• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Southern California AK Winter Meet-up Info & RSVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, what do you all think about bringing some reel to reels to the next big meetup? :naughty:

Just an idea. I picked up an old tube reel to reel player earlier today and I’m having a blast with it so far. The tapes I got with it sound pretty good and since we haven’t gotten a chance to compare this type of media against the other formats I thought it might be fun
2BB20411-4EF1-4C99-B883-4456CFC0D8CB.png
 
Hey fellas, what do you all think about bringing some reel to reels to the next big meetup? :naughty:

Just an idea. I picked up an old tube reel to reel player earlier today and I’m having a blast with it so far. The tapes I got with it sound pretty good and since we haven’t gotten a chance to compare this type of media against the other formats I thought it might be funView attachment 1748165
That would be cool. I haven't heard RTR since I was a kid.
 
At the get together a couple weeks ago, we had ADS L-1590's and M12's. I've never heard any M15's, but I'd think they'd combine the best of both. There's a pair for sale now on CL in LA (search for M15.) It'd be great if a member bought these; we could have them at the next gathering! :D
 
Well played Sir :)
I guess I should have exercised more specificity. In regards to consumer audio equipment were there any sliders that didn't get noisy? Years back I worked sound with a couple of old at the time Mackie 32 channel analog sound boards and don't recall any noisy sliders or gain pots. This makes me wonder if consumer eq's used inferior components as compared to pro.
 
Well played Sir :)
I guess I should have exercised more specificity. In regards to consumer audio equipment were there any sliders that didn't get noisy? Years back I worked sound with a couple of old at the time Mackie 32 channel analog sound boards and don't recall any noisy sliders or gain pots. This makes me wonder if consumer eq's used inferior components as compared to pro.

BION, the sliders on my 10-band BSR eq/RTA were still quiet when I tested it last year for a sale. I bet the sliders on my two Yamaha 31 band eqs (sitting in the closet) are also quiet. But the Yamahas electronics (hiss) are noisier than the BSRs.
 
I've been working on the "Ultimate Switcher" and this shows the status of the requested "remote" box.

Two single gang surface mount electrial boxes are screwed back to back and gold RadioShack speaker connector wall plates provide the ins and outs. A bi-color LED on top shows that it is on and its status. Green means things are simply passing through and red means they are switched to the opposite side. The switches select either the speakers or internal 16 ohm, 100 watt load resistors. A telephone cord connects it to the main assembly. The two RCA jacks are to connect the "tell tale" lamps.

Still need the big relays to go inside.

DSC_000421.JPG
DSC_000519.JPG
DSC_000621.JPG
 
The main case came Wed and Thur I designed the face and back in CAD and cut them out today for test fitting. So far, so good!

Alps pots are recessed within the case using "stand-offs."
DSC_000520.JPG


And come through like this:
DSC_000622.JPG


Face on the case:
DSC_00079.JPG

And the back. (The laser is the certainly the best way to cut square holes for the telephone plug.)
DSC_000815.JPG
 
This just in:

One of the best Society events of the year is coming up on Sunday, February 23, 2020 from 2 to 5 pm. Don’t miss it!

Just announced: raffle items for your consideration!
- WIN a pair of Elac Debut B6 bookshelf speakers
-WIN Bowers and Wilkins PX wireless headphones
-WIN Synergistic Research UEF cable risers
-WIN Synergistic Research Orange Outlet with carbon fiber duplex cover
-WIN hand-selected CDs from a private collection for your listening pleasure!!!!!

Scott Walker Audio is hosting the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society at his fabulous showroom (1215 N. Tustin Ave., Anaheim, CA 92807, (714) 630-4100). Scott and his staff always put out a large display of the latest and best in high end audio at all price levels.

Scott Walker Audio is the newest Rockport and VPI dealer on the West Coast. See and hear their latest offerings including the Rockport Atria II and Avior II speakers, and the VPI Avenger Reference and Prime Signature in Rosewood turntables.

Scott will also be demonstrating the Magnepan LRS, MAGICO A3, and Sonus Faber Olympica Nova speakers. Electronics from Constellation (Revelation series), Gryphon, McIntosh, VAC and Soulution will be used. Digital from Roon Labs and MQA will be showcased on gear from Berkeley Audio Design (Alpha Reference series 3), Aurender, MSB Technology and MyTek.

See also turntables from Acoustic Signature (Invictus Jr) using cartridges from Air Tight, SoundSmith, and Ortofon.

As the #1 Synergistic Research dealer, all rooms will be outfitted with the latest room acoustics, cabling, power conditioning and accessories by Synergistic Research. Audio racks from Artesania and Solid Tech will be on display in all rooms.

The newest SONY Oled UHD TVs will be showing. Headphones from HIFI Man, Focal, Sony, and Audeze will be available for audition.

Eastwind Import will be on hand to offer personally selected vinyl and CDs for sale.

In addition, Scott always puts out some great used audio gear with special prices for Society members. A delicious lunch will be served. Parking is ample and free right out front. Guests, visitors and members alike are invited. For directions check out Website: scottwalkeraudio.com For more information call our new President and CEO Mike Wechsberg at (714) 906-9780.
 
For anyone planning on attending Sunday's audio event, this just in:

Urgent Sunday Meeting Postponed

To All Members,

Scott Walker informs us that he and his staff all came down with a serious illness while at the Tampa Audio Show recently. He is unable to support our event planned for this Sunday February 23rd due to depletion of staff and concern about spreading the illness to others. The Society is working with Scott to re-schedule the event for later this year. Please keep checking the Society website for more information. We are using all our social media accounts to make the membership aware of this postponement, but please pass the word to your friends to make sure they don’t make an unnecessary trip to Scott Walker’s. We apologize for the late notice that could not be avoided.

Our next Society event will be at ESS Laboratories in South El Monte on March 22, 2020. Stay tuned for more details.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom