tell tail bulbs if desired
DSC_00182.JPG
 
Any of you guys gardeners? I have a nice big bag of sawdust and wood chips. Trash day is Thursday but I’ll hold it another week until the next trash day if someone claims it by Wednesday night.
image.jpg
 
I've found that the 50' phone cord has too great a voltage loss over it's length so that it won't fire the relays in the remote box. :rant: The resultant voltage is about 4 volts at the relays. I have two 8' phone lines and they both work fine, with less than 2 volts drop at the relays, one more than the other.

I think the problem with the 50-footer is excessive length and that the wire gauge is a bit smaller gauge than the 8 footers. So if one of you guys has a phone cord lying around in the 15 - 35 foot range with four (as opposed to two) conductors, let me know and I'll give it a try.

Thanks
 
Testing out the switcher, everything seems to work as designed. However, the Chinese 120/12 volt power supply creates a hum in the line level throughputs, especially through the Alps pots. The internal lines do use shielded wire except right at the pots. Replacing the power supply with a 12 volt battery makes everything nice and quiet.

So, I'll probably replace the power suppy with a plug that will allow an external 12 volt battery or wall wart.
 
I've found that the 50' phone cord has too great a voltage loss over it's length so that it won't fire the relays in the remote box. :rant: The resultant voltage is about 4 volts at the relays. I have two 8' phone lines and they both work fine, with less than 2 volts drop at the relays, one more than the other.

I think the problem with the 50-footer is excessive length and that the wire gauge is a bit smaller gauge than the 8 footers. So if one of you guys has a phone cord lying around in the 15 - 35 foot range with four (as opposed to two) conductors, let me know and I'll give it a try.

Thanks
So RJ-11?
 
FYI, I asked the mods and they were gracious enough to move our original SoCal Hoedown "Buy, Sell, Trade" thread to the newly created "RSD, Meet-up Buy & Sell, Swap-table, Group Buys" forum. This way we have a place to post our "for sale" wares for our SoCal get-togethers without having to create a new BT thread each and every time we have a hoedown.
 
Hey guys,

I went to play my MoFi SACD Stevie Ray Vaughn Can't Stand The Weather and there is no disk in the case. o_O

The last time it was played was at the gathering in Santa Ana. Sooo, perhaps still in that machine???

Thanks
 
... Or maybe it was at John's place? I remember that we tried to play one of my SACDs there, but the system was set up to use HDMI and not the 5.1 inputs so we ended up streaming the cut.

The truth is out there.
 
Nope. It’s an easy search here at mi casa. We have just the one multi-disc player and there wasn’t an extra SRV disc in it. Sorry
How’s everyone doing during these very strange days?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom