• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Shootout

I will check them out, but it doesn't have to be KT88, right? I don't know much about tubes, but el34 seems cheaper...

With LM the EL34 amp is less expensive at $1650. I am a big fan of the EL34 sound in a well designed circuit.
 
Are you thinking of this particular LM amp for your LS50s too Art?

Considering the LM211ia or LM216ia. I think either would work but the proof is in the listening and so my dealer and I are working on an audition. We'll see.
 
Pre-owned PMC Tb2i Signatures in mint condition or LS50s new?? PMCs are 1 k delivered but unable to audition. Liked a previous PMC I heard. Like the LS50's but a little bass shy in my listening room. Will be powered by a Rogue Cronus Magnum.
 
Pre-owned PMC Tb2i Signatures in mint condition or LS50s new?? PMCs are 1 k delivered but unable to audition. Liked a previous PMC I heard. Like the LS50's but a little bass shy in my listening room. Will be powered by a Rogue Cronus Magnum.


What are your favorite bands/composers/artists?
 
Pre-owned PMC Tb2i Signatures in mint condition or LS50s new?? PMCs are 1 k delivered but unable to audition. Liked a previous PMC I heard. Like the LS50's but a little bass shy in my listening room. Will be powered by a Rogue Cronus Magnum.

I would not match PMC with tubes. I'm not so sure about Kef, either. I just think either would benefit greatly from powerful solid state. At the same price point, I would take TB2i hands down, especially if you want more bass.
 
Jazz, vocals, acoustic, chamber pieces along with classic rock, no heavy metal. The Rogue sounds exceptional with the LS50s. Reading up on PMC the favored amp is Bryston solid state gear.

Reading Art K's review a few years back has me wanting to try the PMCs.. I could get the Rega Brio-R to match with it and have 2 modest systems. Decisions???
 
Jazz, vocals, acoustic, chamber pieces along with classic rock, no heavy metal. The Rogue sounds exceptional with the LS50s. Reading up on PMC the favored amp is Bryston solid state gear.

Reading Art K's review a few years back has me wanting to try the PMCs.. I could get the Rega Brio-R to match with it and have 2 modest systems. Decisions???

Not quite sure what you were originally asking if you intend to get both speakers. Perhaps start a thread?
 
No music again

Today I sent off my amplifier of three years for a very good price. I just jumped on an offer that I didn't think was possible for such a no-name amplifier. And my only source started acting up. When things happen, all happens at the same time.

I'm still debating between computer/dac and nas/streamer. There are just too many variables in audio these days. Technology changes too fast. It makes me want to start collecting LP's now.

Coming back to the amplifier, Rogue Cronus could be the best option for my money. Cayin costs the same as Rogue. Jolida could be a real sleeper at half the price. The new Croft hybrids look great, but they could be another flavor of the month. Another route I could take is...just chill with a solid state like Musical Fidelity or Arcam which should match well with Proac's.

For crying out loud, I have a pair of beautiful speakers not playing anything right now!
 
Last edited:
No music again

Today I sent off my amplifier of three years for a very good price. I just jumped on an offer that I didn't think was possible for such a no-name amplifier. And my only source started acting up. When things happen, all happens at the same time.

I'm still debating between computer/dac and nas/streamer. There are just too many variables in audio these days. Technology changes too fast. It makes me want to start collecting LP's now.

Coming back to the amplifier, Rogue Cronus could be the best option for my money. Cayin costs the same as Rogue. Jolida could be a real sleeper at half the price. The new Croft hybrids look great, but they could be another flavor of the month. Another route I could take is...just chill with a solid state like Musical Fidelity or Arcam which should match well with Proac's.

For crying out loud, I have a pair of beautiful speakers not playing anything right now!


I can assure you that the Croft Integrated's are more then merely flavors of the month, and quite possibly can see off quite a few tube bases amps without breaking a sweat, and by being hybrids by nature they would also offer a sense of reliability that an all tube amp can't, much like people whom were exposed to older English tube based designs like Beard - Leak - Quad and Radford many find over the long haul it stops here - while many of the modern designs are trying to mimic the sound of solid state in regards to bass impact/tightness or higher resolution at the very top end, some lack that all important emphasis in the mid range and aren't as delicate in nature.

Having owned an Almarro A-318B years ago, and regretfully sold it while pursuing something which sounded different - not better, it was for me an ear opening introduction to SET based designs with enough power to drive most speakers to levels all but head bangers could/should appreciate.

It seems you've a lot of great options to consider - and I for one am eager to see where your heart guides you in a logical sense?, once again - enjoy " Your " Quest.

Regards,
:D_o scar
 
Well said Oscar, we share the same basic feelings on that Croft, a wonderful piece indeed!
Tim
 
I can assure you that the Croft Integrated's are more then merely flavors of the month, and quite possibly can see off quite a few tube bases amps without breaking a sweat, and by being hybrids by nature they would also offer a sense of reliability that an all tube amp can't, much like people whom were exposed to older English tube based designs like Beard - Leak - Quad and Radford many find over the long haul it stops here - while many of the modern designs are trying to mimic the sound of solid state in regards to bass impact/tightness or higher resolution at the very top end, some lack that all important emphasis in the mid range and aren't as delicate in nature.

Having owned an Almarro A-318B years ago, and regretfully sold it while pursuing something which sounded different - not better, it was for me an ear opening introduction to SET based designs with enough power to drive most speakers to levels all but head bangers could/should appreciate.

It seems you've a lot of great options to consider - and I for one am eager to see where your heart guides you in a logical sense?, once again - enjoy " Your " Quest.

Regards,
:D_o scar

I dream of Cary SETs...I wonder if I can get similar sound on the cheap.
 
I dream of Cary SETs...I wonder if I can get similar sound on the cheap.

Look at Chinese amps with 845 tubes. You should be able to find reasonably good one for $1200-1600 new, and below $900 used. I am listening slightly modified Mr.Liang amp now - got it for $750 off Craigslist. And after DIY mod with $100 of new parts it sounds very good through B&W802D speakers.
 
I dream of Cary SETs...I wonder if I can get similar sound on the cheap.

Having owned a Cary CAD-300B SEI Integrated back in 2000, and having heard one a friend had on loan from the company last year - I'd have to say that to my ears they've allowed the fidelity to slip somewhat and aren't as musical as some cheaper brands/makes these days.

American made yes - but some other countries are in fact coming on rather fast of late, and in the end does one go after features/flashing lights or sound/reliability?, it's a hard task for certain - but one which should be easy enough to gain insight on in regards to long term usage as opposed to wasting ones funds and selecting wisely to begin with.

Cheers,
:tears:_oh
 
Back
Top Bottom