tomt
Well-Known Member
i still feel this wayNone ...
Ever ...
For Any Reason-
not even the funky bose driver, that was in the trash -
![]()
well ....
i don't wanna anyway
i still feel this wayNone ...
Ever ...
For Any Reason-
not even the funky bose driver, that was in the trash -
![]()
well ....
i don't wanna anyway
Love to see a picture @Billy Oxygen ...




Just be aware that active components in DT speakers such as built in sub woofer amps fail and replacements aren’t always availableJust picked up some small but very impressive Definitive Technology SM45 speakers and been spending two weeks with them thinking it would take a lot for me to sell them as they are very big sounding small speakers! Super clear as well. Bass extension down to 35hz for a 12 inch tall speaker is quite impressive.
Thanks but these are passive speakers? 2 way so I don't think anything would fail (?) Very nice sound!Just be aware that active components in DT speakers such as built in sub woofer amps fail and replacements aren’t always available
KLH Model 6 that I purchased around 1976 and restored a couple of years ago. Yes, there are many better out there and many that are worse. For a nearly 50 year-old two-way, I'd have to say they have stood the test of time. I like the KEF Metas in my office space, but the KLH are still capable of keeping me going in the home gym.What speakers you own and will never sell, why?
What speakers you want to own to keep, why?
me:
NHT 3.3 - classic, wanted it since I was young.
B&W 801 or 802 - looks awesome
JM Lab Mezzo Utopia - look and sound amazing
Bass extension down to 35hz for a 12 inch tall speaker is quite impressive.
The DefTech is actually flat down to 70Hz or so, then –6dB at the port tuning frequency.
Thanks for the clarification! They do sound good though! The link to the review you posted also supports that they sound good as has any user reviews that are out there. They sound ss good as my KEF Q150 which is great. Very happy with them in music and movies in two channel mode so far.It would be impressive if that were at only -3dB. However, Definitive Technology has the habit of listing frequency response numbers without specifying a tolerance, so that could be at -10dB or -50dB or anything else. It certainly isn't at -3dB, because if it were, they would want to brag about it instead of not specifying a tolerance for the claimed frequency response. So, basically, their frequency response claims are meaningless, because they are not claiming any tolerance for the frequency response.
However, we are in luck, because someone has measured them:
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 45 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
Sidebar 2: Measurements I examined the performance of one of the DefTech speakers with DRA Labs' MLSSA system. I used a calibrated DPA 4006 microphone to measure the speaker's frequency response in the farfield, and an Earthworks QTC-40 mike for the nearfield responses. I estimated the SM 45's...www.stereophile.com
They are absolutely not flat down to 35 Hz, though the bass is good for such a small speaker at its price point.
Also, though, if you look at the other measurements at the link above and compare with Definitive Technology's specifications, you will see that their other specifications are sometimes misleading at best. One might just say they are liars when it comes to their claims about their speakers.
Despite the measurements the reviews below seem to state they are quite good which I can only agree with, very nice sound :It would be impressive if that were at only -3dB. However, Definitive Technology has the habit of listing frequency response numbers without specifying a tolerance, so that could be at -10dB or -50dB or anything else. It certainly isn't at -3dB, because if it were, they would want to brag about it instead of not specifying a tolerance for the claimed frequency response. So, basically, their frequency response claims are meaningless, because they are not claiming any tolerance for the frequency response.
However, we are in luck, because someone has measured them:
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 45 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
Sidebar 2: Measurements I examined the performance of one of the DefTech speakers with DRA Labs' MLSSA system. I used a calibrated DPA 4006 microphone to measure the speaker's frequency response in the farfield, and an Earthworks QTC-40 mike for the nearfield responses. I estimated the SM 45's...www.stereophile.com
They are absolutely not flat down to 35 Hz, though the bass is good for such a small speaker at its price point.
Also, though, if you look at the other measurements at the link above and compare with Definitive Technology's specifications, you will see that their other specifications are sometimes misleading at best. One might just say they are liars when it comes to their claims about their speakers.
Thanks for the clarification! They do sound good though! The link to the review you posted also supports that they sound good as has any user reviews that are out there. They sound ss good as my KEF Q150 which is great. Very happy with them in music and movies in two channel mode so far.
Thanks for letting me know I had no idea about that. Regardless I got the speakers at a pretty decent price and they do sound fabulous and based on other consumer reviews they seem to agree. The build quality is also on par with my KEF q150 so pretty happy about that. Whatever bass they do have will surprise you as I use them without a sub and they thumpYes, it is a curious thing. Definitive Technology has the reputation of making good speakers, but then putting misleading specifications on them, making them seem better than they are. Even though, telling the truth would not make them look bad, because they are actually pretty good.
Evidently, they believe that they will sell more speakers with deceptive claims, but I find their deceptive claims off-putting, and they make me not want to ever buy their speakers.
Speakers I regret selling right after I let them go:
ELAC DEBUT B5- Same with the previous poster on the B6, these original AJ Elacs sound very nice!
Thanks for letting me know I had no idea about that. Regardless I got the speakers at a pretty decent price and they do sound fabulous and based on other consumer reviews they seem to agree. The build quality is also on par with my KEF q150 so pretty happy about that. Whatever bass they do have will surprise you as I use them without a sub and they thump
It’s more important how they sound then measure…