• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker cables have shown to made a difference... does it matter?

I just got my Audioholics Monthly email and it had first a review of Kimber 4PR and 8PR cables. They tout Kimber for not wrapping their products in snake oil, and for publishing all performance metrics on their products.

It is interesting as to what the reviewer says he heard between the 2 sets of cables.

Out of that review is a link to Audioholics Top 10 Signs Audio Cable Vendor is Selling you Snake Oil, which for the most part is pretty spot on. Page 2 is a scathing email sent back to them from the VP of Development at Audioquest.

I'm unsure if I can post the links here but it can be found on the Audioholics site.
 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

The VP of Development at Audioquest should have consulted his/her VP of marketing before reacting, rather than responding. Although I am sure there are few, it just throws gas on the flames for those who might feel, if the shoe fits...


Happy Listening!:beatnik:
 
The VP of Development at Audioquest should have consulted his/her VP of marketing before reacting, rather than responding. Although I am sure there are few, it just throws gas on the flames for those who might feel, if the shoe fits...


Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Were you able to read the article and responses?
 
The VP of Development at Audioquest should have consulted his/her VP of marketing before reacting, rather than responding. Although I am sure there are few, it just throws gas on the flames for those who might feel, if the shoe fits...
Happy Listening!:beatnik:

"Methinks he doth protest too much" ?
 
Reads like a bad Audio Critic rant.

I'll ad my own sign that a publication is to be avoided at absolutely ALL costs:

The word "truth" is anywhere in their tagline.
 
Reads like a bad Audio Critic rant.

I'll ad my own sign that a publication is to be avoided at absolutely ALL costs:

The word "truth" is anywhere in their tagline.

Qft

Another one to avoid...

And was there any other kind of Audio Critic rant?
 
thisoffice.jpg
 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I read enough... oh, boy.
 
Lost in the Snake Oil focus, is that the Gene DellaSala at least acknowledges speaker cable can sound and measure different. He says cable can sound different - bad ones that is. Which is a kind of left handed compliment but an acknowledgment nonetheless. ;)

Gene DellaSala's main and recurring complaint is the questionable marketing psychobabble which he calls Snake Oil signs. He also admits they have not formed an opinion on the quality of Audioquest cable itself. Just the marketing claims.
 
Dubious marketing claims? Why does everybody act like it's something only cable companies do. I don't know a product sold who's marketing claims wouldn't fall apart under a microscope. It's a vehicle of persuasion, not factual evidence, and it is laughable how cable companies are singled out in a vacuum from everybody else. The world is largely deaf to advertising, it's like wall paper in how prevalent it is in our lives. Yet the average person only remembers 2-3 advertising communications a day with any clarity. I hardly think it explains the popularity of cables.
 
Dubious marketing claims? Why does everybody act like it's something only cable companies do. I don't know a product sold who's marketing claims wouldn't fall apart under a microscope. It's a vehicle of persuasion, not factual evidence, and it is laughable how cable companies are singled out in a vacuum from everybody else. The world is largely deaf to advertising, it's like wall paper in how prevalent it is in our lives. Yet the average person only remembers 2-3 advertising communications a day with any clarity. I hardly think it explains the popularity of cables.

As a vintage audio leaning site, should we dig up some add from the 70's? So many of the companies that are so near and dear to the hearts of AKers published such BS that the government had to step in to stop it. Oddly, that never seems to come up in discussions of vintage gear.
 
Dubious marketing claims? Why does everybody act like it's something only cable companies do. I don't know a product sold who's marketing claims wouldn't fall apart under a microscope. It's a vehicle of persuasion, not factual evidence, and it is laughable how cable companies are singled out in a vacuum from everybody else. The world is largely deaf to advertising, it's like wall paper in how prevalent it is in our lives. Yet the average person only remembers 2-3 advertising communications a day with any clarity. I hardly think it explains the popularity of cables.

Who's acting like this is limited to cable companies? Not me, I don't trust *anybody*. Sure, I've pointed out once or twice in these discussions that some vendors (and publications, who take advertising money) might have some skin in the game regarding some of the data that's been published. But that's only because we've been talking about cables.

I don't take anything on face value. I always follow the money. Let's talk MLM some time...

bs
 
As a vintage audio leaning site, should we dig up some add from the 70's? So many of the companies that are so near and dear to the hearts of AKers published such BS that the government had to step in to stop it. Oddly, that never seems to come up in discussions of vintage gear.

I'd actually appreciate that discussion. Which companies? And what were the claims? Might warrant a separate thread.

bs
 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

My only complaint with marketing in audio and with cable companies is it lacks the audience and funds to really have some fun and be artful about the product. Get someones interest, then go though the nuts and bolts stuff, don't make that the point of reference, boring.

Happy Listening!:beatnik:
 
Using an oddball (and very inefficient) load like the Maggies makes this fairly useless info for those of us that use more normal speakers.

I would like to have seen 12 or 14 ga. zipcord in there as well as braided CAT-5.

I'd agree this is an unusual load and why nothing between $3 and $1000 ?
 
Back
Top Bottom