• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker wire update-- Don't use extension cords!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sensitivity is more revealing of what is recorded, revealing more noise from turntable vibration....so much so that people with revealing speakers swap out equipment and make a multitude of improvements to defeat line noise and vibration until a huge amount of sonics in soundstage is accomplished. With lower sensitivity, you don’t hear flawed recordings or a difference in cables or all of the frequencies recorded. But for sensitive speakers you need an ultra quiet low distortion amplifier. Then a person can hear a difference in the cables they use, but first I would suggest a hearing test prior to the expense of any equipment.

For the new AVR’s that people use now, there is so much functionality in the circuitry that unless you have great hearing as most people don’t....your not gonna hear the difference. So better cables are only for a small nitch of specific high end audio equipment. The real situation about cables is that no one mentions what equipment that they are using....

Just their opinions....

Better question, why has no one with virtually unlimited funds for these cables and very expensive equipment, even been able to do to convince anyone other than argue on audio forums about it?

Seems if it was that much better, they could EASILY design a demonstration to show/demonstrate what they say.
In other words I see a lot of talk, but nothing ever convincing put forth to bolster these "opinions"
 
Better question, why has no one with virtually unlimited funds for these cables and very expensive equipment, even been able to do to convince anyone other than argue on audio forums about it?

Seems if it was that much better, they could EASILY design a demonstration to show/demonstrate what they say.
In other words I see a lot of talk, but nothing ever convincing put forth to bolster these "opinions"

What motivation would they have? To convince someone else?
 
Seeing this argument is a old one.
With no clear end in sight.

I'm fine using extension cords for speaker runs.
Been doing it for plenty of years with never a problem.

I have seen the insides of many a speaker cabinet and units. With the wires and connections being used from the factory to have seen thin or even solid steel wires in many applications.

Always make sure the connections are tight, clean and secure.
 
To end the endless bickering on most audio forums?

If they make specific performance claims then someone might take them to specific task. As long as it's left all touchy feely, so to speak, then it's no harm, no foul for any sort of implied performance claims.

Either way it seems not to matter much because many, perhaps most, have pretty liberal return or exchange policies which typically fixes any disgruntled purchaser issues.
 
If they make specific performance claims then someone might take them to specific task. As long as it's left all touchy feely, so to speak, then it's no harm, no foul for any sort of implied performance.

I guess the simpler answer, is that the burden of proof is always on the one making a (extraordinary) claim.

If someone attributes great improvements to a cable, they must have some "proof", otherwise, its just mostly hot air.
By having nothing backing up what they say, they are almost inviting bickering or "Popcorn" memes...lol
 
Seeing this argument is a old one.
With no clear end in sight.

I'm fine using extension cords for speaker runs.
Been doing it for plenty of years with never a problem.

I have seen the insides of many a speaker cabinet and units. With the wires and connections being used from the factory to have seen thin or even solid steel wires in many applications.

Always make sure the connections are tight, clean and secure.

I have literally seen bell wire used in some vintage speakers. :(
 
I guess the simpler answer, is that the burden of proof is always on the one making a (extraordinary) claim.

If someone attributes great improvements to a cable, they must have some "proof", otherwise, its just mostly hot air.
By having nothing backing up what they say, they are almost inviting bickering or "Popcorn" memes...lol

There is no burden of proof, take what is said or leave it.
Why would stating what others should know is an opinion invite bickering?
 
Don't use speaker wire to power your air compressor or freezer.

Carry on.
Not even my 12 ga zip cord? Lol, I found some 12 guage zip cord in my stash I was using for a home made subwoofer decades ago. I just looked, 250ft of 12 guage zip can be had for under $50, delivered. It looks like copper...?

I think the math says, 12 guage copper is good for 200ft+ runs, for more than just speakers. My question might be, can you have too much guage wire? I recall some belief that at lower levels, there was some risk that there isn't enough signal to "heat that much cross section of wire" and there's some resulting impact on the signal? Like, using 2/0 jumper cable wire, might cause some impact on the signal? It might be a myth.
 
Or, the cable just sounded better.....
Total sidetrack but glad to see you here.
For whatever reason, I remember reading your posts all the time and then didn't notice seeing for some time.
I was a little worried about you.
Glad your well:thumbsup:
 
Yea, I agree. The wire production sector has long been established. You get what you get. The cost to alter the alloys, processing, tooling, etc would be hundreds of millions, if not billions to gear up for anything that isn't already a catalog item. There's no market for that type of investment. But that doesn't keep marketeers from creatively "shaping" and "informing" buyers imaginations, with suggestion, and a brilliant new break-thru product! What does imposteur mean again?
 
... My question might be, can you have too much guage wire? I recall some belief that at lower levels, there was some risk that there isn't enough signal to "heat that much cross section of wire" and there's some resulting impact on the signal? Like, using 2/0 jumper cable wire, might cause some impact on the signal? It might be a myth.

I'd opine the biggest risk from 2/0 cable is breaking off the connectors on your gear. That will definitely impact the signal.

Far as heating, I don't believe you want any. Typically heating of a wire/cable means losses; fine for the electric blanket or toaster or light bulb, but for connection between amp and speaker it would mean too small of cable, not too large.
 
I once demoed speakers that, to my ears, had no discernible treble, and no imaging whatsoever. The salesman tried various esoteric speaker cables to try to correct my impression of his speakers. While there were small but significant differences in sound, there really was no improvement. In fact, one particular set of huge cables with boxes at both ends worsened the sound dramatically.

In my own setup, 12 ga silver-coated-copper cable sounds just the same as plain old 12 ga AR speaker cable from home Depot, Monster Cable, 12 ga flat cable from Amazon, and giant LC-OFC multiple Litz wire cable meant for Apogees.
 
I've always wondered what effect adding one strand of pure gold wire into a multi-strand copper speaker wire would have (and what it would add to the cost)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom