• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Shootout

I've read often here about the importance of current in amplification. I've not seen a comprehensive way to determine what a particular amp's peak current delivery is at low impedance transients -- say 2 ohms for example.

Or, if that's the wrong question, what is the correct one? What are the characteristics of an above average current source?
 
The US ProAc distributor told me a couple years ago that their speakers were being voiced with Audio Research amps. Not sure about the truth of it but that is what I was told.
 
The US ProAc distributor told me a couple years ago that their speakers were being voiced with Audio Research amps. Not sure about the truth of it but that is what I was told.

That's correct, but that's way above my pay grade. Now they use Sugden, and I actually think it contributes to their more 'modern' voicing of the newer offerings.
 
I still say that the LM with 216ia with the KT88's would likely be ideal. Great power supply, well designed circuit and a nice tube complement.
 
I will check them out, but it doesn't have to be KT88, right? I don't know much about tubes, but el34 seems cheaper...
 
The very generalised rule of thumb is that KT88 does a better job with large orchestral whilst EL34 would be more 'musical'.
 
I still say that the LM with 216ia with the KT88's would likely be ideal. Great power supply, well designed circuit and a nice tube complement.

So they're about U$1,400 shipped from China. What's the dealer price there?
Based on the reputation of LM, I'd go with this option (for $1,400) if it were me as well.
 
So they're about U$1,400 shipped from China. What's the dealer price there?
Based on the reputation of LM, I'd go with this option (for $1,400) if it were me as well.

Dealer price is $1850 here. Worth every penny to me but everyone hears differently and everyone has different priorities with sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom